A windy weekend produced mixed results for the men’s and women’s golf teams.

The men’s team kicked off its spring season with the Yale Spring Opener at the Course at Yale on Saturday. The men placed fourth out of 13 teams, falling to Tennessee (574), Dartmouth (591), and Seton Hall (602), with a score of 618. The women’s team, which competed at the Brown Invitational on Sunday and Monday in Providence, placed fourth out of 11 teams, with a score of 629 and scored the lowest of any team on Monday, posting a 313.

“Obviously we have a lot to work on… [but] I definitely don’t think we’re worried,” team captain Jeffrey Hatten ’12 said. “If anything it will motivate us individually and as a team to step it up a little bit.”

Although the men’s team said it was disappointed by its performance at the tournament, team members said they understand they played under difficult course conditions. Hatten said that the team may have lost some of its home course advantage because it is not used to playing in such high winds.

High winds were also a significant factor in the women’s tournament, team captain Lily Boettcher ’12 said. The first day had less wind, Seo Hee Moon ‘14 said, and the Elis placed fifth with a score of 316.

On the second day of competition, the wind kicked it up a notch and so did the Bulldogs. The team posted the best score of any team (313), which Boettcher said is a particularly impressive feat because of the challenging weather conditions.

The five women who contributed to the Elis’ team score were Sun Park ’14, Moon, Joy Kim ’13, Alex Lipa ’13, and Callie Kemmer ’12. In addition, Boettcher and Shreya Ghei ’15 competed individually. Moon had the lowest individual score on the second day of competition (72). Moon placed fourth in the overall individual competition and as followed by teammates Park and Boettcher who placed 12th and 15th respectively.

On the men’s team, the top five competitors were Hatten, Bradley Kushner ’13, Sam Bernstein ’14, Will Davenport ’15 and Carson Weinand ’13. Hatten posted the best score for the Bulldogs, +12, and tied for 14th in the individual standings. Other individual highlights of the tournament included Hatten and Kushner’s first round scores of 74, and Berstein’s second round score of 75. Despite these successes, no one walked away from the tournament satisfied with his play, Davenport said.

The men’s team members said they are looking forward to continued matchups in the upcoming weeks, particularly with Ivy League rival Dartmouth. The next three weekends Yale will compete in the same tournaments as the Big Green. Both Hatten and Davenport said that while they have the upmost respect for Dartmouth as a team, they hope the upcoming weeks will yield a different result in the Yale-Dartmouth contest.

Both the men’s and women’s teams are focused on the coveted Ivy League title. The men’s team has two more tournaments before the Ivy League Championships, including one this upcoming weekend at Princeton. Hatten said the team would like to gain more experience playing under pressure before Ivies and defend its first place finish from last year in the Princeton Invitational.

When it comes to the Ivy League Championships, Davenport said despite the team’s finish at this tournament, he thinks the Bulldogs will come together at the end of the season when it matters. Boettcher expressed a similar sentiment about the women’s team, saying that the team is headed in the right direction and will be ready for its Ivy League Championship tournament.

The Ivy League Championships will be held in Galloway, N.J., on April 27-29.

MONICA DISARE