Cat and Morse

A tabby cat has made himself a regular visitor at Morse College. Named Wally after Morse’s mascot, the cat has made a habit of socializing with students and accepting their food from the dining hall. But now administrators have indicated that they will have to bring in animal control if he is not claimed shortly, and students fear that Wally would be taken to a shelter and possibly euthanized. So Morsels are getting the word out to find him a new home.

Two robberies occurred Tuesday on or close to campus, according to emails from Yale Police Department Chief Ronnell Higgins. First, around 3:15 a.m., a man showed a graduate student in front of the School of Art a knife, taking the student’s cellphone and “a small amount of cash.” Then, another graduate student was punched by a man who stole his bicycle around Temple and Elm streets at about 12:55 p.m.

Discount. Students get a discount usually ranging between 5 percent and 10 percent at the Apple Store with their student ID, according to an email from the Yale College Council.

Home run. In his first start as catcher in the major leagues, Ryan Lavarnway ’09 hit two home runs to lead the Boston Red Sox past the Baltimore Orioles by one run and keep them tied for the American League wild card.

More thievery. Timothy Dwight is experiencing a series of thefts. Items including a “nice watch,” an iPad and “a big TV” have been stolen from the college, Master Jeffrey Brenzel wrote in an email to students.

The Yale Concert Band will premiere a new piece commissioned in memory of Michele Dufault ’11 at its first concert of the season Oct. 14. Dufault died in a lab accident last school year. The piece is called “Elegy, Prayer and Hymn: In Memoriam Michele Dufault.”

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1964 The University’s newly organized Army ROTC Battalion opens its fall season on the Armory drill field. Seventeen seniors are commissioned as cadets.

YALE DAILY NEWS