CRAWFORD: Looking beyond Gadhafi

Moral qualms aside, the death of Moammar Gadhafi is a net good — for the people of Libya, for the Middle East, for all those who care about the basic human rights and dignity of a people. Conservative critics vehemently objected to American participation in NATO operations in Libya. They have been proven wrong. “Leading from behind” may make for an uninspiring turn of phrase, but excepting Bosnia, the successful ousting of Gadhafi marks NATO’s greatest post-Soviet success and a demonstration that the cause of freedom can be advanced without an exorbitant cost in American blood and treasure.

And yet, I can’t help but find myself a cynic as I watch this administration celebrate Gadhafi’s death as a triumph for American foreign policy. The administration’s tactical successes speak for themselves — President Obama would be remiss if his campaign strategists weren’t currently splicing an “America’s most wanted” reel of all the terrorists who have been taken out during his tour as Commander in Chief. Indeed, the United States seems to have turned a corner in the “war on terror” with successful drone strikes against al-Qaida operatives in Yemen and the Pakistani tribal lands. But successes aside, this president seems to be missing the bigger strategic picture in all of its many dimensions.

Democracy will only work in the Middle East if it is directed toward humanitarian ends. The people of Egypt and Libya watched for decades as their autocratic leaders not only violated basic human rights, but also deferred to Israel. They want retribution. The storming of the Israeli Embassy in Cairo last month is a testament to how democracy can quickly become a conduit to violence.

President Obama should use the democratic stature of the United States to bring democratic nations together. As new regimes take form in Egypt and Libya, the U.S. should act as an informal arbiter to resuscitate a dialogue with Israel — which ideally will no longer be the only democracy in the Middle East after Egypt’s elections in 2013. At the same time, there would be no greater setback than watching passively on the sidelines as the Arab Spring gives way to military dictatorship. U.S. aid may not always take the form of military intervention, but we nevertheless maintain a responsibility to the nations we aid.

As Europe has teetered on the brink of a devastating currency crisis, national animosities have rekindled. Should the E.U. collapse, Europe will undergo a political crisis of conscience on par with the Arab Spring. The United States cannot sit idly in the event that, even a decade or two from now, Europe finds itself becoming Yugoslavia writ large. The United States must carry in tow a reserve of economic aid and prepare to assist European nations in shaping a better and more sustainable federation of nations.

Finally, and perhaps most stunningly, it appears as if President Obama has continued the heralded tradition of his Democratic predecessors in directing no real foreign policy in Asia. In “On China,” Henry Kissinger proposed the idea of a new “Pacific League” to engage the nations of Southeast Asia and China in a common dialogue with the United States. Such an alliance, Kissinger argues, would provide an opportunity for economic progress and be vital were conflict to erupt in the region. Why has such a program gained zero traction in the Obama Administration? Why does the United States remain passive as new balance of power conundrums erupt in Southeast and Central Asia?

An American-led world order might inspire animosity from those who don’t believe in the exceptionalist mandate of the United States. But would we really prefer any alternative international order? While the death of Moammar Gadhafi represents a tactical victory, President Obama’s continued refusal to confront the revolutionary developments in the 21st century international system represents a grand strategic failure that, left unchecked, will sour our diplomatic relations throughout the world.

Conor crawford is a senior in Calhoun College. Contact him at conor.crawford@yale.edu .

• Arafat

Conor writes, “Democracy will only work in the Middle East if it is directed toward humanitarian ends.”

Conor here are just some reasons Islam and democracy are incompatible.

• Inimical to ‘social freedoms’, demanding that all people obey their 7th century moral codes without question or criticism, under penalty of death.
    • Inimical to ‘man made’ laws, claiming that their laws are given to them by God/Allah and all must obey them, in submission, under penalty of death.
    • Inimical to the ‘social contract’ that is democratic constitutional government, for the people and by the people, in pursuit of ‘life, liberty, and happiness’, as these are ‘man made’ ideas, and to submit to them over Allah’s laws is apostasy, punishable by death.
    • Inimical to the ‘rights of individuals’ to pursue their own ideals and beliefs, freedom of worship, freedom of inquiry of truth, freedom of thought, freedom of speech, freedom of artistic expression, freedom of loving other human beings, freedom of choice, freedom of pursuing one’s life with reciprocal respect for others regardless of race, religion, or ethnicity, or sex, as these are our ‘inalienable’ rights; to pursue these may be punishable by death.
    • Inimical to ‘democratic freedoms’ as protected by (man made) constitutional laws agreed upon by social contract to protect the rights of individuals, but in favor of ‘dictatorship’ politics supported by the Ulama with the ultimate goal of imposing a universal Caliphate dictating all society according to (Allah/Mohammad’s) Sharia, where submissive obedience is rigorously mandatory, under penalty of death.
    • Inimical to intellectual ‘secularism’ in all its forms, in education, in philosophical inquiry and discourse, in the sciences, in religious studies, in history studies, in sociological studies, in anthropological studies, in archeology studies, if these are not in concordance with the ‘religious’ teachings of the Koran, except as studies of ‘infidel’ societies to be subdued, conquered for conversion, to pay the jizyah, or be put to death.
    • Inimical to social ‘equality’ of all human beings, especially of the female sex, women kept in oppression as chattel for procreation and sexual gratification of males; as submissively obedient house slaves in violation of the sanctity of their personal humanity, unfree to seek life as they desire but must live in fear of their male masters who will punish them if they disobey, for violating their ‘honor’, with death.

• Arafat

The only way for the people of the Middle East (all of Islam for that matter) to experience true democracy is to free themselves from the shackles of Islam.
    Islam and democracy are incompatible and anyone who says Indonesia is an example they are simply showing just how dire Islamic democracies are.
    Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Jordan, Oman, Syria, Lebanon, Sudan, Mauritania, Niger, Algeria, Somalia, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Kirgizstan, etc…
    Name one country from this or any list of Islamic dominated countries where one can freely criticize Islam, convert from Islam, proselytize for any other religion, draw pictures of Mohammed, criticize Saudi Arabia, openly practice homosexuality or Judaism, be a free woman with all this implies.
    So please don’t blame Egypt’s problems on America. I would bet money that if America could foster true democracy in any Muslim country it would, just as it fostered freedoms and democracy in Germany and Japan after WWII.
    Quit blaming their problems on anyone but them and their backwards-looking religion.
    Finally, let me say, Mohammed was Islam’s first political leader. He refused to acknowledge a separation of mosque and state as Jesus did (Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s…). Mohammed was a theocratic despot who killed, raped, enslaved and pillaged his way to power and wealth.
    This is who Muslims look to for direction, no? Not to America, but to Mohammed and therein lies the tale of the tape.

• ignatz

Arafat tells it like it is. What Conor neglects to mention is that the ousting of Gadhafi — “NATO’s greatest post-Soviet success” — is an ephemeral victory that will soon fade as the darkness of Sharia law descends upon the citizens of Libya.