Immigrant coalition heads to capital

The Connecticut State Capitol building in Hartford.
The Connecticut State Capitol building in Hartford. Photo by Wikimedia Commons.

Over 70 New Haven workers and immigrants’ rights advocates travelled to Hartford Wednesday to protest the federal deportation program that launched in Connecticut that day.

As the controversial U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement program known as Secure Communities rolled out statewide, the group delivered a letter to Gov. Dannel Malloy expressing “alarm” at the program, which will begin checking fingerprints of suspected criminals against ICE databases today in an effort to deport criminals living in the country illegally. Meanwhile, the Yale Law School’s Worker and Immigrant Rights Advocacy Clinic asked a federal district court to expedite a class action lawsuit it filed against ICE’s use of detainers on criminal suspects in the wake of Secure Communities’ implementation in the state.

“Implementing [Secure Communities] poses a real threat to every state resident, no matter the person’s citizenship or immigration status,” the letter submitted to Malloy said. “[Secure Communities] incentivizes racial profiling, undermines community policing and burdens Connecticut taxpayers.”

While members of the Yale College Democrats, MEChA -— Yale’s Chicano student organization — and Connecticut Students for a DREAM were slated to attend the rally at the state capitol building in Hartford, leaders of the student groups said none of their members were able to attend.

Still, the letter submitted to Malloy was signed by 24 organizations across the state — including the above — and spearheaded by Armando Ghinaglia ’14, policy coordinator of Connecticut Students for a DREAM. Because Secure Communities works with law enforcement officials directly under the governor’s supervision, Ghinaglia said the coalition believed going directly to Malloy with their concerns would be the most effective course of action.

The letter asks Malloy to “publicly resist the hurried implementation of a deeply flawed program” by directing state law enforcement officials not to comply with detainers issued under the program.

While the governor was not on hand at the state capitol to receive the group when it arrived shortly after 11 a.m., Mike Lawlor, the state’s undersecretary for criminal justice policy and planning, accepted the letter on Malloy’s behalf.

In a Tuesday email to the News, Lawlor said Connecticut’s Department of Correction will decide whether to honor ICE’s detainment requests on a case-by-case basis.

Malloy’s office adopted that position after New Haven Mayor John DeStefano Jr. and several city and state officials held a press conference at City Hall Monday, asking the governor to distinguish between serious and low-level offenders in handling detainment requests. Through Secure Communities, when ICE officials have reason to believe a suspect may be undocumented, they can issue a detainment request to the state, allowing the suspect to be held for up to 48 hours, during which immigration officials decide whether to initiate deportation proceedings against the suspect.

The city did not receive any word of detainment requests from ICE on Wednesday, City Hall spokeswoman Elizabeth Benton ’04 said. In the past several days, the city has warned that the ICE program will harm the New Haven Police Department’s efforts to revive community policing in the city.

NHPD Chief Dean Esserman, who has shaped the department’s return to a community policing strategy since being sworn in last November, said the program threatens to erode trust between the city’s immigrant population and the police department.

Members of the Law School’s Worker and Immigrant Rights Advocacy Clinic are questioning the constitutionality of the immigration detainers used by ICE under Secure Communities.

“Detainers are the linchpin of the Secure Communities program. Without them, the program cannot function,” said Matthew Vogel LAW ’13, an intern at the clinic. “But confinement pursuant to these ICE notices is unconstitutional and unauthorized by Congress. The Department of Correction cannot hold people without lawful authority to do so.”

ICE also launched Secure Communities in New Jersey and Maryland on Wednesday.

• DaveFrancis

There is so much corruption in Washington and the state level, which is why illegal entry is not a felony. This is unquestionable tyranny against the will of the people, that Washington DC has no intention of approving any real immigration enforcement? That we must keep paying for everybody who flies in from anywhere, climbs the fence or just parts the simple barbed rusty wire and slips through. I, like millions of other patriotic Americans are furious and frustrated for paying my fair share for the upkeep of anybody who can steal into America. Ron Paul, contender for the White House is correct, when he stated at the last debate in Arizona, put the troops that are in Iran and Afghanistan and deploy them fully armed along the border.

There is only one cure for the corruption in federal agencies and that is joining the TEA PARTY. Thousands of fraudulent programs will be exposed and billions of dollars will be saved. This confronts the rot that has entered the Democratic and the Republican parties, and the astronomical deficit that America is suffering from. Read some unrevealed evidence at Judicial Watch, that is a legal non-profit website. Judicial Watch is the opposite of the Communist backed ACLU; a panderer to the illegal alien invaders. In addition, NumbersUSA gives you in depth analysis of costs to taxpayers and insider news from Congress. Lastly, the positive controversial website of “American Patrol” gives you one-click bridging news editions to the nationwide media, where the truth prevails in articles suppressed by the overwhelming Liberal press. It is only new TEA PARTY leaders will reveal the corrupt in Congress and return us to a small efficient government, with no free crony handouts to wealthy donors.

Why doesn’t Congress revise the original E-Verify plus bill introduced by Judiciary Chairman James Sensenbrenner (R-WI) and Homeland Security Chairman Peter King(R-NY) in 2005? The Border Protection, Anti-terrorism and Illegal Immigration Control Act (H.R. 4437) had all the stringent enforcement needed? It required the use of E-verify and made it a felony to be in the USA illegally. It also increased penalties for employing illegal workers to $7,500 for first time offenses, $15,000 for second offenses, and $40,000 for all subsequent offenses. It also, caused the housing of removed aliens to become a felony crime. It passed in the House by a vote of 239 to 182, but questionably it didn’t find passage in the Senate?

• DaveFrancis

The usual stomach churning zealots complained, so REAL IMMIGRATION ENFORCEMENT never took center stage, with the combined efforts of a variety of migrant, humanitarian, and religious organizations, and other radical groups. Policies that providing federal or state welfare as UNFUNDED MANDATES forced on all the American population by court order and extorted from your taxes. By neither political party voting for the new mandated version of E-Verify or the Birthright Citizenship bill, millions still attracted by jobs and a free reservoir of welfare programs, will still buy a seat on a international flight as a tourist or just cross that border. If Governor Brown doesn’t veto it, every illegal alien who applies
    at the DMV should be reported to ICE; better still have an ICE agent standing by the DMV clerk.

PRIOR TO ANY CHANCE OF OBAMA BEING RETURNED TO THE OVAL OFFICE, EVERY VOTER MUST PUSH THE SENATE AND HOUSE POLITICIANS TO FORCE PASSAGE OF “THE LEGAL WORKFORCE BILL” AND SECONDARY “THE BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP BILL”. VOTERS MUST DRIVE THEIR LAWMAKERS TO DO THEIR BIDDING, AND CALL THEM AT THE OFFICE & TELL THEM THEY WILL BE LOOKING FOR A JOB IF THEY DON’T SPONSOR THESE LAWS? MORE JOBS WILL BE LOST IF WE DO NOT STOP ANOTHER AMNESTY, THE COST $2.4 TRILLION DOLLARS AS STUDIED BY THE HERITAGE FOUNDATION.

To some extent revitalized E-Verify, “the Legal Workforce Act (H.R.2885) will heavily penalize businesses for hiring illegal aliens, who are stealing jobs from the majority of low income workers. Second in line of Merit is the “Birthright Citizenship Bill (H.R.140) that by Amendment, will prevent the welfare abundance of public welfare check assistance to the illegal parent of a child smuggled or already here, if neither parent is a U.S. Citizen.

The E-Verify system can identify illegal migrants and immigrants after hiring and unless they can further substantiate their immigration status, they will be dismissed. This is an easy, none evasive and simple way to qualify an applicant, by inputting the personal data in a company terminal. Then to resolve any discrepancy you travel to nearest Social Security office. Mitt Romney has spelled E-Verify out, as “ATTRITION THROUGH ENFORCEMENT—or Self Deportation. Anything that actually works as “SECURE COMMUNITIES (286 G.), are suddenly under bombardment. The problem that administration sees that is locating illegal aliens through fingerprints, even with individuals with criminal infractions. But the ICE czars in Washington are giving them presidential treatment and not deporting them? Even if they have stolen an American citizens Identification, they are being released back into the mainstream of the country.

• DaveFrancis

Join your chapter of your local TEA PARTY. Only the TEA PARTY LEADERSHIP has the backbone to shred the current tax code and provide a fair and equitable tax system, without any loopholes for anybody. Every possible means available currently and in the future will be utilized to secure our borders, to halt Sanctuary Cities, Chain Migration, but adopt a regulated Guest Worker program, without a path to citizenship. It is solely the obligation of every American voter to check for non citizens registering for all future elections. That every person voting must display official Picture ID, as there has been progressive voting by non citizens. The laws of the 1986 Immigration Reform & Control Act (IRCA) will be reanimated as original was to work. Sanctuary Cities will be banned and official who subscribe to any ordinance protecting illegal aliens will be sanctioned every possible means will be used to remove illegal aliens from this country and benefits stopped. Illegal aliens will not be prosecuted for using stolen ID, including Social Security numbers and birth certificates.

Everybody is complaining about both parties in Washington, but cannot find a few minutes to contact their Senators or Congress persons at 202-224-3121 and demand the vote for both federal MANDATORY E-Verify or amend the ‘Birthright Citizenship’ Bill. Once enacted into law a massive exodus will commence, as illegal aliens and family members will return to their country of origin.