Two shot at Toad’s Place

The two men shot inside Toad’s Place were taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital with non-life-threatening wounds.
The two men shot inside Toad’s Place were taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital with non-life-threatening wounds. Photo by Alon Harish.

Two men were shot inside Toad’s Place Wednesday night, and the culprit remains on the loose.

New Haven Police Department spokesman Joseph Avery confirmed the shootings, saying it occurred around 10:48 p.m. during a local hip-hop showcase at Toad’s. No Yalies were involved, but members of the Yale community should avoid the area, Yale Police Department Chief Ronnell Higgins said in an email to the Yale community sent at 12:25 a.m.

Shortly after the shootings, York Street outside the nightclub was filled with police and emegency vehicles and the two shooting victims were seen being wheeled out on stretchers. They were taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital with non-life-threatening wounds, NHPD Sergeant David Guliuzza said at the scene.

Guliuzza said there were multiple shots fired inside the club. He added that he did not know if the two men shot were the intended targets.

A person who was in the club when the shooting occurred, but asked not to be identified, said that after shots were fired, fights started breaking out and people started throwing chairs at each other.

In his e-mail to the Yale community, Higgins added that although no one was taken into custody, the police do have the description of one male suspect. As of early Thursday morning, he has yet to be apprehended.

One of the men who had been shot was seen sitting up and talking on the stretcher. The other man was lying on his back with his eyes closed.

Both Yale and New Haven Police Departments were on the scene, but a Yale Police Department sergeant said that the YPD would not be handling the case at all — it falls under the purview of the NHPD, he said.

Over 40 Yalies were temporarily trapped in Lily’s Pad at a society event, and were not seen leaving the building until around 11:17 p.m. Students leaving the event said they had not heard the shots.

The usual Wednesday night dance party was cancelled.

Alon Harish contributed reporting.

Does anyone see a trend here? I live 300 miles away and I can see the noose of violence tightening around Yale’s Gothic neck over the last 18 months. It is at your Adam’s Apple if it has arrived at Toad’s Place.

• 201Y1

Stop being a drama queen, PK. Just because Toad’s is closer to campus than, say, Hula Hank’s, does not mean the “noose of violence” is tightening. The nature of this violence in the same; until THAT changes, Yalies should not be getting overly worried.

• Hieronymus’ Bosh

Goodness! Where’s “Sara” at a time like this to make SENSE of it all? Remember: she believes that New Haven violence NEVER impacts students! (You know, like we’re each toting a personal patronus or sumthin’…)

• SDiddy

I happened to be at the center of this dispute. My friend Mike pushed my other friend Tyrone because Tyrone was hitting up Mike’s girlfriend Tyra last week, and then things kind of escalated when Tyrone called Tyra a heffer, and before I knew it my gun was out. I was just trying to get them to calm down. Then that white guy with the turban, the guy who does the lights at Toad’s, came out of nowhere and shot both of them. True story.

• Goldie08

Two shot for the price of one?

Drama?

Do you read your own paper? : “Murders and shootings abound over break” (James Lu)

When you have lived half of your life in New Haven, I will defer to your opinions on the matter.

Two of my cousins in separate bands perform at Toad’s Place. I was mugged a block from there in the St. Thomas Moore Parking Lot. People tried to sell me cocaine in broad daylight near Patricia’s Restaurant. The violence is drug and alcohol exacerbarted and fueled by covetousness, whether of Yale drugs and money or simply Toad’s patron’s drugs and money and by male sexual rivalry and racial bigotry.

The Yale Campus Police Chief is correct: Stay away.

Drama? Do you read your own paper ? : “Murders and shootings abound over break” (James Lu)

When you have lived half of your life in New Haven, I will defer to your opinions on the matter. Two of my cousins perform at Toad’s Place. I was mugged a block from there in the St. Thomas Moore Parking Lot. People tried to sell me cocaione in broad daylight near Patricia’s Restaurant. The violence is drug and alcohol exacerbarted and fueled by covetousness, whether of Yale drugs and money oi simply Toad’s patron’s drugs and money. Add male sexual rivalry testosterone to the mix and it’s a recipe worth avoiding.

The Yale Campus Police Chief is correct: Stay Away.

Drama? Do you read your own paper? : “Murders and shootings abound over break” (James Lu)

When you have lived half of your life in New Haven, I will defer to your opinions on the matter. Two of my cousins perform in separate bands at Toad’s Place. I know what goes on there.

I was mugged a block from there in the St. Thomas Moore Parking Lot. People tried to sell me cocaine in broad daylight near Patricia’s Restaurant. The violence is drug and alcohol exacerbarted and fueled by covetousness, whether of Yale drugs and money or simply Toad’s patron’s drugs and money, male sexual rivalry and racial tension.

Drama? Read your own paper (James Lu): “Murders and shootings abound over break”.

When you have lived in New Haven for 30 years I will defer to your opinion.

Two of my cousins perform in bands at Toad’s. I know what goes on there: Gender and racial tensions fueled by alcohol and covetousness of sexual partners and drugs, flourish.

I was mugged two blocks from there in St. Thomas Moore parking lot. Someone tried to sell me cocaine in broad daylight half a block from Patricia’s. I don’t live in Disney-Yale.

I know what’s going on around the area. Having followed the headlines for 18 months, I would say the city is a trifle out of control.

Didn’t YDN just report New Haven made the 20 worst cities to live in list?

PK

Wake up.

Drama? Read your own James Lu’s article two days ago in YDN: Murders and shootings abound over break

• harbinger

The only trend is young inner city black males continue to kill each other at an alarming rate, in whatever venue they find handy. The fact they may decide to do it when innocent members of the community are between them is something more constructive to be paranoid about.

Drama? Read your own “Murders and shootings abound over break”
    By James Lu

• firstamendment

Drama?
    Try reading your own YDN 3/22
    “Murders and shootings abound over break”
    By James Lu

• cwakefield2011

sounds like granddad needed to keep closer tabs on riley last night…

• InterestedInBiology

Oh, go away, PK. Seriously. You’re 300 miles away – and it’s obvious that you’re 300 miles away. Just stop.

• _1_Y_1_

Drama? Try reading your own News 22nd of March “Murders and shootings abound over break”, James Lu, Staff Reporter.

• harbinger

I’ve lived more than half my life in New Haven. Grew up in Fair Haven, went to Wilbur Cross, and except for being called away for miltary service have lived here pretty much over 50 years. I work at Yale and wander the streets quite a bit. I travel to other university and college locations fairly often. And you know what, New Haven is better than some and worse than others. It’s what we’ve sadly come to expect from an inner city environment. Yes it’s worse than when I was a kid, but back then the gangs just beat you up and threw you off the Grand Avenue bridge. Use a little common sense and pay attention to your surroundings and you’ll be just as safe as you can expect to be on most urban campus locales. If this makes you paranoid, just think of what goes on in the city that the NHPD doesn’t even bother reporting.

I’m not going away.

New Haven is my birthplace. I lived here and in Hamden for 30 of my 66 years.

My impoverished uncle started the first bi-racial church in New Haven (Rockview-Brookside Community Church in 1946); my grandmother lived two blocks form Yale in a ghetto apartment with no hot water (1940-63); My cousins still perform in bands at Toads to this day; My work prevented an epidemic of AIDS in New Haven in 1984 by getting 60 Minutes to reveal for the first time in the USA evidence of heterosexual transmission of AIDS (by a New Haven prostitute).

I have a long history here which rivets my interest in the place. Sorry smug Yale. I am not going away.

PK

PS What’s up with the re-peat posts above? They wouldn’t display at all when I hit the “view your post” option.

1956 fro that bi-racial church.

201Y1:

So let’s see: Toads is 20 feet from the home of the Whiffenpoofs and 30 feet from Sterling Library’s back porch and the noose of New Haven violence is NOT tightening around Yale’s Gothic neck?
    GMAB.

PK

• Goldie08

It’s funny to see the subtle changes in PK’s identical posts from above. I can picture him at his computer just seething because the comments won’t post, re-writing the same thing for a 4th time.

Seething because I can’t determine if the problem is on my end or YDN’s end and because the webmaster ignores my emails!

Apparently every time I tested it, my post was accepted but not recorded. I even tried from a work computer and a home computer: Identical result.

And then I created a new account “freespeech” to see if the problem was generic or specific to my account—and to tweek them if YDN was censoring me.

No such luck!

I’m not that much of a nuisance I guess.