LETTER: We played no role in the Le family lawsuit

Re: “Le suit alleges Yale at fault in death” (Sept. 7): We are writing in response to yesterday’s article on the recently announced civil suit filed against Yale by Annie Le’s estate (“Was Annie Le’s Murder Yale’s Fault?,” September 7). In response to our implied connection to the case in this and other news stories, we would like to make clear that none of the cosignatories of the Yale Title IX complaint have any role in this suit. Although the Title IX complaint was brought up in connection with the suit, we have never spoken with the Le family’s legal team, nor did we know of the civil suit before the story broke on Monday.

Certainly, Yale has long tolerated sexual harassment. The claim that the hostile environment at the University contributed to the circumstances of Ms. Le’s death is a troubling one; however, we were unaware of any possible connection when we filed. We wish the family all the best.

Presca Ahn

Alexandra Brodsky

Hannah Zeavin

Sept. 7

The writers and 14 other Yale students and alumni filed a Title IX complaint against Yale on March 15, 2011. Ahn is a 2010 graduate of Branford College. Brodsky is a senior in Davenport College. Zeavin is a senior in Berkeley College.

T*he claim that the hostile environment at the University contributed to the circumstances of Ms. Le’s death is a troubling one; however, we were unaware of any possible connection when we filed.*

And the burden of proof of a causal connection rests with the plaintiffs. Judges can dismiss a suit for insufficient evidence.

• zmanzippy

The irony of this is not lost on most of us, at least those that live in the ‘realistic world’ One frivolity begets another frivolity. The Le situation, although tragic, has nothing to do with Title IX, and is just another example of our litigious society going to extremes because we allow it, not because it is the right and/or correct thing to do. However, the same can be said about frivolous Title IX lawsuits as well. Tolerance is a two way street, however when these antagonistic ‘extreme’ measures are brought on by individuals or ‘fringe’ groups for attention or effect, actually fosters “GREATER INTOLERANCE” as the final outcome and result. Both of these ‘lawsuits’, perhaps initiated with good ‘INTENT’ will either do nothing, or actually hurt, the causes being represented in the long run.

• Branford73

The Title IX plaintiffs DO have a role in this suit by Ms. Le’s bio mom. They are central to it according to the lawyer who brought the suit on this morning’s Today Show on NBC t.v. He cited the Title IX suit as support for the “documented” culture of sexual harassment on campus and claimed this was a cause of Ms. Le’s death. I hope both cases are dismissed before they get into the hands of Yale-hating juries.

• kattrby

I am glad you wrote this and contributed, Ahn, Brodsky and Zeavin, and in such a calm way.

I am in no doubt that your case has been purloined – hijacked – to suit other much less scrupulous purposes. Which is outrageous.

Were I in your boots, I might have said much angrier things about that.

If you feel that you are being misrepresented again, say so again. As often as it takes.