The library held a memorial service at Battell Chapel Saturday for University Librarian Frank Turner, who died of a pulmonary embolism Nov. 11. The service ended with a reading of one of Turner’s favorite passages from Charles Darwin’s “On the Origin of Species.”

University President Richard Levin wrote an op-ed for the Sunday New Haven Register about the importance of public funding for higher education. “Through the research we do, the flexible work force we educate, and the social mobility we provide, our colleges and universities make essential contributions to America’s prosperity,” he wrote.

Twenty students got stuck in an overloaded Branford College elevator for about 20 minutes around 11:30 p.m. Saturday night during the Crushes and Chaperones dance. One intoxicated female fainted while waiting for the fire department to come.

The Berkeley College Council is offering refunds for tickets to Friday’s “BK GLO” dance, which traditionally turns the college’s multipurpose room into a blacklight club, because it had to remove decorations after the fire marshal deemed them hazardous.

Believe In People, the graffiti artist who illustrates on the sides of buildings around New Haven, stenciled an image of Holocaust victim Anne Frank on a whitewashed brick wall in the parking lot between Partners Cafe and 353 Crown. A drawing in a similar style was also found on the side of Dunham Laboratory on Hillhouse Avenue.

Yale’s experimental theater group, Control Group, built what they dubbed “The CGeodesic Yurt” out of PVC pipes and masking tape on Old Campus on Sunday. Members danced and squatted inside of the structure while one standing on stilts played a melodica.

City Hall has hired Rebecca Bombero as its new legislative director, according to a press release. Bombero, who has worked in the city’s office of Management and Budget since 2007, replaces Adam Joseph, who currently serves as director of communications.

Pierson Lunch. The Pierson Student Activities Committee is hosting “Pierson Meals,” a program which pairs Piersonites for lunch in the same vein as Yale Lunch.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

2001 Yale’s unions, Locals 34 and 35, vote to support the Graduate Employees and Students Organization and Yale-New Haven Hospital workers, who are attempting to organize.

YALE DAILY NEWS