Moving on up. Melanie Boyd ’90, formerly the special assistant to the dean for gender issues, will assume a new position as assistant dean for academic affairs, Yale College Dean Mary Miller announced in an email Thursday night. Boyd played a central role in the discussions that followed the DKE hazing incident in October and Title IX complaint in March.

Devastating. Though Thursday was supposed to be chicken tenders day in Commons, a number of observers reported that, as early as 12:30 p.m., Yale Dining staff had replaced the chicken tenders with fried chicken.

Seeking a few good preps. Mory’s is looking for five to seven undergraduates to add to its student board, the storied club announced in an email on Thursday. “We’re looking for people with really good ideas — that’s what is going to keep Mory’s relevant, interesting and dynamic,” said Murphy Temple ’12, president of the student board.

Close call on East Rock. New Haven firefighters rescued a female Yale student who became stuck while free climbing East Rock Thursday afternoon, the New Haven Independent reported. Though the woman was unharmed, three firefighters were sent to the hospital after the hour-long rescue attempt. One firefighter suffered a “severe compound fracture” to his leg, while another was hit by a falling rock. The climber and her male climbing partner, both Yale students, were charged with reckless endangerment and will appear in court Oct. 19.

Break time. Bomb-sniffing dogs were spotted frolicking outside the Law School on Thursday morning. The dogs were on site as campus prepared for a town hall meeting with Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano later that afternoon.

The money and the power. James Chanos ’80, a hedge fund manager and pioneer of “short selling” tactics, was spotted having lunch at Sally’s Apizza with former Wall Street Journal columnist Thomas Herman ’68.

Foam. Toad’s Place’s signature foam party brought drunken revelers to soak in the suds at the York Street club Thursday night.

Posters reading “The Victims of Guevara” appeared across campus Thursday, featuring an image of Argentine revolutionary Che Guevara that is comprised of his victims’ faces.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1964 Dining hall food gives at least 50 Saybrugians food poisoning.

THE YALE DAILY NEWS