LETTER: 2,700 people, ignored by the News

This past Friday, a most unusual event occurred. The Yale Philharmonia, Camerata and Glee Club came together to give a performance of Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony that filled Woolsey Hall, to the point that a fire marshal literally had to come and shoo out people standing in the wings. I have never seen Woolsey Hall so filled, not even at the mass assemblies held there during Convocation. The performance that followed was, for the most part, magnificent, and I looked forward to reading coverage of it in Monday’s edition of the News. Surely the fact that people were being turned away from a concert of classical music would at least merit a blurb in the Cross Campus column.

Evidently not. For whatever reason, there was not a single word of coverage of this grand event in Monday’s paper.

I understand that the News cannot review every single musical event that occurs on Yale’s campus, but surely a concert of this magnitude deserves at least a token flicker of attention. To ignore it in the way that this paper has sends the message that what these people are doing isn’t valuable; it tacitly implies that all the work that went into producing this event was ultimately worthless. I expect better from the News, and think that the performers at this event — and future events like it — deserve better, too.

Nick Baskin

Sept. 27

The writer is a sophomore in Ezra Stiles College.

A performance of Beethoven’s Ninth is not DATA. It can’t be quantified (although *YDN* tried valiantly with its “2,700” headline number). It has no benchmarks or rubrics.

In other words, it is not worthy of of the attention (or money) of The Bill and Melinda Gradgrind Foundation, so why should it be worthy of the attention of its hypnotozed “outcomes”, sleepwalking from their standardized childhoods, the staff of the *Yale Daily News*?

Aesthetics? ‘T’won’t help us beat the Chinese. (Remember this is serious BUSINESS: We’re in a world-wide race! )

PK for [Bill and Melinda Gradgrind Foundation][1]

[1]: http://gradgrindfoundation.blogspot.com

• River_Tam

really?

• yalengineer

I’m ashamed to admit that I actually checked out that link.

• Jaymin

I really was a spectacular concert. I had the fortune of sitting right next to the glee club on the first balcony, and when they came on during the fourth movement, it was awesome.

• Contributor

For the record, though I don’t know that it’s criminal that the News didn’t report on this performance, about 300 people were turned away at the door because the hall was full. So we’re talking 2700 audience members, 300 audience hopefuls, an 86-voice choir, a ~100-voice choir, four soloists, and the 100 or so folks in the orchestra. That’s a lot of people.

That’s a lot of DATA. Feel better?
    The [Bill and Melinda Gradgrind Foundation][1] is proud of you!

PK

• Inigo_Montoya

Excellent, excellent concert. Also, Shinik Hahm conducted the entire 9th Symphony *from memory*. That was pretty cool.