McChrystal connects military, business leadership

cheung_mcchrystal-10
Photo by Jennifer Cheung.

Retired four-star Gen. Stanley McChrystal advised aspiring business leaders at the School of Management to lead by example and build unified teams with clear objectives.

McChrystal, who currently teaches the seminar “Leadership,” spoke to a crowd of over 100 people Tuesday morning about the power and qualities of strong leadership. The former commander of American forces in Afghanistan said management that fosters “shared consciousness and purpose” can revolutionize any organization, from an army to a business.

McChrystal said his strategy as a general was to get “everyone to have common ownership and responsibility for a clearly understood mission,” emphasizing the importance of “leading by influence” instead of leading by command.

“If someone says ‘dig a hole,’ you’ll do it, but you won’t do a good job if you don’t know what it’s for, and you pretty much don’t care,” he said. “You’ve got to get people to want to do things because they think it’s right and in their best interest.”

McChrystal said that improving efficiency within an organization often requires changing its culture — an idea that established team members often find threatening. Change can only occur when leaders set a personal example, he added. In order to demonstrate his commitment to the war in Afghanistan, McChrystal said he stayed deployed for five years ­— against the wishes of his family.

“When you lead transparently, it’s exhausting,” McChrystal said. But he added that personal investment is crucial for inspirational leadership and building the necessary trust between a team and its leader. “They either believe in you or they don’t,” he said.

One of the more difficult “culture changes” McChrystal had to implement while in power was convincing American troops that “real security comes from a credible relationship with the Afghan people.” This meant that, beginning in the summer of 2009, troops had to fight in a way that put themselves at much greater risk in order to reduce civilian casualties. McChrystal said soldiers’ families protested that he was not letting their sons protect themselves, but he said that retaining the support of the Afghan people had to take priority. Enacting this reform took months of daily reinforcement, he said, but it proved necessary.

“At the end of the day, it’s about winning — the war, the business competition, whatever it is,” he said. “Winning does not necessarily mean destroying your enemy. Winning could be educating kids.”

McChrystal said leaders often must adapt their strategies to fit evolving competition and circumstances. In the case of the military, the rise of al-Qaeda in the 1990s put unprecedented demands on the Joint Special Operations Command, he said.

“Suddenly, we had a much bigger problem than we had been designed to deal with,” he said. “We had to expand our counterterrorism capability. We had to build an organization and use it at the same time.”

Joshua Ray ’13, who will be taking McChrystal’s seminar this semester, said he especially appreciated McChrystal’s comments on the importance of finding employment for veterans. He also said even campus organizations could benefit from McChrystal’s leadership advice.

“I think we’re lucky to have him at Yale,” Jonathan Yang ’13 said of McChrystal. “Obviously, he has a wealth of experience to draw from.”

McChrystal began teaching at Yale during the fall of 2010, just months after he retired from the army.

I love military strategists.

Hannibal got elephants across the Alps. MacArthur would have seeded nuclear weapons around China’s borders. And Eisenhower (in addition to saving the world with Churchill) built the interstate highway system which made economic prosperity occur in the USA for a few decades.

“Winning could be educating kids,” General McChrystal says.

Learning is a human being’s primary mode of operation in the world, from infancy to death.

A human being is BORN to learn. I couldn’t stop children from learning if I tried. Huck Finn and his creator knew–and taught — that lesson well.

However, I can make learning distasteful by adding “win” and “lose” rewards to it, sticking it in a brick building, and compelling children to compete for those rewards which are advertised to the world quarterly: LOSER. WINNER.

Sounds like a Dantean horror chamber to me.

What the good General and other educational specialists are saying is, “Let’s REGIMENT learning” so we can win .

Win what?

Paul Keane
    M. Div. ’80

• lakia

“Win” at being successful (whatever that means to the individual or society) rather than just going through the motions. Duh.

Vague.

• JeanetteHay

It’s moving to see such dedication until the extent of completing a task for years even in the disagreement of your family members, for the sake of upholding your commitment and responsibility. I agree that it is much easier and efficient to carry out a leadership role by influence rather than by command. It’s better to be respected than to be scared of. Team members are more willing to execute the given tasks with sincerity and relationships between them and the leader is strong and miscommunication or conflicts can be avoided.