Levin ’13 wins YCC presidency; Njie ’13 takes VP race

UPDATED: 12:03 a.m.Brandon Levin ’13, current Yale College Council treasurer, has won the YCC presidency, defeating Rustin Fakheri ’12 and Jimmy Murphy ‘13 with an overwhelming 67.84 percent of the vote. Omar Njie ’13 has been elected YCC vice president.

“I am ecstatic; I couldn’t be more excited,” Levin said. “My opponents both ran incredible campaigns, and I am extremely excited to win the council.”

Levin said he received the news of his victory after performing with his a cappella group, the Spizzwinks(?), in an evening concert. He was surrounded by approximately 30 Spizzwinks(?) and their parents as they waited for Annie Shi ’12, chair of the YCC election committee, to call and inform them of the election results.

Njie, who is currently the Sophomore Class Council President, said he was also very excited by the news of his election victory.

“I’m incredibly grateful for this opportunity,” he said. “I’m really excited to serve the Yale community with the rest of the new YCC Executive Board.”

Shi said she is confident that next year’s Executive Board will be a strong one. She added that the election committee strictly enforced campaign rules, which controlled the placement of campaign posters and the use of email panlists to garner votes.

Still, Shi said some candidates were overzealous in their campaigns, adding that Ivan Fan ’14 was disqualified from the vice-presidential race after breaching students’ privacy by entering their rooms without permission.

Shi also said that while candidates were allowed to send emails to individual students, Rustin Fakheri ’12 used a program to automatically send personalized emails to lists of recipients. Fakheri was not disqualified because the YCC did not have a clear policy on the use of such programs at the time, Shi said.

The Sophomore Class Council race remains undecided. John Gonzalez ’14 won 30.96% of the vote while Bryan Epps ’14 took 28.22%. Since there was no 5% margin of vote, as required by YCC election rules, there will be a run-off vote starting on Monday at 9:00 a.m. and ending on Tuesday at 11:59 p.m.

The full results of the elections appear below:

Events Director

Katherine Donley (ES 2013) – 1204 – 51.04%

James Campbell (PC 2013) – 1155 – 48.96%

Abstentions – 491

President

Brandon Levin (DC 2013) – 1776 – 67.84%

James Murphy (DC 2013) – 510 – 19.48%

Rustin Fakheri (BR 2012) – 332 – 12.68%

Abstentions – 232

Secretary

Matt Williams (BK 2013) – 960 – 46.65%

Caroline Smith (DC 2014) – 592 – 28.77%

Obaid Syed (JE 2014) – 506 – 24.59%

Abstentions – 792

Treasurer

Archit Sheth-Shah (MC 2013) – 893 – 40.55%

Cece Xie (TC 2013) – 587 – 26.66%

Eric Eliasson (BK 2014) – 461 – 20.94%

Kwabena Boateng (PC 2014) – 261 – 11.85%

Abstentions – 648

UOFC Chair

Allen Granzberg (DC 2013) – 1194 – 57.88%

Hassan Alkazemi (BR 2013) – 869 – 42.12%

Abstentions – 787

Vice President

Omar Njie (SM 2013) – 1228 – 51.62%

Kat Lau (DC 2013) – 1151 – 48.38%

Abstentions – 471

Junior Class Council President

Hyungmee Lim (MC 2013) – 363 – 51.13%

Shivani Vohra (DC 2013) – 347 – 48.87%

Abstentions – 89

Check back for more updates.

• ChrisPag

“Ivan Fan ’14 was disqualified from the vice-presidential race after breaching students’ privacy by entering their rooms without permission.”

Seriously? I mean, unless he was wandering into people’s bedrooms, that seems terribly unreasonable. People are totally free to drop into my common room to drop off flyers or talk any time.

Still, congrats to all–especially Matt and Archit, who are two great guys.

• JE14

he actually did wander into people’s bedrooms..

• phantomllama

JE14, you need to get your facts right on this one…don’t believe everything Annie Shi tells you, she wanted him out of the race from the start to help her preferred candidate (who lost anyway).

Disqualified at 2am on morning of election day? Check.
    Promised written reasons by 5am that never arrived? Check.
    No reply to appeal email, even now? Check.

Shi et al have definite futures running elections in Florida.

• hubris

Ivan Fan was in clear violation of election rules, however this article does not say the whole truth about how he did so. Posters/leaflets must be of a certain number and be signed by the election committee before they are distributed.

I found a leaflet under my bedroom door (and I live in a senior single!) when I came in from the library that night. I thought it was too much as a campaign strategy but it is also obviously illegal because candidates are only allowed to have 120 posters and iFan obviously printed much more than that.

Also, phantollama’s comment above should not have been anonymous. He/she obviously has a personal stake in this and should not disguise their bias.

Congrats to the candidates that won without the YDN endorsement!!!

• phantomllama

He had personal, written approval from the Election Committee to distribute flyers to student rooms, hubris, in particular by pushing them under doors, which was explicitly permitted.

Leaflets are not included in the rules concerning posters. So before you say he was in clear violation of the rules, check that you know what the rules are.

The Election Committee’s approval exists, and can be proven. This is a fact that they have conveniently ignored.

• grumpyalum

It’s YCC elections. 17 people care and that’s about it. It’s always been that way and it should continue to be that way.

If someone got pushed out, good for their competitor. As a friend of mine would say on remarking his many uncontested elections in Yale activities: “Velvet glove, iron fist.”

• yale11

sounds like grumpyalum lost his/her election

• bulldog12

In the interest of accuracy, it’s true that Ivan entered people’s bedrooms while they weren’t there and left flyers on their desks. As in, he first opened doors into empty common rooms, then opened doors into empty bedrooms, then proceeded to cross those bedrooms to place flyers on desks on the other side. He did that to at least one college that I know of. Personally, that makes me really uncomfortable.

@phantomllama: Isn’t is possible that JE14 knows from experience that it’s true, just like me? I was in a suite next door to the suite described above when he came in to give me his flyer, and 20 min later my friend got back to her empty suite and found his flyer on her bedroom desk. An hour later, another friend returned to find a flyer on the desk in her empty room as well.

• ChrisPag

Even taking that all at face value, I still feel really bad for Ivan–I want that restriction to be clarified for everyone in the future. I’ve done newsletter drops for three years at Yale, often walking into open common rooms and occasionally slipping sheets under bedroom doors. If my desk/workspace was in my room, I would have no problem with people walking in and dropping stuff off on it.

I don’t know; I understand that Yalies should be able to exercise a right to privacy, I just wish it wasn’t assumed as the norm during a time in our lives that we should take advantage of as highly social. My suitemates who care about privacy lock their doors, but not our common room door–clear signal.

• Leah

@ChrisPag, I’ve seen your suite. There’s no need to lock your room doors, no one would make it through your common room alive.

In all seriousness, I would like to see the News do a little reporting on the Ivan disqualification. I assume phantomllama is an Ivan supporter, or Ivan himself, but it shouldn’t be hard for xer to substantiate the allegations if s/he’s actually got timestamped email documentation. I’d be very disappointed in the YCC if a candidate was DQ’d with no chance for appeal or discussion in these circumstances.

• trum13

Ivan opened the door to my suite, then opened my bedroom door, then walked across my bedroom and placed the flyer on my bed. And did so for every one of my suitemates and most of Trumbull. That takes a lot of dedication, but I don’t know how he ever thought it was even remotely appropriate. Trumbull doesn’t have locks on individual bedroom doors, so we don’t have the option of locking them; just because my common room door is unlocked is not an invitation to open my bedroom door. He certainly did not merely slide flyers under our doors.
    Even if the Election Committee gave him a handwritten note of permission, I hardly think they believed he would be quite so zealous. Personally, I’m grateful that they took to take a firm stance on what was a huge breach of privacy.