AL-ALUSI AND HAMID: Fighting Islamophobia at Yale

Since the end of the Jim Crow era, politicians have dressed racism in the rhetoric of food stamps and illegal aliens. But as the past 10 years have shown, it seems that politicians need no such disguise for Islamophobia.

Unspoken assumptions often provide more insight into American public opinion than what can be explicitly stated. Public figures today assume that they can openly disparage Muslims, thinking that Muslims are worthy of our fear and hatred. This Islamophobia pervades the discourse of the Republican primaries. Putting aside the claim, still common today, that Barack Hussein Obama is secretly a Muslim, let’s take a look at what some of the current and former GOP hopefuls have to say about Islam.

While he was a frontrunner in the race, Herman Cain said he would never appoint a Muslim to his cabinet and that the majority of Muslims hold extremist views. You would have to work hard to be more blatantly intolerant than that. What is even more deplorable, however, is that this comment had little to no impact on his popularity.

Newt Gingrich, who famously claimed that Palestinians are “an invented people,” is known for his support of patently Islamophobic anti-Shariah legislation, such as the bill Alabama State Senator Gerald Allen proposed last year that would ban courts from citing Shariah and other foreign laws. When asked at a press conference to define Shariah, Allen was unable to muster a response. It turned out the text of Allen’s bill that defined Shariah was lifted from Wikipedia.

Even the moderate frontrunner, Mitt Romney, based much of his 2008 campaign on the need to combat “violent, radical Islamic fundamentalism.” In a debate last month, he claimed, “The right course for America is to recognize we’re under attack … [by] radical violent jihadists around the world.” It is exactly this sort of simple-minded explanation of world events that feeds America’s growing paranoia of Islam and Muslims. If this is the rhetoric we tolerate from a man who might be our next president, imagine the kind of discrimination that Muslims face on a day-to-day basis.

You don’t need to go very far to see the real consequences of negative attitudes towards Muslims. Yale Muslims — your classmates — have been (and, judging by the direction of our society, will continue to be) victims of Islamophobia. Rakibul Mazumder ’13 recalls growing up in post-9/11 New York City, where he faced random searches and profiling on a weekly basis. To his surprise, the hate followed him to Yale; he recalls being harassed by drunken partiers one night with anti-Muslim slurs.

Parents of Muslims students said their goodbyes at the beginning of last school year knowing that their sons and daughters were coming to New Haven just as Connecticut Muslims had requested police protection for Friday prayers. “Politicians and pundits are playing the fear-mongering game,” said James Jones, president of the Masjid al-Islam mosque on George Street. “It absolutely scares me.” For Muslim Yalies, the safety of being Muslim in New Haven has come into question.

As the Alabama state senator’s inability to define Shariah attests, much Islamophobia is based in utter ignorance of Islam. College campuses have historically been influential in combating such ignorance, and Yale in particular has been exemplary in this regard. In the 1960s, Yale Chaplain William Coffin organized busloads of students to challenge racism in the Jim Crow South. Those Yalies put themselves in harm’s way to combat hate.

However, the situation today is often different from the Jim Crow South and merits a different response. Today, we can be informed and inform others. To promote this goal, the Yale Muslim Students Association recently organized Islamic Awareness Week, hosting events every day that exhibited a different side of Islam and Muslims — one based in truth rather than fear.

In the tradition of the Yalies who opposed Jim Crow, we must spread the word: people like Herman Cain are wrong. Not only are they wrong, but the Islamophobia they represent has no place in acceptable public discourse. Just as it was absolutely unacceptable for the mayor of East Haven to make offensive statements against Hispanics, so too should we be outraged about inflammatory comments against Muslims.

While Islamophobia is frightening for so many reasons, Yalies have a chance to make their mark in stemming the growth of intolerance. Educating ourselves is an important first step in eradicating this hateful mindset and progressing to a more respectful public discourse.

Mostafa Al-Alusi and Faisal Hamid are juniors in Morse and Trumbull Colleges. They are the president and vice president of the Muslim Students Association.

• Quals

What the MSA does not realize (but other Yalies do, even if they don’t have the guts to say it) is that the fuzzy warm tolerant brand of Islam that they try to present is nowhere near what is actually practiced in many Muslim countries. I’m certainly not concerned with the Muslim neighbors in my hometown, but there is no denying that the multitude of Muslims in the world have very backwards ideas about the treatment of women and nonbelievers (amount other things).

I’m an atheist, and always have been skeptical and concerned with the negative side to every religion, from Christianity to Hinduism (so I’m not trying to single out Muslims here). But Islam is especially screwy, and screw cultural relativism, it’s not ‘Islamophobic’ to say that.

• Frashizzle

You’re kidding, right? The first comment on this article couldn’t possibly be so wrong. Christians and Jews can be (and are) just as radical if you take extremes and try to extrapolate them across a whole country. The comparison you’re trying to make would be like saying that the Klan represents the US… and you can’t even blame it on religion. Atheism can lead to just as much apparent extremism if you try to make these nationalistic extrapolations… ahem, the Soviet Union, ahem. I know that these extrapolations are blatant fallacies BUT SO ARE YOURS.

• Jaymin

Look, I know it’s a very sensitive issue, but Quals isn’t denying that any religion can be taken to absurd extremes; he’s talking about religion as it’s currently being practiced.

Yes, there are extremist Christian cults/communes scattered across the US, and Israel still suffers from vocal orthodox individuals. But, these factions don’t have the influence and political strength that extremist Muslim groups have in their respective countries.

I mean, I wish it were a fallacious extrapolation, but it really isn’t. There are extremist factions in Muslim states that hold an uncomfortable amount of clout, if not politically, socially. It’s just the state of things. Fortunately, it appears that for the most part, secular law is overwhelmingly winning out, but in the meantime, it’s still a real issue.

• Arafat

“While he was a frontrunner in the race, Herman Cain said he would never appoint a Muslim to his cabinet and that the majority of Muslims hold extremist views.”

It appears from the following information that Herman Cain is right:

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Pages/Opinion-Polls.htm

• yalengineer

These polls don’t reflect the Muslim American at all. It doesn’t even suggest that the majority of Muslims around the world hold extremist views.

• CrazyBus

Imagine if those views reflected even a simple majority of Muslims (>50%). That you consider having the majority hold extremist views as your standard for being concerned worries me.

• Arafat

Maybe Newt is onto something?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The United States Constitution was created by Christians. It is as incompatible with Islam as it was with Nazism and Soviet Communism.

The Bill of Rights guarantees to all law-abiding citizens the freedoms of religion, speech, and assembly and the right to bear arms, among others.

Islamic law — shari’a — denies those rights to non-Muslims and Muslim apostates, women, and little girls. Because shari’a is founded on the words and deeds of Muhammad, whatever he said and did is prescriptive for Muslims. This means that murder, sedition, treason, religious and gender apartheid, wife-beating, polygyny, and pedophilia are not only institutionalized, they’re “sacralized.”

It is time that all free people inform themselves regarding the tyrannical, fascist, intolerant, murderous, and depraved nature of Islam and resist it with all moral, rhetorical, political, legal, and — as necessary — martial force.

Freedom of Religion does not protect “kill the pagans wherever you find them” (Qur’an 9:5).

• whatwhat

Are you serious? the Bible says:

Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. (1 Corinthians 14:34-36)

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord. (Colossians 3:18)

Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing. (1 Timothy 2:11-15)

Slaves, accept the authority of your masters with all deference, not only those who are kind and gentle but also those who are harsh. For it is a credit to you if, being aware of God, you endure pain while suffering unjustly. If you endure when you are beaten for doing wrong, what credit is that? But if you endure when you do right and suffer for it, you have God’s approval. (1 Peter 2:18-29)

Last time I checked the Bill of Rights applied to everybody. So under your (jaded) criteria, looks like the Bill of Rights and Christianity are incompatible.

• RexMottram08

There has not been an attempt by violent radicals to codify and insert the Levitical laws into Western jurisprudence.

• whatwhat

So what purpose does it serve to mention that “the United States Constitution was created by Christians. It is as incompatible with Islam as it was with Nazism and Soviet Communism.” What’s this have to do with anything? Under your criteria, the United States Constitution is incompatible with Christianity as well. The fact that there are RADICALS that are members of extremist Islamic sects doesn’t mean Islam is incompatible with the Constitution.

And well, there has been an attempt by radicals to codify and insert the “Christian” laws in Western jurisprudence. Ever heard of Rick Santorum? And the Tea Party? Other crazies?

• RexMottram08

I wasn’t the OP. Ask him or her.

There is a difference between the way someone’s religion impacts their voting record on proposed legislation within a given legal system and the wholesale substitution of our legal system with a foreign (and totalitarian) legal system.

Have you even listened to Rick Santorum? The guy is a Catholic. His legal philosophy is Thomist-Aristotelian. Aquinas was opposed to theocracy! And so is Rick. Using the anthropoligical assumptions underneath your religious faith to explain some aspects of your voting record is hardly theocracy.

But then, for you, any mention of religion by a politician would provoke shouts of THEOCRACY!

• whatwhat

I wasn’t asking you.

“Santorum wants to impose ‘Judeo-Christian Sharia’”
            http://articles.cnn.com/2012-01-05/opinion/opinion_obeidallah-santorum-sharia_1_rick-santorum-santorum-two-santorum-one?_s=PM:OPINION

I would call this more than “the way someone’s religion impacts their voting record on proposed legislation within a given legal system.” Just because in America we have checks to prevent the passing of such ridiculous laws doesn’t mean Rick Santorum would hesitate to substitute our current legal system with one of to his taste.

• RexMottram08

I missed the quotes in that article where Santorum actually proposed specific biblical legislation. Instead it was just a bunch of boilerplate about how our laws should be just. Nice try.

• whatwhat

Just? Santorum? No.

• ycollege14

Are you kidding me? Have you been following the news at all surrounding the contraception debate? Catholic bishops, hello! Crazy conservatives who seem to hate women but disguise it in debates on “religious freedom”, hello!

• RexMottram08

Written like someone who hasn’t read anything about this issue.

• CrazyBus

This just suggests to me that, regardless of what religion you follow, when you become a US citizen you are agreeing that the US law and Constitution supersedes any religious mandate. Which sounds fine to me.

• lakia

Nothing there about lopping off heads or flying into buildings. I’ll take a little subservience over head lopping, any day.

• Roonwit

Not to mention that the Founding Fathers (often of questionable Christianity and unquestioned Christian unorthdoxy) often mentioned “Mohammedans” among the people that would be welcomed to the United States.

• blueandwhite14

Your direct quotes and philosophical explorations are quickly becoming redundant, especially as I start to realize that you probably have not interacted with many Muslims in your life. Step inside a Muslim household in Egypt, or in the UAE, or in Algeria, OR IN THE US (!), and few will tell you that they agree that “pedophilia” and “wife-beating” are acceptable and are examples of the moral foundations of Islam. You get sentenced to death for raping someone in the United Arab Emirates. There are two sides to every story, and I’m so sick of people commenting on this article who seem to have never stepped into a Muslim household or country in their lives to educate themselves about the other side of the story. By taking a stance on one standpoint without being informed of the other, how do you expect to be taken seriously?

• Arafat

The more I learn about Islam the more I understand why people fear it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Patriarch Cyrus of Alexandria on Islam

“I am afraid that God has sent these men to lay waste the world”.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gregory Palamus of Thessalonica on Islam

“For these impious people, hated by God and infamous, boast of having got the better of the Romans by their love of God…they live by the bow, the sword and debauchery, finding pleasure in taking slaves, devoting themselves to murder, pillage, spoil and not only do they commit these crimes, but even – what an aberration – they believe that God approves of them. This is what I think of them, now that I know precisely about their way of life.”

• Jess

The comments on this piece thus far are utterly horrific. Mostafa and Faisal, your piece is great, but the word “Islamophobic” is too kind to these people–the appropriate word is RACIST.

• MapleLeaf14

Agreed 100%

• RexMottram08

Race has nothing to do with it. Some of the worst criminals are home-grown, Anglo-Saxon Muslim converts.

• Jess

That doesn’t mean that the ridiculous fear-mongering Islamophobes engage in isn’t patently racist.

• RexMottram08

It is civilizational suicide not to fear enemies with the will for nearly unlimited violence.

All of your multi-cultural well-wishing won’t earn one moment’s hesitation by a suicide bomber.

• Jess

It is pure, unadulterated racism to suggest that the entirety of Islamic civilization has the “will for nearly unlimited violence.”

• RexMottram08

You do know that Arabs and Muslims are different, right?

You are the only one harping on race…

Who’s racist now?

• Jess

Who’s talking about Arabs? Muslims don’t have to be a coherent “race” in order for discrimination against Muslims to be racist.

• RexMottram08

You have now left earth and are in orbit around the moon.

• River_Tam

Rex is arguing that the religion of Islam is predicated on a “will for nearly unlimited violence”. It’s a wrongheaded belief (in my opinion), but it’s not racist.

• lakia

Yes because attacks on Christians and Jews are always politically correct while attacks on Islamists are just R A C I S T. What a double standard this so called “religion” demands. Call it what it is…… a THEOCRACY. (THEO CRAZY)

• Jess

It is completely absurd to say that the Muslim community has been silent on terrorism. If anything, the (racist) assumption that all Muslims tacitly support terrorist attacks because “Islam condones them!” means that many of the swiftest and strongest condemnations of terrorist attacks have come from the Muslim community.

• RexMottram08

A healthy community has antibodies that expel dangerous viruses.

The Muslim community has been more like a punch bowl. And one or two violent turds ruins the entire punch bowl.

• River_Tam

No, sorry. The Muslim-American community is hardly “pro-terrorism”. But the much of the “Muslim leadership” (whatever that means – I never know who decides who’s the leader of various ethnic groups) in the US has taken the same unfortunate attitude that Malcolm X took after the JFK assassination – that 9/11 was a case of “chickens coming home to roost”.

• xfxjuice

This is the first time I have agreed with you.

• Tan

I think we might need a superhero called Good Muslim, who goes around foiling the injustices of extremist Muslims.

• Musicality

You know, the comments on this page sort of illustrate the authors’ point.

• RexMottram08

The authors’ would have us believe that Muslims were the real victims of 9/11

• Frashizzle

They were. 2,000 Americans die so we go our of our way to hurt a billion people. WTF?

• JE14

lol… I was waiting for this one. You actually have the cojones to say that Muslim’s were the real victims of 9/11. Ladies and gentlemen, I think we just reached the pinnacle of stupidity.

• RexMottram08

Finally, the liberal mind exposed under the microscope.

“Saying mean things about Muslims” is morally equivalent to flying planes into buildings.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is how blasphemy laws happen. This is how people die because of a cartoon of Mohammed (peace be upon him but what about us?)

• blueandwhite14

Ladies and gentlemen, here is an example of pure stupidity. The Muslim TERRORISTS who flew the planes into the Twin Towers deserved to die. Mean things CAN and HAVE been said about them, by Muslims and non-Muslims alike. True, the innocent people who were killed by this attack in New York didn’t deserve to die. IN ADDITION, the innocent Iraqi/Afghani (mostly Muslim) citizens living their own lives thousands of miles away didn’t deserve to die either. Unless, of course, you believe that every Muslim in the world should be punished for the actions of a small but powerful extremist group.

• eli1

Until I see more of these peaceful muslims taking a stand against muslim extremists (which I do not see occuring enough), I will not change my views on Islam.

• piersonpiersoncollege

How about you start looking.

• 81

This is actually the most idiotic, inaccurate, offensive video I have ever seen.

• JE14

Make an actual argument.

• Frashizzle

Someone needs to because the idiot in your video doesn’t. I can’t argue baseless anecdotes (anecdotal evidence is only admissible in a structured argument if they come from a source other than the speaker; what you’ve posted is hate speech).

• xfxjuice

Obviously you don’t live in Europe, or you would actually understand that what he says in that video is completely true.

• Frashizzle

I live in the land of rational argumentation.

• 81

That video doesn’t make an actual argument. The guy just lists off assertions and generalizations. He’s obviously not interested in engaging anyone in a rational discussion, and neither are you.

• lakia

Well tune into a few BEHEADINGS and then do a comparison.

• JE14

^This exactly. Just look at Pakistan that was supposed to be our ally and a “good” guy they were knowingly (I can’t believe no one knew) hiding Bin Laden. Reflects poorly on the entire faith.

Also one of the points made in the column, “Gerald Allen proposed last year that would ban courts from citing Shariah” SO WHAT? I’m sorry Shariah has no place in a court room, it’s backwards, medieval law, we don’t follow european medieval laws anymore either, why should islamic backwards law have a different treatment. If you want your Shariah move to a place like Iran or Saudi Arabia where that’s the norm. Don’t impose your laws in our country. When you immigrate into a country you abide by that countries laws.

• RexMottram08

Not entirely accurate. The Roman (including Roman Catholic canon law) legal tradition teams with British common law to form the foundation of Western law.

But indeed you are correct regarding the unsuitability of sharia law in the United States (or anywhere for that matter)

• Jess

Should the actions of the United States government be taken to represent Christianity at large?

No, because that would be ridiculous.

Also, accusing American Muslims of trying to institute Shariah in the US is not only insulting to them, but to your own intelligence.

• CrazyBus

Christianity is also not the state religion of the US; whereas Islam is the state religion of Pakistan. This is a fallacious analogy

• Frashizzle

ARE YOU PEOPLE INSANE? How can something “reflect on an entire religion.” You’re all acting like a thundering heard of talking heads regurgitating the same “blah blah blah 9/11″ BS that you’ve been fed by Fox News. The general rules for using comments to create a constructive discussion is this: if you don’t have anything smart to say, don’t say anything at all.

Written by a Christian.

• ncfed

First off, there is no such thing as Islamophobia because phobia implies an irrational fear. There is every reason to rationally be afraid of a faith based on violence and murder. They feel the need to spread their faith by sword, and we have every right to be worried and search them at will. What these authors term Islamophobia is no different then being cautious about walking through a crime ridden area at 3 in the morning.

Simply put, when it comes to terrorism, searching Muslims is less racial profiling, and more like the profile of a suspect. If the school hears that a white male has a gun in his room and is going to commit a crime, I would have no problem if the police were to search my room, because I have nothing to hide. Muslims are either terrorists or terrorist sympathizers and they should be treated as such. If you aren’t hiding anything, then let them search you and prove them wrong.

• ncfed

Also, I take issue with these peoples assertion that fights about food stamps and illegal immigrants is racist. ILLEGAL immigrants are illegal. They’re criminals. Just like rapists and murderers break laws and are punished, the same should be true of illegals. As for food stamps, any race can collect them. I personally am for disallowing welfare dynasties and putting a limit on it (such as in the case of widows/disabilities). If you are able and looking for work and need some help, fine. However, leeching from the government is wrong regardless of the race.

• Frashizzle

Wow! This is the first time I’ve every seen the “I would have nothing to hide” argument come from someone who wasn’t wearing a white hood.

• JE14

I agree with you, as someone who has an olive tone, and looks very Mediterranean, I get “randomly searched” every time I go into an airport. Am I angry about it? Do i call it antisemitism or racist or anything like that? No, because I know that I fit the profile of a terrorist better than let’s say a 3 year old Swedish girl.
      It’s just a fact, statistically there are more such suicide bombers, so it’s natural to go after the group that fits the description best.

• Frashizzle

Just throwing it out-there. Anyone who understands game theory… or even just thinks-things-out a little bit, would realize that profiling makes the system more vulnerable. Say you have a 50% chance of being frisked without profiling but with it you have a 75% chance if you fit description X and 25% otherwise. Do you think radical groups will try to use a person fitting X? No, because they’re smart. … or at least not stupid.

• ncfed

Which is why there has been no successful terrorist attack since 9/11

• Frashizzle

Remind me of the successful attacks before 9/11… before we started profiling

• CrazyBus

You are assuming that in this particular game, that there are equal (or similar) numbers of people fitting descriptions X and Y in that particular radical group.

• Frashizzle

It’s not contingent on that assumption (formal proof unnecessary because of obviousness), just that there is one.

• CrazyBus

It is contingent because of the population fitting Y description is too small, it becomes much more difficult to organize, especially considering how spread out such small populations would be. It becomes much more logistically convoluted if that radical group has to rely only on the small Y population for action.

Specifically relevant to suicide bombings, the population is a non-renewable resource, in which case the size of the population matters even more.

• Frashizzle

Umm… really they were. 2,000 Americans die so we go out of our way to hurt a billion people? An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. An eye for 500,000 eyes means we’re the radicals.

• JE14

So your solutions is??

“Let’s just stand here and wait until they do it again. The lives of 2000 people is nothing, we need to understand, they had reasons, let’s just turn the other cheek”

• Frashizzle

Oh, yes, remember all of the attacks that occurred before and after 9/11? It certainly wasn’t just an anomaly (sardonic).

• JE14

This is the logic that led to WWII in the 20th century. Go ahead and follow it if you want.

• Frashizzle

If the logic of peace, love, and acceptance leads to war, than I am a war monger. I am both a Christian and an American; if one of us fails to accept another religion with all of the dignity and respect of his own, then he deserves neither title.

• yalengineer

I congratulate MSA on having the courage to write this column because they are not going to have a fun weekend. This board is just full of people with traditional views on race.

• Arafat

I appreciate your attempts to find a way that Islam can come into the modern world but I think all such attempts will fail. Islam, unlike any other major faith is, as Bertrand Russell observed almost a century ago, the only religion which is totalitarian in structure and ideology. And there’s no reforming a totalitarian ideology.

You can’t have a kinder, nicer Nazism or a reformed Marxism. Totalitarian ideologies must be discarded. They can never be squared with such things as liberty, true democracy and equality under the law. I don’t doubt that many Muslims now and in the future will be pretty much passive about all the pathological instructions that their religion demands of them, but that is not germane. The religion itself, in all its totalitarian make-up, will remain and, guaranteed here, will always function as a death cult for at least a certain percentage of Muslims when they don’t get their way. Ultimately, it’s the relgion itself which is rotten and, though personally not religious, I don’t see rottenness in any other major faith. The Islamic theological blueprint is flawed to its very core. No other religion’s theological blueprint is. This is the essence of the problem.

• Arafat

Here is a recent statement from a group of Bangladeshi apostates living in the UK explaining the reasons why they have abandoned Islam:

“One who claims to be a messenger of God is expected to live a saintly life. He must not be given to lust, he must not be a sexual pervert, and he must not be a rapist, a highway robber, a war criminal, a mass murderer or an assassin. One who claims to be a messenger of God must have a superior character. He must stand above the vices of the people of his time. Yet Muhammad’s life is that of a gangster godfather. He raided merchant caravans, looted innocent people, massacred entire male populations and enslaved the women and children. He raped the women captured in war after killing their husbands and told his followers that it is okay to have sex with their captives (Qur’an 33:50). He assassinated those who criticized him and executed them when he came to power and became de facto despot of Arabia. Muhammad was bereft of human compassion. He was an obsessed man with his dreams of grandiosity and could not forgive those who stood in his way…

The statement continues,
    Muhammad was a narcissist, like Hitler, Saddam or Stalin. He was astute and knew how to manipulate people, but his emotional intelligence was less evolved than that of a 6-year-old child. He simply could not feel the pain of others. He brutally massacred thousands of innocent people and pillaged their wealth. His ambitions were big and as a narcissist he honestly believed he is entitled to do as he pleased and commit all sorts of crimes and his evil deeds are justified.”

• ignatz

Well, now. We have a dozen or so people pointing out the real-world depradations of real-world Islam and expressing their revulsion. And we have another dozen or so who are outraged that anyone would generalize from the acts of individual Muslim terrorists (who actually SAY they’re acting in the name of Islam!) to the religion itself. In other words, one group is dealing with reality, and one group is locked in its PC-think body armor, with “Don’t Hurt Anyone’s Feelings” tatooed on the back of their necks. The irony is that the Islamic jihadists (like the one arrested TODAY on his way to bomb the U.S. Capitol buildiing) don’t differentiate between these two groups; they want to kill everyone in both groups. Yes, there’s a problem out there. No, it isn’t “Islamophobia.”

• Jess

If I kill a Harvard student and say I did it in the name of Yale, is it Yale’s fault?

• JE14

Only if
        1) it’s written in yale’s mission statement
        or
        2) The majority of yalies are happy that you did it and condone your action.

Wait but that’s what Islam does. so… I fail to see your point.

• Jess

There’s no way you can be this stupid and go to Yale. I call troll.

• CrazyBus
    • Arafat

Regardless of what his birth certificate may or may not have said, Timothy McVeigh was not a religious man (in fact, he stated explicitly that he was agnostic and that “science” was his religion). At no time did he credit his deeds to religion, quote Bible verses, or claim that he killed for Jesus. His motives are very well documented through interviews and research. God is never mentioned.

The so-called “members of other faiths” alluded to by Muslims are nearly always just nominal members who have no active involvement. They are neither inspired by, nor do they credit religion as Muslim terrorists do – and this is what makes it a very different matter.

Islam is associated with Islamic terrorism because that is the association that the terrorists themselves choose to make.

Muslims who compare crime committed by people who happen to be nominal members of other religions to religious terror committed explicitly in the name of Islam are comparing apples to oranges.

Yes, some of the abortion clinic bombers were religious (as Muslims enjoy pointing out), but consider the scope of the problem. There have been six deadly attacks over a 36 year period in the U.S. Eight people died. This is an average of one death every 4.5 years.

By contrast, Islamic terrorists staged nearly ten thousand deadly attacks in just the six years following September 11th, 2001. If one goes back to 1971, when Muslim armies in Bangladesh began the mass slaughter of Hindus, through the years of Jihad in the Sudan, Kashmir and Algeria, and the present-day Sunni-Shia violence in Iraq, the number of innocents killed in the name of Islam probably exceeds five million over this same period.

Anders Breviek, who murdered 76 innocents in a lone rampage on July 25th, 2011, was originally misidentified as a “Christian fundamentalist” by the police. In fact, the killings were later determined to be politically motivated. He also left behind a detailed 1500 page manifesto in which he stated that he is not religious, does not know if God exists, and he prefers a secular state to a theocracy. Needless to say, he does not quote any Bible verses in support of his killing spree, nor did he shout “praise the Lord” as he picked people off.

In the last ten years, there have been perhaps a dozen or so religiously-inspired killings by people of all other faiths combined. No other religion produces the killing sprees that Islam does nearly every day of the year. Neither do they have verses in their holy texts that arguably support it. Nor do they have large groups across the globe dedicated to the mass murder of people who worship a different god, as the broader community of believers struggles with ambivalence and tolerance for a radical clergy that supports the terror.

Muslims may like to pretend that other religions are just as subject to “misinterpretation” as is their “perfect” one, but the reality speaks of something far worse.

• JE14

Crazy person, but an isolated incident. I don’t think any priest/bishop/pastor/rabbi whatever his religion is said that he was going to heaven. Prove me wrong?

• CrazyBus

Probably some of those Westboro folks would suggest that certain acts of terrorism (if against a particular group) would be justified.

• jamesdakrn

I don’t have problems with Muslims. I just hate it when Islam is used as a political ideology (and yes, it is used as a political ideology in the Middle East), and that must be destroyed. What we must understand, however, is that this brand of Jihad Islam was not always the case. That is not to say that it was all love thy neighbor while the “evil” christians attacked them in teh crusade. That means that at the time, it did no more evil than other major religions of the time. However, Islam has failed to adjust to the modern world. Partly as a reaction to imperialism and modern “Western” values that came to these Muslim countries, fused with a new sense of arab nationalism after the fall of the Ottoman Empire, many Middle Eastern societies fell into a sense of anomie as their entire world fell apart. In many socities when this happens extremism appears. When these people face the shock of the modern world, when cultures clashed, many turned to their “traditions” as a way of “preserving” their “good ol’ days” (which of course was further from the truth. The past is always misrepresented in people’s memories). And sadly, these people turned to a horrifying brand of their religion, turning to violence and resistance against their perceived oppression.

• ldffly

Is this a rehash of Edward Said?

• Jess

NO NO NO IT IS REALLY NOT

• ChrisPag

*cracks up*

• Arafat

Here we go again with the “Evil Crusades…” when in point of fact Muslim hordes had violently conquered all of the Middle East, all of North Africa, all of Spain and Sicily, most of Persia and large sections of the Caucus region and huge sections of Southern Asia. ALL this before the First Crusade was even declared!

http://www.americanthinker.com/2005/11/the_truth_about_islamic_crusad.html

• jamesdakrn

I meant that Islam was not all “love thy neighbor” while “evil christian crusaders” attacked them. I should’ve been more clear in what I meant, in that while I do not believe that Islamism was the victim in the Crusade,seeing as the Byzantines got their asses handed to them by the marauders and murderers under the name of Allah, I think that it was no more evil than any major religion of the time.

• Arafat

jamesdakrn….this one is for you:

Unreal.

So this is our fault. Or, am I mistaken and it’s colonialism’s fault or imperialism’s fault or Israel’s fault instead. It goes without saying it is not Islam’s fault and the repressive, violent, threatening doctrine that underlies that religion.

Problem is this does not explain why Islam is creating havoc and violence in Sudan, Nigeria, Kashmir, southern Thailand where 5,000 Buddhists have been violently killed by Muslims, or Lebanon where the Christian demographic has plummeted from 60% down to 30% in the last several decades and all their leaders have been assassinated, or Bangladesh and Pakistan where the Hindu demographic has also plummeted while the Muslim demographic in India has soared.

We all know this is not Islam’s fault for Islam is perfect. We all know instead it is those nasty Buddhists in southern Thailand who are causing the unrest, and the poor starving black Sudanese who are responsible for 2.6 million dead, and the Coptic Christians of Alexandria for their slow but steady extermination from a place they have called home for millennia.

It could never be Islam’s fault because we’re all liberal college punks and professors who are always going to blame the west for all the world’s problems. That’s the way it is and that’s who we are.

• jamesdakrn

It’s not imperialists fault that Islam turned nasty. It is their own fault for reacting in such a way to modernizing forces of Western Civilization

• jamesdakrn

Again, I think we are both agree that Islam in the modern world is definitely evil, for it has failed to adjust to the forces of modernization and imperialism (and I dont mean to use imperialism in a pejorative way.) What I also was saying that back in the day Islam was just another religion-prone to misuse and a lot of horrifying acts, just like the Christians did, the Greek-Roman religion did, like the Confucianists did in Korea to Buddhists/Christians, etc etc. I am not blaming the Western “imeralists” in turning Islam this way. The blame goes to the Islamic people to turning against the tides of modernization by going back to their misguided and violent roots. THe result is a barbaric, premodern, totalitarian ideology which glorifies human death.

• lakia

Not one point Arafat made can be refuted.

Propose erection of a minaret on campus and see how exactly phobic people suddenly become.

PK

• ldffly

A minaret would reflect nothing in Yale’s history or inspiration. People would rightly condemn such a construction. Maybe some opposition would be phobic, but the opposition itself would be in the right.

• River_Tam

All religious prejudice is ridiculous.

Faith is just that – faith.

On the other hand, we should treat with contempt any men who think women shouldn’t show their faces in public, or should be subservient to abusive husbands, regardless of what God they worship.

• alsoanon

This is a valid point. Too bad most of the commenters here have decided to scream TERRORISTS loudly and repeatedly instead of making potentially valid points about Islam.

Also, this isn’t a disagreement, but I’ll just point out that many sects of fundamentalist Christianity say women should be subservient to abusive husbands — and Orthodox Judaism forbids women to show their hair in public, wears pants, or touch men they aren’t married to.

• ColinRoss

The ignorance on display in these anti-Islam comments is breath-taking.

I’m disappointed that fellow Americans show such a level of intolerance that they denigrate as based on violence and murder, inferior and destined to be defeated, a belief system to which one in five human beings on the planet subscribes.

What’s equally disturbing is that those who insult Islam are following the  script that terrorists would like us to follow:

A criminal band of murderers and zealots kills thousands of civilians.

Al-Qaeda: remember, we did it for Islam and we represent Islam.
    Islamic world: no you don’t! There’s like a couple thousand of you. There’s over a billion of us.
    Anti-Islam ignoramuses: we believe you Al-Qaeda, you represent Islam. Let’s fight to the death, Islamic world.

The Muslim world does routinely condemn terrorist attacks by Islamic extremists, and Islamic countries, notably Indonesia (which, by the way, is the largest Islamic country in the world and a democracy), are in an on-going battle with their own Islamic extremists. But they don’t even have to condemn terrorists who claim an Islamic justification any more than white Protestants had to condemn the KKK for us to know that they weren’t exactly representative.
    If African-Americans in this country had believed the KKK when they said “we represent white America” we would still be in a racial war.

Don’t fall for the tricks of the extremists. Have a little faith that 20 percent of the world’s population is not intent on killing or forcibly converting you.

• basho

“Al-Qaeda: remember, we did it for Islam and we represent Islam. Islamic world: no you don’t! There’s like a couple thousand of you. There’s over a billion of us.”

Maybe if we put on our big-girl panties and present our ideas maturely, we’ll be taken seriously. Just maybe.

• alsoanon

I’m confused; are you saying his point is invalid because he made it in something other than academic prose (while ignoring the majority of his comment in the process)?

Maybe we’d take *you* more seriously if you put on your big-girl panties and refuted his actual points maturely and reasonably. Just maybe.

• basho

more or less, yeah

• CX

Must be a slow news day to drag this dead horse out again for some surefire controversy.

• Frashizzle

I like how a basic human right (freedom from religious persecution) is surefire controversy.

• Arafat

Colin,

Islam is unqiue. Buddhism is unique. Hinduism, Judaism and Christianity are too. Sure they share things in common but each is unqiue.

Here are some ways Islam is unique.

* Its prophet stole and pillaged his way to great wealth.
    * Its prophet was a lust who married about a dozen times and had countless sexual affairs outside of his marriages.
    * He raped and had his men rape women.
    * He led dozens of battles and started the concept of aggressive Jihad, building the caliphate or worldwide Ummah.
    * He brutalized men who got in his way. His men, at his orders, beheaded 600+ Jewish men in the village of Qurayza for refusing to convert to Islam.

Colin, all these crimes can be verified by studying the Qur’an, the Hadiths and Sira. In other words all these facts come from Islam’s holiest books, not from people like me who argue that Islam IS a religion that we should rightfully fear.

• sexxy1

Hi, yeah. But he also established the most tolerant empire OF ALL TIME. Besides, I really think Christianity takes the cake for mass genocide, rape, murder, war, racism, intolerance, and extremism in God’s name than any other religion ever. If you were to follow the same logic, all Christians should be put in prisons because surely, we have proven ourselves to be the most awful group of people in human history.

This is from an American Catholic Lady. Stop being silly.

• Arafat

“The Muslim world does routinely condemn terrorist attacks by Islamic extremists…”

Colin, this is simply untrue. One can Google “Imams praise suicide bombers” and find hundreds of videos where Imams, Sheiks and Islam’s top leaders do exactly that.

Or you can Google “Islam leaders praise violent Jihad” with the same results.

Colin, your comments are really poorly researched. You write things that are simply untrue and easily shown to be untrue. You really should learn more about Islam before pretending to know what it is you are writing about.

• Arafat

• The former Turkish Prime Minister Erbakan said – I quote: “The whole of Europe will become Islamic. We will conquer Rome”.

• Yunis al-Astal, a Hamas cleric and member of the Palestinian Parliament said – I quote: “Very soon Rome will be conquered.”

• Ali Al-Faqir, the former Jordanian Minister of Religion, stated that – I quote: “Islam will conquer Rome.”

• Sheikh Muhammad al-Arifi, imam of the mosque of the Saudi Defence Academy, said – I quote: “We will control Rome and introduce Islam in it.”
    Our opponents are hoping for an event that is akin to the freezing of the Rhine in 406, when thousands of immigrants will be given an easy opportunity to cross massively into the West.

• In a 1974 speech to the UN, the Algerian President Houari Boumédienne, said – I quote: “One day, millions of men will leave the Southern Hemisphere to go to the Northern Hemisphere. And they will not go there as friends. Because they will go there to conquer it. And they will conquer it with their sons. The wombs of our women will give us victory.” End of quote.

• Libyan dictator Kadhafi said, I quote: “There are tens of millions of Muslims in the European continent today and their number is on the increase. This is the clear indication that the European continent will be converted into Islam. Europe will one day soon be a Muslim continent.” End of quote.

• Arafat

“We reject the U.N., reject America, reject all law and order. Don’t lobby Congress or protest because we don’t recognize Congress. The only relationship you should have with America is to topple it. . . . Eventually there will be a Muslim in the White House dictating the laws of Shariah.” — Muhammad Faheed, Muslim Students Association meeting, Queensborough Community College, 2003

“Islam isn’t in America to be equal to any other faith, but to become dominant. The Koran should be the highest authority in America, and Islam the only accepted religion on earth.” — CAIR cofounder and longtime Board chairman Omar Ahmad, 1998 (denial noted and full story explained at link)

“I wouldn’t want to create the impression that I wouldn’t like the government of the United States to be Islamic sometime in the future.” — CAIR spokesman Ibrahim Hooper, 1993
    “If only Muslims were clever politically, they could take over the United States and replace its constitutional government with a caliphate.” — prominent American Muslim leader Siraj Wahhaj, 2002

• Arafat

Office of the Honorable Peter King, United States Congressman, 3rd Congressional District (New York)
    Fax: 202-226-2279
    June 12, 2011

Re: Scheduled hearings on “Radicalization” of Muslims in America

Dear Congressman King,

On June 20th, 2010 a letter was written to Congress concerning the widely unpopular idea of constructing a mosque in the shadow of the Ground Zero site in New York (a plan that thoughtful Muslims have also rejected). Contained in that letter were quotes from several Islamic religious leaders (Imams) in America:

Imam Amir-Abdel Malik-Ali
    Masjid Al Islam mosque, Oakland, CA

“We must implement Islam as a totality (in which) Allah controls every place… the home, the classroom, the science lab, the halls of Congress.”

Imam Abdul Alim Musa
    Al Masjid mosque, Washington, D.C.

“If you don’t give us justice. If you don’t give us equality. If you don’t give us our share of America. If you don’t stay out of our way and leave us alone, we’re gonna burn America down.”

Imam Muhammad Al-Asi
    Former Imam at the Washington, D.C. Islamic Center

“Now, all our imams, our public speakers, should be concentrating on militarizing the Muslim public … Only carrying arms will do this task.”

Imam Omar Shahin
    Tucson, Arizona Islamic Center; President, North American Imams Federation; spokesman for the six ‘Flying Imams’

“A Muslim must try his best to abide by the rulings of Sharia (Islamic law) whenever possible as much as he can. He should not allow himself to be liable to those western laws that contradict the clear-cut Islamic rulings.”

Imam Siraj Wahhaj
    Masjid Al-Taqwa mosque. Brooklyn, N.Y

“In time, this so-called democracy will crumble, and there will be nothing. And the only thing left will be Islam.”

Imam Zaid Shakir
    Former Muslim Chaplain at Yale University

“Muslims cannot accept the legitimacy of the existing American order, since it is against the orders and ordainments of Allah.”

Imam Feisel Abdul Rauf:

“I do not believe in religious dialogue.”

• Arafat

Polls:
    Mosque at Ground Zero polling:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20014737-503544.html
    http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2010/08/poll-nearly-70-of-americans-op.html

Further review of these statements show that they do not veer far at all from the following comments made by Islamic religious figures overseas or from remarks made by other prominent Muslims operating in the United States:

Imam Anjem Choudary
    British Muslim cleric:

“One day the flag of Islam will fly over the White House.”

Sheik Ibrahim Mudeiris
    Sheikh ‘Ijlin Mosque in Gaza

“We have ruled the world before, and by Allah, the day will come when we will rule the entire world again. The day will come when we will rule America. The day will come when we will rule Britain.”

2) “America will collapse … we consider America to be our no. 1.”

3) “Allah will drown the little Pharaoh, the dwarf, the Pharaoh of all times, of our time, the American president. Allah will drown America in our seas, in our skies, in our land… America will be destroyed.”
    http://archive.frontpagemag.com/readArticle.aspx?ARTID=8468

Abu Hamza al-Masri
    Imam in Britain

“The real weapons of mass destruction are the desire for martyrdom… Half a million martyrdom shaheed is enough for Muslims to control the whole of earth forever. In the end of the day, Islam must control earth, whether we like it or not.”
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-10435138-bring-jihad-to-your-own-door.do

Abd Al-Rahman Al-Sudayyis
    Imam at the Grand Mosque in Mecca

Jews: “The scum of the human race, the rats of the world, the violators of pacts and agreements, the murderers of the prophets, and the offspring of apes and pigs.”
    http://www.jihadwatch.org/2007/06/blogging-the-quran-sura-2-the-cow-verses-40-75.html

• Arafat

Sheikh Omar Bakri Mohammed
    Syrian-born British Muslim cleric

“We don’t make a distinction between civilians and non-civilians… Only between Muslims and unbelievers. And the life of an unbeliever has no value.”
    http://ussneverdock.blogspot.com/2005/07/britain-terror-warning-2-months.html

Ahmad Nawfal
    Jordanian who has spoken at rallies held on American soil

“If fundamentalist Muslims stand up, it will be very easy for us to preside over this world once again.”
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/569037/posts

Abu Bakr
    Australian Muslim Cleric

“I am telling you that my religion doesn’t tolerate other religion. It doesn’t tolerate. The only one law which needs to spread, it can be here or anywhere else, has to be Islam.”
    http://articles.cnn.com/2005-11-07/world/australia.terror.bakr_1_anti-terrorism-raids-jihad-abc-radio?_s=PM:WORLD

Mohamed Elmasry
    President of the Canadian Islamic Congress

“Any Israeli over age 18 is a legitimate target for suicide bombers because adult Israelis were required to do military service. They are part of the Israeli army, even if they have civilian clothes.”
    http://sheikyermami.com/2008/09/07/appeasing-canada%E2%80%99s-islamists/

The Arafat after whom the poster above takes his name was equally chatty YDN’s “Arafat”.

In fact he was a blabbermouth whose interviews I used to abhor because he sounded like a non-stop buzzsaw.

In the end, his inability to shut-up and listen—-to compromise — lost the one promise of peace in the Middle East and of a Palestinian state to present itself in the last 50 years.

Such a waste is male ego.

PK

• leciat

MSA student supports rounding up Jews to Israel to kill them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zuNva3j12X0

• yalie13

Oh how lovely. Yet another person who finds someone in the extreme and tries to paint it as a norm.

CX:

Employ FEMALE negotiators. (Although Hannan Ashwari is a buzzsaw know-it-all herself.)

Signed,

Ms.( not Mrs) Paul,

and definitely not comrade to anyone.

PS

The Palestinians are All Trees and No Forest.

The Israelis are All Forest and No Trees.

Different realities do not a compromise make.

PK

• ycollege14

Really? Is that the level that your “discourse” boils down to? Take your sexist and racist remarks to Hillary Clinton or any number of women in power doing amazing things, or even the women surrounding you on this campus, and see how such imbecilic views hold up. People like you don’t deserve to be in the company of women, who will most assuredly attain a higher level of grace, intelligence, and professionalism than you could ever dream of.

• CBKM

It is quite creepy to me how many comments have been removed from this post. I have no idea what was said, and I don’t really care. It seems beneath us. If condemnation (whether it is perceived as fair or otherwise) of a particular faith is as embarrassing and self-evidently wrong as many think it is, let the comments stand. Hiding them only makes people wonder and become sympathetic.

• JE14

I think it’s wrong to take them off. In essence religion is something midway between a life style and something similar to a political opinion. We condemn Nazism, we condemn pedophilia, incest, murder etc etc, why should we not be allowed to condemn a religion? Political correctness is going to be the downfall of Western Civilization.

Note to YDN: please don’t delete this comment… I’m trying to have a constructive conversation.

• basho

mine were removed because they were about drugs

• Arafat

Speaking of Nazism. Here is what Karl Jung said about Nazism and Islam. I hope YDN will not delete this comment:

A century later, historian Waldemar Gurian, in 1945, sees Burckhardt’s description of Muhammad as critically important for understanding Hitler’s temperament and historical role, both leaders having been consummate practitioners of reductionist demagoguery — “radical simplifiers.”
    Slightly earlier, during an interview conducted in the late 1930s (published in 1939), Karl Jung was asked: “ … had [he] any views on what was likely to be the next step in religious development?” Jung replied, in reference to the Nazi fervor that had gripped Germany:
    We do not know whether Hitler is going to found a new Islam. He is already on the way; he is like Muhammad. [emphasis added] The emotion in Germany is Islamic; warlike and Islamic. They are all drunk with wild god. That can be the historic future.

• yale_senior

فمن الواضح أن لديك بطن كبيرة ولكن آمل أن لا تعطيك فتق

في الكلمات من حيوان الموظ، والشوكولاته هو أفضل نوع من الحلوى

السلام عليكم

• River_Tam

ضحكت.

• Levi6969

ضحكت وأنا أيضا. ثم استأنفت أنا دفن ديكي في عمق حناجر الفتيات الفارسي الخبيث من الطيب وتورنتو. ضخ أنا بوشل من السائل المنوي يهودية كوشير في بطونهم. ورأى أنه جيد جدا. من فضلك لا تخبر والدي. انهم لا يوافقون على اختلاط الأعراق.

“reductionist demagoguery” ???

Don’t be so self-satisfied in your critcism of Islam.

Here is the ULTIMATE reductionist demagoguery:

< < John 14:6 >>

New International Version (©1984)
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

PK

• alalusim

Thank you to those who left comments or sent emails showing your support.

• JE14

You’re welcome.

• AmericatheBeautiful

No religion has any place in the US government– not Christianity, nor Judaism, nor Islam. Similarly, however, the US government has no place in religion. Just as we allow flourishing Southern Evangelism to govern the morals of its subscribers, just as we allow BYU to set strict behavioral codes in line with Mormon ideology, we must allow Islamic communities to practice their religion as they see fit. In kind, these religions must and nearly always do obey US law regardless of religious interpretation. When they do break our laws, we punish them, just as we punished that Christian right-wing militia in Michigan and as we punished the underwear bomber.

Many on this discussion board suggest that Islamic codes of conduct as set by Muhammad are incompatible with our way of life. These people assume that Islam is all or nothing, that interpretation does not vary among the faithful, and that this interpretation is inevitably violent. This is a foolish, dangerous, and naive worldview that puts US interests in danger across the world. As much as some would like it to be (i.e. Arafat), the world we live in is not black and white. Individuals do not fit conveniently into bigoted categories that the ignorant manufacture. Rather, we should independently assess each threat as it arises, not as a generalization, but in accordance with US law.

Abroad, the United States has no right to determine a country’s system of governance. Whether countries choose Islamic theocracies or representative Islamic democracies, the United States should always seek to establish positive relationships with popularly supported regimes. Unless that regime poses a direct threat to the United States or United States interests, neither our government nor our citizenry should advocate regime change.

The natural caveat to this position is that if actions by a particular group or country directly threaten the United States or United States interests, our country has EVERY right to intervene. When the Taliban refused to extradite bin Laden and his fellow extremists from Afghanistan, the US had every right to remove that regime that so explicitly threatened our security.

In conclusion, “Islamophobia,” regardless of how posters want to play with it semantically, has no place in our country. Provided the rule of law remains strong, which it inevitably will, our government will protect us at home and abroad from bigots and extremists alike. In the meantime, non-Islamic Americans have no right or reason to discriminate against those who have just as legitimate a claim to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness as we do.

Stay strong, America.

• yalie13

The incredibly repulsive and racist comments on this thread are so depressing. Humanity still has a long way to go….

America is tolerant as long as its WASP values prevail. If Yale erected a minaret on campus from which the call to prayer would ring out across the New Haven Green five times a day for Yale’s Muslim students , I doubt that New Haveners would tolerate it. Similarly, if Battell Chapel segregated its balcony for women only during services for Orthodox Jews, I doubt Yalies would tolerate it —-especially donating Yale alumni.

If Catholic students refused to contribute that portion of their tuition which subsidizes the Medical School’s courses dealing with birth control and abortion, and if they insisted that all morphine-drips (AKA do-no-harm euthanasia, masquerading as pain relief for terminally ill patients) be prohibited from the hospital bearing Yale’s name, I doubt they would be allowed to remain as students.

And if Christian Scientist students refused to contribute that part of their tuition pays for the Yale Health services and which supports medical research and Yale-New haven Hospital, I doubt the Yale administration would tolerate it.

It is the White Anglo-Saxon Protestant alumni who still run Yale.

PK

• basho

Yeah! And if Yale started preferentially accepting minorities instead of WASP applica…

oh…

• lakia

And who runs the Universities in Muslim nations?

• sonofmory

everyone is on financial aid anyway – so no one is really contributing anything! if you don’t like the way Yale does things – go somewhere else!

” if you don’t like the way Yale does things – go somewhere else!”

It ain’t that simple.

If Yale weren’t supposed to be the BEST the Academy has to offer in America, it would be simple to ignore its flaws. It is the process of a hundred thousand student and faculty sculptors’ hands molding this sculpture of Academic Freedom and cultural egalitarianism which Yale has become over the last 50 years, which is so interesting and so vitally important.

That effort to make Yale the best it can be, is what is difficult to abandon, precisely because Yale has the resources and the reputation to achieve that goal.

PK

• MC09

This is the first PK post in a long time I fully agree with.

• Athanasius

My heart goes out to the students and the Muslims that are in fact the subject of this editorial. I think it’s eminently clear from the storm of bullshit that constitutes these comments that countless people who have done absolutely nothing wrong have to deal with unspeakable amounts of undeserved invective on a day-to-day basis. This is a terrible thing. Thank you to Mostafa and Faisal for writing.

To all the rabid commenters above, I should let you know that you’re wasting your time. I assure you these students have heard it all before.

• AtticusFinch

The comment section here just demonstrates the fear and ignorance that is often wide spread in regards to Islam. Lest we forget many of things that were said about Japanese Americans after Pearl Harbor. Do not let history repeat itself. The actions of the few should not speak for the whole — not now, not then, not ever.

• blueandwhite14

This is what I would like to know:
    For those who are convinced that all Muslims support terrorists, and for those who believe that Islam is accurately depicted by such characters- have you ever been to a Muslim country in your life? Have you ever spoken to more than 10 Muslims in your life? Please, inform yourselves before posting embarrassingly inaccurate “facts” about Islam and Muslims. As a third culture American coming from a Muslim country, I can confirm that no Muslim (out of the MANY that I have spoken to) has ever supported 9/11, supported the Taliban, or accepted the views of extremist Muslims. So put away your literature for a second, turn off your TV, buy a ticket, take a trip to the Middle East and talk to a few people before speaking. Or, you could simply attend an MSA meeting and ask a few questions there. Get your facts straight.

• basho

I would say the cited literature is considerably better than a vague anecdote from an anonymous (and condescendingly “cultured”) internet commenter.

• MC09

Yes, I have. And the men (the only women you meet are educated sophisticates who oftentimes speak english to their international school friends) are extremely hospitable and friendly.

And then you get their opinions on women, honor killings, jihad, suicide bombing, Israel, 9/11 attacks, Osama bin Laden, and terrorism and they aren’t so hospitable to anything you actually care about.

• RexMottram08

A Montreal couple and their son were convicted of a multiple “honor killing.” Immigrants from Afghanistan, the Shafias had coolly plotted around the kitchen table the murder of all three of their daughters (plus one of the father’s wives), and then carried it out, by drowning them in the Rideau Canal near Kingston, Ontario — for the crime of wishing to live as North American teenage girls. The father was caught on tape saying, “May the devil s**t on their graves!” — which he gamely attempted on the witness stand to pass off as some sort of traditional greeting in Dari.

**Rex my dear (as Harold Bloom might say):
    You have a blind spot when it comes to Christianity:
    And this Montreal “honor killing” is less shameful than the Salem Witch Trials?
    And the “pressing ” (putting stones on top of a person until their guts burst out) of 83-year old Giles Corey for failing to disclose the names of those who spoke out against the Puritan theocracy which conducted the witch hunts?
    Or the burning of Joan or Arc?
    Or the dismemberment of Oliver Cromwell’s corpse and placing its severed head on the battlements to rot in public?
    Come now Rex.
    Bone up on Christian atrocities before you bore in on Islamic ones.
    PK**

• RexMottram08

Yes, I live in constant fear that those fanatical Puritans will crash into my downtown office building.

Cromwell got exactly what he deserved. You don’t overthrow the Stuarts, and slaughter Scots without receiving a bit of posthumous punishment.

You mean Saint Jeanne d’Arc? The same Jeanne who was exonerated by a friggin’ Inquisitorial Pope (Callixtus III)? Whose execution was political, not religious?

PS

As the Clarence Darrow character says at the Scopes Trial in “Inherit the Wind” :

“Fanaticism is forever hungry, and needs feeding..”

PK

• RebelYale00

I have been to several Muslim controled contries (Sudan, Egypt, Afaganistan, Somalia), so when I say that all muslims are not fanatics, I want people to believe me. Just like all malignant cancer cells will not kill a person, that doesn’t mean that they don’t try. I we leave radical islam to spread unchecked, we will be living by sharia law here before long. So do not try to sell this peace and loving religion of islam to me. Read the koran. It is a religion of conquest.