SOARES: Naming Yale

I don’t really go to Yale. I go to a school up north. On the East Coast. Like an hour forty from New York. I’ll concede Connecticut if you ask me three or four times and narrow it down to New Haven if you are persistent. But its name, Yale, won’t come out unless you ask, “You’re that guy who goes to Harvard, right?”

I’ve turned circumlocution into an art form, and I deliver diffuseness with the facility of everyday parlance. I bury Yale’s name in reticence, and something tells me that I’m not alone: 463 people liked the Yale meme that featured the words, “Where do you go to college? Connecticut,” superimposed on that DiCaprio-with-a-squint scene from Inception. Another 259 people liked, “It is with a mere façade of humility that I respondeth to thy query by revealing vaguely the geographic locus of mine alma mater.” “One does not simply go to school ‘in Connecticut’” scored 142 upvotes.

It began the summer before freshman year. I was at Target, shopping for school supplies (composition notebooks and condoms, both of which went unused for a whole semester), when the girl at the register asked me where I was going to school in the fall. Yale, I made to say, but reconsidered. It felt like over-sharing. She was just making conversation, I thought. Why should I burden our pleasantries with the truth? It would just make things awkward.

“Connecticut,” I said casually, but she pressed: “What’s in Connecticut?” In those days I hadn’t quite mastered the ways of circumlocution, so I responded with “New Haven,” which was awkward. “Well, what’s in New Haven?” she insisted and, backed into a corner, I had no choice but to mumble the school’s name, which she misheard as “Yeah,” forcing me to blurt out, too loudly, “Yale.”

So you’re that guy, I could hear her thinking. You’re the guy who goes to Yale and thinks he’s special. You’re the guy who thinks he’s above everyone else just because his diploma will bear a glorified four-letter word. She didn’t say that, of course — she said, “Oh, cool!” and handed me my bags — but I know she was thinking it.

Over the years, my coyness has evolved into a well-rehearsed performance, put on for the benefit of waiters, store attendants and strangers on airplanes. The initial moments of a conversation are like a minefield, and any misstep might detonate the Yale bomb. But if I manage to navigate my way through the first five minutes, I can talk for hours without being asked whether I go to UConn, Trinity or Southern Connecticut.

I’ve been told that my tendency towards circumlocution is silly, but I always defend my right to convolute. As a word, Yale isn’t great. Its monosyllable is awkward in conversation, too full of itself. It rolls off the tongue with the weight of a boulder and leaves in its wake an awkward, silent vacuum. On the few occasions where I’m forced to divulge my true provenance, I couch its name in other words. “I go to Yale” sounds much better than simply, straightforwardly, “Yale.”

But I also don’t want to be that guy. I don’t want to be the smug Yale student, whose sense of self-importance is only match to that of other Yale students. It’s no accident that the Condescending Wonka is one of four memes that Yalies use correctly: “Oh, you didn’t get any sleep last night? That’s so impressive.” “Oh, you take tea at the Lizzy? You must be so cultured.” “Oh, you taught English to underprivileged children overseas? You must be such a good person.”

The irony, of course, is that I am that guy. I don’t take tea at the Lizzie, and I haven’t taught English to underprivileged children overseas, but my aversion to Yale’s name betrays an infatuation with its connotation. The fact that I’ve upvoted the memes above says as much about their subjects as it does about myself: Out of my own self-importance, I look down upon the self-importance of others.

Maybe it’s time to stop. Next time someone asks, I’ll just say that I go to Yale.

Teo Soares is a junior in Silliman College. Contact him at teo.soares@yale.edu.

• River_Tam

It was humbling the first time I told my hairdresser back home that I went to Yale and she said “what’s that?” followed by “is it better than UCLA?”

People can handle it.

• grumpyalum

It totally depends on geography and before-hand knowledge. I know I’ve had really funny conversations about this where the person does’nt know. On the other hand, many a time, I’m expected to defend/engage/react to a lot of things simply because I went to Yale.

It’s a mix-bag. Though this one time in London, I was doing the Yale circumvention with this kid, who also seemed to be doing something similar. Stanford.

Oh well.

• ldffly

“People can handle it.”

No they can’t. Not around here. What’s more interesting, many university faculty resent it. Therefore, I circumlocute.

In Vermont, “Yale” is a lock company.
    Status schmattus.

PK

• joematcha

I’m pretty sure Yale the lock company is pretty well known outside Vermont too

• CX

Yes, Vermont is obviously the standard to which all states should aspire. You know down in Mississippi they haven’t heard of shoes.

My humor escapes you?
    Yale (the popmpous Ivy League self-congratulatory entity) has ZERO status in Vermont. Yale Lock Company has earned much more respect up here.

PK

• sonofmory

you have worked hard to get here – be proud of it. simply stating where you go to school does not make you that guy! pretending that Yale lock company is better known than Yale University makes you that guy!

• jamesdakrn

Just say you go to Yale. Who the hell cares? You only seem like a douchebag if you act like going to Yale means you are entitled to a different treatment.

“pretending that Yale lock company is better known than Yale”

The preceding comment is naive and ivy-centric. The lock company IS better known in Vermont than the University. You must be a flatlander.

PK

• xfxjuice

This just in: The world revolves around Vermont.

No—–

Vermont is a blessed retreat from the world—-and all its phoniness.

PK

• River_Tam

I just IMed my friend in Burlington – he said the university is more well-known than the lock company.

The lock company is headquartered in Tennessee and was founded by a New Yorker. Why do you pretend Vermontians are all a bunch of backwards rubes?

• YaleMom

Yale should be dedicated to openess! I don’t think selling those locks sends the right message!

Hey YaleMom:

You get the Gracie Allen Award (you’re probably too young to know what I’m talking about ).
    Nice to hear your voice !

PK

• HereTooLong

I always shake my head upon seeing students walking with YALE emblazoned shirts. This ain’t Boston with a dozen colleges! You only need to wear your Yale attire when you are out of the city or going to a sporting event

• sonofmory

why? what’s wrong with a little school spirit?

• Pingback: Browsergames online

• Pingback: http://www.credit--report-free.com

• Pingback: κατασκευη e-shop

• Pingback: cheapest auto insurance quotes

• Pingback: South Park Township

• Pingback: Lockhart