Featuring ocean-blue walls and a small waterfall, a new boutique aims to lure shoppers on Chapel Street with a Bali-like atmosphere.

Agabhumi, a Bali-themed clothing and accessories store, celebrated its grand opening at 1020 Chapel St. storefront Thursday. New Haven is the fifth location for the Agabhumi brand, which operates two other stores in Connecticut as well as stores in California and Barbados. Agabhumi’s location on Chapel Street is directly across the street from Vanderbilt Hall.

Co-owner Regina Kirshbaum said in a press release that the New Haven store will employ effects like the indoor waterfall and wood and copper accents to “emit the tropical essence of Bali.”

“We are delighted to welcome Agabhumi to New Haven,” said Abigail Rider, director of University Properties, Yale’s real estate arm, which owns the property. “Agabhumi’s unique merchandise promotes a new awareness of Balinese culture and complements the diversity of the many fine offerings of the shops at Yale.”

Students’ reaction to Agabhumi’s opening appeared positive on the whole. Of five students interviewed, four said they thought the store’s concept was interesting and that they would like to learn more about its offerings.

“I feel like most of the stores on Chapel cater to an older crowd, so I think this could be a unique addition to the street,” Sara Hendel ’14 said. “If the interior is catchy and the jewelry or accessories are cute, I think people will want to go inside.”

But students interviewed also expressed uncertainty regarding whether the store’s Bali-inspired style would be popular among Yalies or other New Haven shoppers.

“The store seems to cater to a specific interest, so I don’t know whether to expect it to be popular or not,” said Connor Lounsbury ’14.

Agabhumi was founded in 2002 with the opening of its flagship store in Stamford, Conn.