A win over Seton Hall from the powerhouse Big East conference would have put the Yale men’s basketball team on the proverbial map, but the Bulldogs were unable to come away with a victory over the Pirates in Newark, N.J. Tuesday night.

Despite leading by as many as eight points midway through the first half, the Elis (0–0 Ivy, 2–2 overall) fell to Seton Hall (4–1), 73–62. The Pirates wrestled control from the Bulldogs by going on a 15-3 run heading into the break, and with a high number of turnovers, Yale never fully recovered.

Greg Mangano ’12 got the Elis back into the game early in the second half, scoring six straight points for the Bulldogs during a 9–1 stretch that cut the deficit to 42–40. Mangano showed off his offensive arsenal in the stretch, making a difficult shot over Big East Player of the Week Herb Pope, sinking a pull-up jumper off a drive and then converting a layup off a pass from Jeremiah Kreisberg ’14.

But the rally died there, and the Bulldogs were never able to get closer than two points to the Pirates the remainder of the game.

The Bulldogs showed good ball movement early in the first half, but when Seton Hall switched from man-to-man to zone defense, the new strategy threw the Elis off, head coach James Jones said.

Twenty-two turnovers by the Elis allowed the Pirates to take control of the game, as did the Pirates’ defensive pressure — highlighted by their season-high 13 steals. Jordan Theodore and Fuguan Edwin led the way with five steals apiece.

Kreisberg and Mangano led the Bulldogs with 14 points each, and Kreisberg added 13 rebounds to register his first double-double of the season.

Yale next goes on the road Nov. 26 to face Army at West Point.