The sweet stink of Saybrook. After numerous members of Physical Plant crews failed to located the source of an odor that has been plaguing rooms in Saybrook for weeks, the college’s Operations Manager Ann Marie Apicella emailed students Monday to inform them an outside contractor had been hired to conduct a “smoke test” to catch the smelly culprit.

Last cupcake standing. The Yale Event Management Assocation, in conjunction with Katalina’s Bakery, is running a competition this week to find the cupcake that best embodies Yale. The cupcake needs “spunk and style,” and, “like Yalies, the cupcake should be creative, original and exciting,” YEMA vice president Lucy Chen ’14 said. Those interested in entering their baked brilliance in the contest must submit their recipes and a description to YEMA by Oct. 14.

Another year, another letdown? The Spring Fling Committee sent out its annual survey Monday afternoon to gauge student opinion on various artists. Possible Spring Fling performers, according to the survey, include Nicki Minaj, Ke$ha, Robyn, Gucci Mane, Adele and T-Pain.

Changes. The fraternity Delta Kappa Epsilon held an initiation event for its pledges Sunday night, an event that attracted no attention from local or national news media.

Gobble gobble, eh? Pierson’s dining hall was closed to most students last night as the college continued its tradition of celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving. The menu included Thanksgiving staples, like cranberry sauce, alongside Yale Dining staples, such as tofu fried rice.

Life after Yale. Rebecca Taber ’08, a former Yale College Council president, was profiled by the Washington Post on Sunday. The article focused on Taber’s relationship with Lt. Dan Berschinski, a man she met (and rejected) just before he headed to a tour of duty in Afghanistan in June 2009. In August 2009, Berschinski stepped on a buried bomb and lost his legs, and when he returned home later that month, his relationship with Taber blossomed. The two are still together today, and their story has received nearly 200 comments on the Post’s website.

Get ready for fireworks. Ann Coulter, the notorious conservative pundit, will visit the Yale Political Union debate tonight at 6:30 p.m. to debate the topic “Resolved: The Left is Destroying America.”

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1961 Peace activist David McReynolds visits campus to discuss, “Thunder of the RIght: The Neo-Conservative Movement.”

THE YALE DAILY NEWS