THE NEWS

• The University has taken another step toward inviting the Reserve Officers’ Training Corp (ROTC) back to campus. The Faculty Committee on ROTC released a report Thursday recommending that Yale College amend the four resolutions approved by the faculty in 1969, which led to the discontinuation of ROTC at Yale. At the May 5 faculty meeting, the faculty will vote on the resolutions, which would give administrators greater flexibility in negotiating with military officials about the potential return of ROTC to campus.
  • In the past month,mayors and union leaders signed historic concession agreements saving millions of dollars in Boston and Providence, whose fiscal challenges are similar to New Haven’s. In an attempt to right the city’s fiscal ship, Mayor John DeStefano Jr. is caught between politically active and well-funded city unions and taxpayers who threaten to vote him out of office if he raises their property taxes—already the second-highest in the state—yet again. As he prepares for a record ninth reelection campaign, the city’s fiscal future—and DeStefano’s political survival—may depend on his success.
  • New Haven violence invaded Yale’s fraternity row early Saturday morning. A New Haven resident was shot on High Street near fraternities Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Sigma Phi Epsilon at approximately 12:48 a.m.. Yale Police Department Lt. Joseph Vitale said that the victim was not a Yale student and that his injuries were not life-threatening. Witnesses on the scene reported hearing three to four shots. Both YPD and New Haven police officers are investigating the area in front of the Cambridge Arms apartments on 32 High Street, Vitale said, adding that the victim had been shot in the arm and was removed from the scene via ambulance.

THE WEATHER

High of 64 degrees, low of 51 degrees, chance of thunderstorms

THE FOOD

No menu available.

YALE DAILY NEWS