THE NEWS

• This term, members of the Yale community can bid farewell to the outmoded Horde email system in favor of a new service provider — Google Apps for Education.

Information Technology Services will offer the chance to switch mail services to a group of 100 randomly selected undergraduates beginning in the first week of October. Students and staff can opt into Gmail throughout the term, though Horde will still be available until the University discontinues the platform in spring 2013. Freshmen who want the new service will have to migrate their accounts from Horde, despite the fact that ITS planned to use Gmail as the default provider for the entire class of 2015.

• “Great Big Ideas,” the Yale College seminar, is the inaugural course offering of the Floating University: a for-profit educational enterprise co-founded by Adam Glick ’82, a philanthropist and businessman, and online forum Big Think. The course launched at Yale, Harvard and Bard colleges and to subscribers across the Internet this fall, and is charting new territory in higher education with its multimedia-heavy class. The seminar — which had its first official Yale meeting Wednesday — explores key ideas in 12 different areas, and features video lectures given in each discipline by a prominent professor in the field.
  • New Haven’s highest murder rate since 1994 moved off the streets and into the political sphere Wednesday at a joint press conference for three mayoral candidates. Budget watchdog Jeffrey Kerekes, civil rights activist Clifton Graves and former aldermen Tony Dawson gathered press and supporters on the New Haven Green Wednesday afternoon, calling for Mayor John DeStefano Jr. to be voted out of office, and a replacement for New Haven Police Department Chief Frank Limon.

THE WEATHER

High of 73 degrees, low of 63 degrees, heavy rain.

THE FOOD

In the colleges

Breakfast: Waffle Bar

Lunch: Curried Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup, Bean & Bacon Soup, Tofu Provencal, Savory Goat Cheese Tart With Leeks, Hand-breaded Chicken Tenders, BBQ Sauce, Honey Mustard Dip, Duck Sauce, Rice, Spiced Roasted Local Carrots, Arugula Fennel Fontina Salad, Aragonian Lentils & Mushroom, Quinoa Salad with Summer Squash & Tomato

Dinner: Teriyaki Chicken Thigh, Pineapple Salsa, Grilled Portabella Mushroom Sandwich, Limed Rice, Fresh Corn On The Cob with Cilantro Lime Butter, Mesclun Greens with Cranberries & Macadamia Nuts, Arugula Fennel Fontina Salad, Quinoa Salad with Summer Squash & Tomato

In Commons

Breakfast: Grits, Waffle Bar, Fried Egg & Cheese Sandwich, Cage-Free Scrambled Egg Whites, Cage-Free Scrambled Eggs, Breakfast Sausage Pattie, Potato Pancakes

Lunch: Roasted Corn & Tomato Soup, English Beef Barley Soup, Home-Style All Beef Meatloaf, Penne Tuscan Style, Spaghetti, Organic Tomato Sauce, Chefs Choice All-Natural Burger, Marinated Oven Roasted Tofu, Herb Marinated Chicken Breast, Garden Burger, Pepperoni Pizza, Cheese Pizza, Roast Beef Sand with Caramelized Onions, Mashed Potatoes, Curried Cauliflower & Eggplant, Calabrian Roasted Cauliflower Salad, Heirloom Tomato Salad

YALE DAILY NEWS