Dining changes. Stiles and Morse dining halls will be closed tonight to host the sophomore dinner. To compensate, Branford, Saybrook and Calhoun will all be open until 8 p.m.

False alarms? Davenport students were roused from their beds (or futons, or desks) at 3 a.m. on Tuesday by a fire alarm. The alarm subsided after about 10 minutes. Later, at 1:30 p.m., an alarm forced students out of Sterling Memorial Library and brought two firetrucks to Cross Campus. Both Davenport and SML are still standing.

Strategy pays off. History Professor John Lewis Gaddis was nominated for a National Book Critics Circle Award on Saturday for his biography of American statesman George F. Kennan.

Who’s Eidelson backing? A number of high-ranking New Haven Democrats attended a gathering of around 80 people at the East Rock home of U.S. Rep. Rosa DeLauro to support U.S. Rep. Chris Murphy in his run for the U.S. Senate on Sunday afternoon. Sixteen aldermen, including Ward 1 Alderwoman Sarah Eidelson ’12, were present.

New face. Jeanie O’Hare, the in-house dramaturg of the Royal Shakespeare Company in London, will be the new chair of the School of Drama’s playwriting department, the school announced in a press release Monday. O’Hare has been with the Royal Shakespeare Company for the last six years. During O’Hare’s tenure, the Company commissioned 75 new writers and launched 40 world premieres, including the launch of “Matilda: the Musical.”

The Way We Live Now. Marc Cendella ’88, the founder of a popular job search website and a candidate for U.S. Senate in New York, has come under fire for racy posts to a blog under his name. The webpage featured “random observations about sex, women and drugs,” with references to jockstraps, marijuana, various sex acts and Donald Trump’s “Apprentice,” according to the New York Times.

A house divided. In two weeks, the New York Giants will face off against the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI. On Game Day, Gov. Dannel Malloy, a native of Stamford who went to Boston College, will be rooting for the Giants, but his wife, a native of Massachusetts, will be pulling for the Patriots, according to CBS New York.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1918 Calling the coal situation “very serious,” Dean Frederick Jones encourages students to move out of Berkeley College and onto Old Campus to preserve heat. Berkeley is to be closed in just over a week.