While the iPhone 5 won’t be available to consumers until late next week, anticipation around its updated software has been building among New Haven’s tech entrepreneurs for some time. With Apple’s recent announcement in San Francisco unveiling enhancements to both the software and hardware of their widely celebrated smartphone, leaders from three tech firms in New Haven were eager to discover the implications for their businesses. Developers from startups in New Haven’s Science Park expressed optimism that the new features of the iPhone would enable them to create more sophisticated applications for their clientele. However, Nick Jaensch, the founder of Shizzlr, a software company based in New Haven, highlighted a recurring concern: the potential for Apple to incorporate smaller companies’ innovations into its own software.

The latest software update offers developers access to improved functionalities, including Apple’s mapping services, Facebook integration, and enhanced camera capabilities. Derek Koch, CEO of Independent Software, which specializes in developing websites and mobile applications for local startups, expressed particular enthusiasm for the map’s turn-by-turn navigation and real-time traffic updates. He also noted that the update has made integrating Facebook’s features into apps more seamless for developers.

This context underscores the importance of users learning about common troubleshooting techniques. As new software updates introduce advanced features and integrations, the complexity of navigating these changes can increase for the average user. Understanding basic troubleshooting methods can empower users to resolve minor issues independently, enhancing their overall experience and ensuring they can make the most of the latest technological advancements. This knowledge is crucial for adapting to the rapidly evolving digital landscape and maintaining the functionality and performance of their devices amidst continuous software upgrades.

“Part of how we get ready for a platform change like this is by … getting in and playing around in the context of the new product,” he said. Koch added that he and his team ask themselves, “What’s changing and how does it affect our current products?”

Jaensch, whose company helps users discover local events and places and share them with friends in a group chat, hopes to be able to incorporate a new iPhone feature called Passbook into Shizzlr. Passbook is a built-in application developed by Apple that collects boarding passes, loyalty cards, coupons and movie tickets and uses GPS to send notifications “at the appropriate time and place,” according to Apple’s website. By tapping into Passbook, Shizzlr will enable users to make plans in a group chat on sites like movietickets.com, buy tickets with friends, and scan them at the theater using Passbook — all without leaving the app.

Several of the iPhone’s new hardware features also present local entrepreneurs with the opportunity to improve their products. The new A6 processor, which is both two times faster and 22 percent smaller than its predecessor, will help Jaensch make Shizzlr run faster. Developers will also have more screen real estate to work with as the screen is now 4 inches, up from 3.5.

Along with the potential for product improvements and new innovations, though, Apple announcements also carry with them a good deal of uncertainty.

Jaensch said that before these events he often feels nervous that Apple might make his company irrelevant by incorporating its services directly into their software. This worry is not unfounded, he added, as other companies like Instagram may be threatened by new social features in the default Photos app revealed on Wednesday. This time around, Jaensch said, Shizzlr was not affected negatively by the updates.

The iPhone 5 is set to go on sale on Sept. 21 at a starting price of $199.