Three events organized by students and faculty will take place on campus tonight for the disaster in Japan. At 6 p.m. in the Loria Center panelists will discuss the situation resulting from the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear crisis. At 8:30 p.m., a candlelight vigil will take place on Cross Campus; at 9 p.m., the Hope for Japan fundraiser will occur in the Berkeley Dining Hall.

Will it ever end? A winter weather advisory is effective until 10 a.m. Thursday, according to the National Weather Service. Up to two inches of snow are predicted to accumulate.

250 student tickets are still available for the NCAA Regional Hockey Tournament, Assistant Athletic Director of Ticket and Rink Operations Jeremy Makins told the News. If the tickets are not sold, they will go on sale to the general public. Tickets are available at the Ray Tompkins House from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. only.

Minnesota governor and Yale hockey alumnus Mark Dayton ’69 said he will root for the “Bulldogs” in the NCAA tournament this weekend. The catch? Yale shares the canine nickname with the University of Minnesota-Duluth — and the two teams might play each other on Saturday.

Yale economist Robert Shiller published an article Tuesday on Project Syndicate, a website featuring expert opinion editorials. In the column, Shiller says the next speculative bubble will occur in the farmland market: “my favorite dark-horse bubble candidate for the next decade or so is farmland … [it] seems to have the most contagious ‘new era’ story right now,” he writes.

Miranda Cosgrove, star of Nickelodeon’s “iCarly,” announced that she has applied to Yale, according to 06520, the Yale Alumni Magazine blog.

The annual Junior Class Dinner will be held next Tuesday in Commons and will feature a “Cajun Cravings” theme, according to a Wednesday email from 2012 AYA Representative Ben Schenkel ’12.

Yale researcher Leora Horwitz published an editorial in the British Medical Journal explaining why fewer work hours for doctors has not increased patient safety or reduced malpractice, according to a Wednesday Office of Public Affairs & Communications press release.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1917 A group of students marches to President Arthur Hadley’s house in a “patriotic parade.” Hadley addresses them saying, “brains, not brag, wins the wars of today.”

YALE DAILY NEWS