The Massachusetts State Police is seeking criminal charges against Michael Gocksch ’12, the driver in the May 26 crash that killed his girlfriend, Marina Keegan ’12.

Gocksch faces charges of motor vehicle homicide by reckless operation and reckless driving, as well as a citation for a marked lanes violation. The charges will be reviewed by a clerk magistrate at a hearing in Orleans District Court on July 5, and if probable cause is found, a criminal complaint will be issued, followed by an arraignment.

“This [case] is at the preliminary stages of the determination as to whether or not a criminal case is warranted,” said Cape & Islands Assistant District Attorney Michael Trudeau, whose office will take over the case in the event of criminal charges.

Gocksch was driving east along Route 6 near Dennis, Mass., when he lost control of his 1997 black Lexus, causing the vehicle to drift into a guardrail and roll over at least twice, according to the Massachusetts State Police.

Keegan’s parents told the News in May that Gocksch had fallen asleep at the wheel and that Keegan was sleeping in the passenger seat, with her chair reclined. Both passengers were wearing seatbelts, and police said speed did not appear to be a factor in the crash.

Following the crash, Keegan was declared dead at the scene and Gocksch was taken to Cape Cod Hospital, where he was released later that day.

Reached Friday afternoon, Gocksch and Tracy Keegan, Marina’s mother, declined to comment.