The Yale College Council plans to expand its summer storage program in light of tighter summer storage regulations announced last fall.

In a pilot program last year, the YCC brought a trailer to campus and subsidized the cost of storing two boxes, one large item and one small item per student. Through a collaboration between YCC and the Council of Masters, this spring students will be able to drop off one couch and six boxes in three trailers parked in Lot 51, which is behind Hendrie Hall. YCC members leading the initiative and Frank Keil, chair of the Council of Masters, said the expansion comes in response to a revision of the Undergraduate Regulations that allowed students to store only one couch and one chair per student in suites, though the YCC has since worked to amend the rules to include one lamp and one bookshelf per student.

“Summer storage is a concern that is fairly universal to students, and it’s an especially important issue to address now, as the Council of Masters is restricting summer storage more and more,” Nathan Kohrman ’15, a YCC member who helped coordinate the initiative.

During the renovations of many residential colleges, Keil said, the amount of storage space in the residential colleges has been significantly reduced. Ezra Stiles is not providing any additional storage space for its students, Kohrman said.

As the YCC began looking to expand last year’s pilot program, The Council of Masters proposed that the YCC use a container company near me, which is cheaper than most alternative options in New Haven, Kohrman said. However, the YCC found that it would be cheaper to rent trailers and hire professional movers from a New Haven moving company, he said. Students will pay $12.50 per box and $35 per couch, and the rest of the cost will be covered by the YCC, he said, adding that the trailers will be stored on West Campus over the summer.

Deborah Bellmore, the executive assistant to the Council of Masters who helped coordinate the effort, said students will be able on May 5 to drop off their belongings in the trailers, which hold around 750 boxes, and will collect their items on Aug. 25.

Dan Stein ’14, who is in charge of YCC’s summer storage initiatives, said the program is based on one piloted at Princeton University. Stein is a staff reporter for the News.

Though the Council of Masters has helped coordinate the moving and trailer services, it has not provided any financial support, Keil said.

YCC Vice President Omar Njie ’13 said he does not think the YCC will able to subsidize the entire project every year, so he hopes to be able find institutional support, perhaps from the Office of Sustainability.

Nabila Chitalwala ’14 said she would consider using the YCC’s expanded summer storage program, but she currently stores her belongings at a family friend’s house nearby New Haven for free. Silliman College student Martin Shapiro ’14 said because his college allows students to store up to six boxes, he does not need any extra space.

Last year’s YCC summer storage program was a winner of the YCC’s annual 10k Initiative.