It’s not Halloween. The people patrolling campus tonight in capes, masks and costumes are a product of senior society tap night. Festivities officially begin at 6 p.m., according to an advertisement published in the News by the Society Council.

A sign is hanging at the entrance of Sterling Memorial Library in preparation for the event. The 8.5-inch by 11-inch notification reads, “Alcohol is not permitted in the library.” A security guard on duty Monday night explained that the sign is temporary and was created in preparation for tap night.

Campaigning. Yale College Council presidential candidate Brandon Levin ’13 emailed science and engineering majors on Monday explaining how his platform relates to them. Promises included working to offer more dining options on science hill, to get MCAT testing locations on campus and to improve the shuttle schedule between central campus and Science Hill.

Yale Police Department Chief Ronnell Higgins explained to the News on Monday that he does not and will not endorse any YCC candidates, despite appearing in one of Katie Donley’s ’13 events director campaign ads. Higgins explained that he did not realize the photo, taken during Saturday’s Freshman Olympics, would be used in the context of a campaign or that any text would be added. Donley said she detailed the purpose of the photo to Higgins, but apologized for the apparent miscommunication.

Retired general and Yale professor Stanley McChrystal will help run a new White House program called “Joining Forces,” which will work to provide support for military families, The New York Times reported.

Yale Law School professor Bruce Ackerman and Harvard Law School professor Yochai Benkler have written an open letter calling on the U.S. government to end the “degrading and inhumane” detention of Bradley Manning, the man charged with passing classified information to WikiLeaks. The letter has been signed by nearly 300 scholars.

As the sun broke through the clouds Monday, water began flowing out of the Morse College fountain.

The Dog days are beginning. Yale University Dining emailed students to inform them that Commons is closing at 8 p.m. Wednesday “to host an event for Bull Dog Days.”

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1962 A worker at the new Co-op site is killed when the crane he is operating collapses on top of him.

YALE DAILY NEWS