BREAKING: Two shot at Toad’s

The two men shot inside Toad’s Place were taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital with non-life-threatening wounds.
The two men shot inside Toad’s Place were taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital with non-life-threatening wounds. Photo by Alon Harish.

UPDATED: 12:27 a.m. New Haven Police Department spokesman Joseph Avery confirmed two men were shot at Toad’s Place on Wednesday night 10:48 p.m. during a local hip-hop showcase.

They were seen being wheeled out on stretchers and were taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital with non-life-threatening wounds, NHPD Sergeant David Guliuzza said.

Guliuzza said there were multiple shots fired. He also said that he did not know if the two men shot were targeted. No members of the Yale community were involved, according to a 12:25 a.m. email from YPD Chief Ronnell Higgins.

He added that no one was taken into custody but the police do have the description of one male suspect, who is currently on the loose.

One of the men was seen sitting up and talking on the stretcher and the other man was lying on his back with his eyes closed.

Both Yale and New Haven Police Departments were on the scene, but a Yale Police Department sergeant said that the YPD will not be handling the case at all — it falls under the purview of the NHPD.

Someone who was in the club when the shooting occurred, but asked not to be identified, said that after shots were fired, fights started breaking out and people started throwing chairs at each other.

Over 40 Yalies were seen leaving Lily’s Pad around 11:17 p.m., many of whom confirmed they were at a society event.

The Wednesday night dance party has been canceled. Higgins cautioned Yale students to avoid the area.

• hapinachu

I can’t imagine the shooters being Yalies.

• _1_Y_1_

WHY WAS WEDNESDAY NIGHT DANCE PARTY CANCELLED?

WTF?

• travel3r

One of the shooters is still on the loose right now. Chances that people coming out of Bass or Sterling will unknowingly run into him.
    Better question: Why hasn’t Chief Ronnell A. Higgins warned us as soon as he got the news???
    Good job YDN on the speedy report!

• anon12

Its important that we’re informed of these things. But be realistic. This guy wasn’t a danger to Yale students/random strangers. He got in a fight at a show. Doesn’t mean he’s gonna suddenly attack Yalies.

• Yalie_00_

“Higgins cautioned Yale students to avoid the area.” Ok, so avoid the entire area surrounding the main campus?

• misfit

Shots, shots, shots shots shots shots, EVERYBODY! If you ain’t gettin’ shot, get the f**k out da club!

Seriously, they should catch this guy.