If India can meet certain conditions, Yale might consider building a second campus in Asia, University President Richard Levin said in an interview with Forbes India published today.

Levin said Yale would be encouraged by the success of Yale-NUS College and the passage of the Foreign Universities Bill in India’s parliament, an act which would reduce government regulation of the country’s schools. Yale is currently working to open a college in Singapore in conjunction with the National University of Singapore.

“We are trying for a 1,000-student capacity campus in Singapore and we will see how that goes,” Levin said in the interview. “Based on the success of this project, and the passage of the Foreign Universities Bill in the Indian Parliament, we can look at setting up a campus here in the next five years, but it has to be on a bigger scale.”

Levin said that the biggest challenge for creating a campus in India would be attracting talented professors. He praised China’s ability to retain its “star faculty” by paying them four to five times the average wage of a professor.

Any university established in Indian would also face an obstacle in the Indian government, which makes it hard for faculty to create relevant classes and syllabi, Levin said.

“When we do come, we surely do not want to have a government nominee running the show,” he said. “We would want to appoint who we think is best to run the university.”

Yale-NUS College will open in fall 2013.

UPDATE: 8:53 p.m. Levin has refuted the quotes published in the article linked to above. Click here for his response.