Sweet tooth. Sugary cereals Reese’s Puffs and Cinnamon Toast Crunch emerged victorious in the Yale College Council and Yale Dining’s Cereal Bowl Friday. The not-as-teeth-rotting option of Special K Red Berries was also chosen. The three cereals will be heading to dining halls shortly.

School spirit. After the Boston Red Sox played their game against the Tampa Bay Rays at Fenway Park Sunday, Sox catcher Ryan Lavarnway ’09 changed out of his uniform and into a Timothy Dwight College T-shirt. The Rays beat the Red Sox 8–5.

Gearing up for 2012. In a Quinnipiac University Poll released Friday looking at the 2012 Connecticut Senate race, former World Wrestling Entertainment CEO Linda McMahon won out over former U.S. Rep. Chris Shays in the Republican race. Meanwhile, in the Democratic contest, U.S. Representative Chris Murphy was picked before former Connecticut Secretary of the State Susan Bysiewicz ’83.

In the Republican presidential race, Connecticut voters supported Mitt Romney most of all, but if he were matched up against President Barack Obama, they would vote Obama, the poll showed.Rick Perry trailed Romney followed by Michele Bachmann.

Close call. The New Haven Register reported that a single-engine plane overshot a runway at Tweed New Haven Airport Sunday morning. Both pilot and passenger were not harmed.

Take a tray. Contrary to Yale Dining’s usually anti-tray message, a sign was spotted in the Davenport dining hall Friday encouraging students to take a tray. The sign, which disappeared by the end of lunch, said waste is not diner’s problem and trays are there “for a reason.”

Going up. The University of Pennsylvania reported gains of 19 percent in the fiscal year that ended June 30, Bloomberg reported Thursday. Yale has not yet publicized what its endowment gained in fiscal year 2011.

Alarm. Davenport students were briefly interrupted Saturday night around 8 p.m. as fire alarms went off throughout the college. It was a routine drill.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1963 At the request of University President Kingman Brewster, the Yale Political Union withdraws its invitation to segregation supporting Alabama Governor George Wallace. YPU officers wrote, “it has been made clear to us that your presence here would severely impair the relations between Yale and the New Haven Negro community.”

YALE DAILY NEWS