Students adjust to party registration policies

A handful of off-campus parties were shut down by the Yale Police Department during the first Camp Yale under new party registration guidelines, but fraternity leaders said they were unsure whether the policy contributed to the police’s activity.

Administrators announced on Aug. 10 that all off-campus parties with over 50 students must be registered with the Yale College Dean’s Office in an effort to increase student safety. A week after residences opened, student leaders said they were still skeptical about the effectiveness of the rule.

“It’s too early to tell what the effects will be and if they will match the stated goals,” said Will Kirkland ’14, president of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity.

Under the new policy, a “host” must register parties and take responsibility for attendees, and the Dean’s Office will relay the information about parties to the YPD so officers can monitor them. John Meeske, associate dean for student organizations and physical resources, said the Dean’s Office has received roughly 10 to 15 registrations over the last week.

Kirkland said his fraternity had a closed, registered mixer on Saturday that was broken up by the YPD. But he said the fraternity did not receive any complaints about the event and the officers’ reason for entering was “unclear.”

“[The YPD officers] did say at the end that they knew about the event because it was registered, but at the beginning they were asking me if it was registered,” he said. “I don’t think that our event on Saturday was in any way dangerous, so I don’t know if it really helped anyone to end it.”

The YPD did not respond to a request for comment.

Billy Fowkes ’14, president of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity, said he registered SAE’s Monday open party and met with YPD officers beforehand, as is standard procedure. Though the party was broken up by the YPD around 1 a.m., he said, the night went smoothly overall, adding that large crowds and the subsequent police action may be due to annual Camp Yale activity.

Meeske said he knew of one unregistered party that came to his attention because of a noise complaint, adding that the administrators will “be pursuing it and talk to the host to see what they have to say.” He said since the Dean’s Office knows where students live, administrators are able to identify the host of unregistered parties from the address.

“We can find out who lives at a certain location and talk to those people,” Meeske said, “and if necessary, the Executive Committee could possibly bring them in for some conversation.”

If incidents of underage drinking are discovered, ExComm will engage the host in a conversation and determine whether disciplinary action is needed, he said, adding that ExComm would be more amenable to hosts who had registered their parties. He said that it will be difficult to determine where intoxicated individuals received alcohol.

Under the new rule, Meeske said, Yale HEALTH still maintains a policy of accepting transports without disciplinary action, and Yale University Health Services Director Paul Genecin said in a Tuesday email that Yale HEALTH has not adjusted its policies about “evaluating and treating and transferring students who become intoxicated.”

Yale College Council President John Gonzalez ’14 said the YCC found out about the new regulation when the rest of the student body did, though the council plans to work with administrators to ensure the rule does not become “intrusive.” The YCC executive board met with Meeske Tuesday afternoon and intends to meet with Yale Police Department Chief Ronnell Higgins in the coming weeks.

Meeske distributed a link to the party registration form in an Aug. 22 email to the student body.

• JE14

> **Meeske said he knew of one unregistered party that came to his attention because of a noise complaint, adding that the administrators will “be pursuing it and talk to the host to see what they have to say.” He said since the Dean’s Office knows where students live, administrators are able to identify the host of unregistered parties from the address.**

>**“We can find out who lives at a certain location and talk to those people,” Meeske said, “and if necessary, the Executive Committee could possibly bring them in for some conversation.”**

Big Brother Meeske needs to go. He’s being mad creepy. Can we start a petition to have him removed?

• ldffly

Get rid of these people. They’ve stuffed the college with too many students, now they continue to get paid handsome salaries to think up stuff like this and send the YPD to break up non trouble making parties. Great.

Just think, you could have gone to State U., been regarded as a genius by faculty, and you wouldn’t have to put up with this level of oversight. I’ll say it again, if this rule is an attempt to keep students within the confines of the campus, this is the wrong way to go about it. Shrink the size of the college so the facilities are adequate.

• eli1

It would be nice if John Gonzalez would grow a pair and actually take a stand against the administration. Unfortunately, I am pretty sure he wont out of fear of upsetting Comrade Miller.

Students will “adjust” to anything —–even being murdered : (Kent State, 1970).

I know.

Paul D. Keane

M. Div. ’80

M.A., M.Ed.

• River_Tam

If you’re off-campus and get a noise complaint, the NHPD should deal with you the same way it would deal with any other noise complaint in New Haven. No need to involve the Yale administration at all.

• HighStreet2010

Who are these cops? Do they report to the Dean’s office or to the people of New Haven?

If the former, why do they have the authority to enter off-campus property? If the latter, why are they asking about Yale registration status? Or, if both, how is it legal that the Yale administration has injected itself as a civil authority?

Get me the law club!

• ldffly

These are certainly the right questions to ask. Maybe the way to explain this is that Yale is still the 800 pound gorilla within New Haven. Over the decades, it’s only been a few times that Yale even has had its wrist slapped. After all, who has more legal muscle to flex than Yale?

• MC09

We alumni should check with Mr. Meeske if it is OK for us to have parties after we graduate. It is unclear if, or when, the nanny university ends. I plan on emailing john.meeske@yale.edu about my Halloween and Thanksgiving plans, just in case.

Also, this the proper opportunity for the YCC to make a stand. Have they ever done anything?

• public_editor

As I read before on the comments section of the YDN, the only way to sink this thing is for EVERY person living off campus to register EVERY night of the week. The status-quo would return to the pre-registration days.