Friday night’s alright. It’s College Night on Broadway tonight from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Freebies include: Ashley’s Ice Cream, henna tattoos, caricatures and kettle corn.

They’re Grrreeat! Students can taste cereals to their hearts’ content by participating in “The Cereal Bowl” hosted by Yale Dining and the Yale College Council today. Three cereal companies — General Mills, Kellogg’s and Malt-O-Meal — will offer a variety of samples in Commons from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Students will then vote on their favorites, and the top three will be in the dining hall in coming weeks.

Game day. The first football game of the season is tomorrow against Georgetown. See story, page 12.

False alarm. Two New Haven Fire Department trucks showed up to Woolsey Hall around 2:25 p.m. after someone hit a “pull station” by mistake while piling furniture. The trucks left at 2:45 p.m.

According to a Quinnipiac University Poll released Thursday, only 41 percent of voters approve of the way Governor Dannel Malloy is doing his job; 48 percent disapprove. That said, 79 percent approve of the way he handled the response to Tropical Storm Irene.

Brown University President Ruth Simmons announced Thursday that she will step down at the end of the academic year, the Brown Daily Herald reported. Simmons is the first black president of an Ivy League school.

Feel like dancing? Davenport is hosting a dance party in the college courtyard tonight. But it will be chilly. Tonight’s low is 44 degrees.

Applications for the Shakespeare Challenge are due Monday at 5 p.m. Part of Shakespeare at Yale, which will feature a Shakespeare event every day in the spring term, the challenge is for students to propose their own events. The bard awaits.

Theft. Davenport Master Richard Schottenfeld wrote in an email Thursday evening that “several” students informed him that their laptops were stolen in the past two days from the college’s library when they left them to go eat dinner in the dining hall downstairs. “I anticipate that we will have an increased security presence in Davenport,” he wrote.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1968 “Controversial avante-garde” group, the Living Theatre, returns to the states after “voluntary exile” in Europe, with a series of four original plays at the School of Drama. The first premieres tonight.

YALE DAILY NEWS