THE NEWS

• Though Yale’s investment decision, which was announced Nov. 18 on the Advisory Committee on Investor Responsibility’s website, makes the University the third in a series of Ivy League schools that have decided to halt future investments in HEI. But while Brown and the University of Pennsylvania made their decisions based on accusations of unethical labor practices that have been lobbied against HEI, Nigel Hurst, senior vice president of human resources for HEI, said he was told by a Yale representative that the University was motivated by “purely portfolio reasons.”
  • The Yale-New Haven hospital received the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification for the Smilow Cancer Hospital on November 21. Though the hospital received the lowest level of LEED’s four certification levels, the “certified level,” YNHH President and CEO Marna Borgstrom said it is unusual for heathcare facilities to receive any LEED certification because of the high energy consumption they require. The Smilow Cancer Hospital is the first healthcare building at Yale to receive the certification and the largest healthcare facility in Connecticut to receive LEED certification.
  • When nine-year-old Jasmine Leis grows up, she wants to be a veterinarian. She says she loves animals, and also loves counting them out loud because Math is her favorite subject. Jasmine is one of about a dozen schoolchildren who eats at the Downtown Evening Soup Kitchen (DESK) in New Haven on a given night, and is the second of six New Haven youth featured in the News’ “Wish List” series.

THE WEATHER

High of 64 degrees, low of 50 degrees, showers.

THE FOOD

In the colleges

Breakfast: Steelcut Oats, Waffle Bar, Rosemary Parmesan Scone

Lunch: Minestrone with Pancetta, Four Onion Soup, Israeli Couscous With Fall Vegetables, Savory Goat Cheese Tart With Leeks, Chablis Chicken, Hand Shaped Angus Hamburger, Hand Shaped Angus Cheeseburger, Italian Deli Zep, Steakhouse French Fries, Fresh Whole Green Beans, Insalata Di Grano, Egyptian Bean Salad, Grasshopper Cookie

Dinner: Huli-Huli Chicken Pieces, Caribbean Bean Bouillabaisse, Mussels Mariniere, Butternut Squash Patties, Basmati Rice, Herbed Fresh Broccoli, Insalata Di Grano, Egyptian Bean Salad, Apple Pie

In Commons

Breakfast: Steelcut Oats, Mushroom Frittata, Waffle Bar, Extra Thick French Toast, Omelets To Order, Cage-Free Scrambled Egg Whites, Cage-Free Scrambled Eggs, Breakfast Ham Slice, Shredded Potatoes, Rosemary Parmesan Scone

Lunch: Four Onion Soup, Tuscan White Bean Soup, Chicken Tikka Masala, Chana Masala, Bolognese Sauce, Spaghetti, Organic Tomato Sauce, Chefs Choice All-Natural Burger, Herb Marinated Chicken Breast, Garden Burger, Chinese Marinated Tofu, Pepperoni Pizza, Chef’s Choice Pizza, Cheese Pizza, Cheese Calzone, Chicken Curry, Greens & Tofu, Vegetable Fried Rice, Jasmine Rice, Italian Deli Zep, Chef’s Choice Fries, Basmati Rice, Roasted Cauliflower, Corn, Tomato & Basil Salad, Egyptian Bean Salad, Grasshopper Cookie