In protest. The Yale Muslim Students Association hosted a “Hoodies and Hijabs” day Thursday afternoon in protest of the murders of Trayvon Martin, an African-American teenager who was shot on Feb. 26, and Shaima Alawadi, an Iraqi Muslim who was found murdered in her home last month. Organizers urged students to wear either a hoodie or hijab — a Muslim headscarf — or both to protest discrimination based on an individual’s clothing.

Open to the world. Open Yale Courses, the initiative that makes video lectures of Yale College courses available for free online, added seven new courses to its website on Thursday. The courses range from philosophy and cognitive science professor Tamar Gendler’s “Philosophy and the Science of Human Nature” to history professor Paul Freedman’s “The Early Middle Ages” and courses in African-American history and organic chemistry.

Turn with our biological clock. A new study out from the Yale School of Medicine shows that many women don’t fully appreciate the consequences of delaying motherhood and think that assisted reproductive technologies can reverse aged ovarian function.

No more racket! A terrible, horrible, no good, very bad noise was coming from the Central Power Plant on Thursday, disrupting the lives of Swing Space residents. One emailer speculated that the sound could be caused by the transfer of natural gas, but said he had no way of knowing whether that’s the case.

Schedule changes. Payne Whitney Gymnasium will remain open Friday and Saturday, but will close Sunday for the Easter holiday, according to an email sent to students Thursday.

And we’re live. The pilot episode of “TOO DAMN LIVE” starring campus politico Michael Knowles ’12 and generally famous politician Jimmy McMillan, who rose to fame for claiming that the rent is “too damn high,” debuted Thursday night, to acclaim from several commenters on the website chattrspace.com.

Sparks fly. A number of the Democratic candidates for the U.S. Senate seat that will be vacated by U.S. Sen. Joe Lieberman ’64 LAW ’67 at the end of the year participated in a debate Thursday night in which one candidate — Lee Whitnum of Greenwich — accused U.S. Rep. Chris Murphy, the frontrunner for the nomination, of selling his soul to Israel.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1971 In a memo from Yale’s personnel director, the University opposes its employees’ efforts to unionize.