Students looking for a summer internship or job now have new tools to use in compiling their resumes and credentials.

Yale Undergraduate Career Services launched a set of online self-assessments last week that help students match their skills and interests with potential careers. The two resources — called “Do What You Are” and “Focus” — were made available only to sophomores as “something special” for that class, UCS Director Allyson Moore said. Over the course of the next year, UCS is planning to release other programs tailored to specific portions of the student body, she added.

“Students who are exceptionally bright, as our Yale students are, often struggle with determining an appropriate future career path,” Moore said. “And while assessments are not magic bullets, they do help students to reflect, identify their unique interests and narrow the field of career options they should further research, test and potentially explore.”

Moore said the tools, accessible through the UCS website, are designed to help students think about how their interests and personalities might relate to specific professional contexts.

“Do What You Are” asks students to answer a series of questions about conflict resolution and problem solving, and then generates personality assessments and lists of career fields that seem fitted to their responses. “Focus” uses information that students supply about their education and work experience to provide links to additional information about potentially suitable careers. Students must create separate log-in accounts to access each tool.

Moore said she encourages students to take both tests, as they serve different purposes. She added that students should visit the UCS office at 55 Whitney Ave. and meet with a representative to “debrief” the results of the tests.

“Do What You are” and “Focus” were announced to the class of 2014 in an email from the Sophomore Class Council last Thursday, and Moore said about 60 students have already registered for or expressed interest in an online assessment. But only one of 10 sophomores interviewed had heard of the new tools. Five of those students also said they have never utilized UCS services.

Serena Candelaria ’14 said she has not yet signed up for either a “Do What You Are” or “Focus” account, but would consider doing so if she does not line up a summer internship or job before the start of spring break. A member of Timothy Dwight College, Candelaria said that if she decides to use the new career tools, she would likely make the “relatively short walk” to UCS to discuss her results.

“I’m starting to get a little worried about what I’m doing this summer and whether I’ll gain any experience for future jobs,” Candelaria said. “Hopefully these new tools will help me figure out what aspects of my personality and resume to emphasize that play to my strengths.”

But Zach Bell ’14 said he was not aware of the new online tools, adding that he thinks UCS needs to do a better job publicizing its resources.

Other student resources on the UCS website include sample resumes, cover letter advice and interviewing tips.