The lightweight crew team dominated its second regatta of the season this Saturday, winning all four races against MIT and Georgetown on the Charles River in Boston. Carried by the momentum of last weekend’s four-race victory over Naval Academy, the Bulldogs took home the trophy of the annual boat race, the Joy Cup.

Yale’s 3V 4+, 1F 8+, JV 8+, and V 8+ boats defeated those of MIT in each race, and head coach Andy Card said he considered the regatta successful in that it was the second sweeping victory in as many weeks.

Card said the race was slow — over six minutes for the 2000m course — due to a strong headwind, but that the water was calm and the weather conditions were not overwhelming.

The first race of the day was the 3V 4+, in which each team raced a four-person boat instead of the usual eight-person boat. Team captain David Walker ’12 said this was because MIT and Georgetown did not have enough rowers to fill a third varsity eight.

Oarsman Joshua Ruck ’13 said despite the early morning start, the team was energetic and the 3V 4+ set the tone with a solid first race.

Yale’s 3V 4+ pulled ahead of MIT and Georgetown early in the race, and finished in 7:18.1. MIT finished in 7:25.8 and Georgetown in 7:54.8.

The first freshman eight race followed and yielded similar results: Yale maintained the lead for most of the race and posted a winning time of 6:24.3. MIT and Georgetown were neck-in-neck for second place, but the Engineers edged out the Hoyas by just 0.4 seconds, 6:37.8 to 6:38.2.

Only Yale and Georgetown raced in the JV 8+, and Yale cruised to victory with a time of 6:20.9, 17.6 seconds ahead of Georgetown’s 6:38.5.

The final race in the regatta was the varsity race, in which the No. 2 Bulldogs took on No. 3 Georgetown and No. 11 MIT.

Card said he expected the race against the Hoyas — the “Crew of the Week” on row2k, the American rowing record website — to be intense, and it was. Yale won the close race by only 1.9 seconds, finishing at 6:10.2. Georgetown finished at 6:12.1, and MIT was well behind at 6:43.0.

“I think the varsity had a poised race, although not perfect by any stretch,” Card said. “Those were two very good crews out there, Georgetown and Yale.”

Next Saturday, the Bulldogs face a doubleheader in two different New Jersey locations: they will take on Penn and Columbia in the morning and Cornell in the afternoon.

Card said the three upcoming opponents will be hard to beat, and Ruck added that it will serve as a good measuring stick to see how the Bulldogs stand against three fast opponents while racing twice in a day.

“The rowing season seems like it takes a long time to get here, but when it does it goes by fast,” Card said. “Right now we are only two races in, but actually we are one-third of the way done. So far, so good.”

Yale has won the Joy Cup every year since 1979, except in 2006 when there was no race.