Gov. Dannel Malloy signed Executive Order No. 12 Tuesday, extending the voter registration deadline for the state’s upcoming municipal elections to Monday Nov. 7, one day before polls open. The order comes after a weekend in which a freak snowstorm pounded the Northeast, dropping more than two feet of snow in some areas and leaving more than three million people without power.

Secretary of the State Denise Merrill said the deadline, which was set for Tuesday Nov. 1, was pushed back to accommodate those who were having difficulty reaching registration offices.

“The severity of the power outages and other damage from this past weekend’s snow has the potential to disenfranchise thousands of Connecticut voters who are without electricity and even unable to leave their homes,” Merrill said in a Tuesday press release. “Some town halls and municipal buildings also lack electricity, which makes it hard for voters who want to register by the deadline tonight.”

This could be a relief for the campaigns of Sarah Eidelson ’12 and Vinay Nayak ’14, who are running for Ward 1 Alderperson and have devoted substantial time to registering students to vote in New Haven’s elections. Some students have reported issues with their registration, and the extended deadline will allow them more time to sort out any mistakes.

In New Haven, the Nov. 8 elections will determine if current Mayor John DeStefano Jr. will be reelected for a record 10th term or be defeated by challenger Jeffrey Kerekes. Voters will also select aldermen in wards 11, 22, 26, 30 and the aforementioned Ward 1.