Getting famous. Allison Williams ’10 made an appearance on the David Letterman Show Tuesday night to promote her upcoming HBO series, the Lena Dunham-directed “Girls.” Letterman briefly called her performance in “Girls” “tremendous,” but then spent the bulk of the interview discussing Williams’ childhood and experiences as the daughter of TV news anchor Brian Williams. “It’s actually been very cool to have him as a dad,” she observed.

Bloomberg takes on NUS. In a column published to Bloomberg Tuesday, Clare Malone lays out the ways in which Yale can construct a campus in Singapore that does not violate academic freedom, based on her experience working for Georgetown’s School of Foreign Service in Qatar.

On the other hand. A column published to The Kent Ridge Common, a student publication focused on Singaporean affairs, questions whether a Singaporean university should want to partner with a university like Yale, which comes from a country in which corporations are people and government is the enemy.

Promise in effect. The deadline for high school seniors to apply for New Haven Promise scholarships passed Monday night, and preliminary numbers indicate that over 340 students applied. The final count will be announced at the end of the week.

No more $4 gallons? Gov. Dannel Malloy on Tuesday signed into law a bill that caps the wholesale gas tax in Connecticut. The cap will not significantly change gas prices, though — based on last week’s prices, the new cap will cut consumer costs by a little more than 1 cent per gallon.

Beginning of the end? Connecticut’s Senate will begin debating a bill on Wednesday that would repeal the death penalty, replacing it with life in prison without parole. Connecticut is one of two states in New England that has not repealed the death penalty.

New frontiers. The Yale Center for British Art will become one of six university museums to partner with Google in a user-friendly international art database, Google announced Tuesday. Launched as a 17-museum-archive in February 2011, Google Art Project will now include art from 150 museums around the world, including the YCBA.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1965 Investigations continue into the mass death of 150 pigeons on the New Haven Green. Poisoned bread crumbs are the main suspect.