The University will once again partner with the United Way of Greater New Haven to work towards decreasing the effects of poverty this month, but this year’s campaign will carry an extra significance.

The campaign will also allow faculty, staff and students to honor the memory of former Provost and University Librarian Frank Turner GRD ’71, who died last November of a pulmonary embolism at the age of 66, by giving money to the campaign in his name.

“[I]t is hard not to think about his passion for the University, the library and the New Haven community. … Giving to the United Way was a personal commitment Frank and his wife, the Reverend Ellen Tillotson, planned annually. Without hesitation, they believed that contributing to the campaign makes a measurable difference,” Provost Peter Salovey wrote in a letter to the campus community on Nov. 11, the anniversary of Turner’s death.

Tillotson added that Turner supported the United Way for decades and believed it was a concrete way for the Yale community “to participate meaningfully in the vitality of the New Haven community.”

Last year’s campaign raised over $1 million, helping over 100 children from low-income families receive full-time care and education. Donations can be made online.