CLARK TO PLEAD GUILTY

needham_lethursday-161
Photo by YDN.

Raymond Clark III, the accused killer of Annie Le GRD ’13, will plead guilty to the murder on Thursday.

Beth Merkin, one of Clark’s public defenders, said her client plans to change his plea from ‘not guilty’ to ‘guilty’ at a regular pre-trial meeting on Thursday. This means that Clark’s case, she said, will most likely never reach trial, and will instead result in an out of court settlement.

“Assuming this plan goes as it is supposed to, the guilty plea would mean that there would be no trial,” Merkin said.

A guilty plea will also most likely result in a lighter sentence for her client, she added.

“Generically, if a case’s evidence is very strong, and the trial would result in guilty, then someone would usually do much better with an out of court resolution,” Merkin said.

Merkin could not comment on the specifics of the case because sentencing discussions will not occur until after the change of plea.

Clark’s guilty plea will come almost a year and a half after his arrest for Le’s Sept. 8, 2009 death. Clark was arrested and charged with the murder on the morning of Sept. 17. He pleaded “not guilty” to charges of murder and felony murder on Jan. 26, 2010. The latter charge means that Clark could be found responsible for Le’s death if it occurred during another felony such as kidnapping.

Nearly 95 percent of all criminal cases in New Haven courts result in a guilty plea, Merkin said.

The guilty plea will go on the record at New Haven court at 11 a.m. on Thursday.

• joey00

I should wait until thursday to comment.. Wow , he did it.. They said he did it.. I guess they were right..But do we get an explanation ? Or does Annie Le’s family get any sort of explanation as to why ? What happened ?

• Quals

I have some rope that the court can borrow.

• mulberryfield

Wow what a long and tragic road this has been. I only hope that the truth comes out. I’m sure he’ll try to say it was an accident, which is entirely possible. I don’t see him fessing up if he’d been obsessed with her (which I think he was).

• doubleblue

A trial is something that families usually think they want but most find that they compound the trauma many times over. I’m glad for the family’s sake that Clark is willing to take responsibility.

• winteralfs

I’m glad for the family’s sake that Clark is willing to take responsibility.

—-

Clark, as well as his loved ones, have never shown a bit of remorse, regret, respect or humility sense day one. He knew he did it and still did everything possible to cover up the crime, to the point of inflicting unbelievable misery on the Le family, a missing daughter, then a desecrated one. Then almost 2 years of prolonged agony over a looming trial and unknown details concerning their Annie’s death.

Now, only because it is in Ray Clark’s interest does he grudgingly admit guilt, to at least something.

What a sickening, cowardly and weak man.

• Quals

Well put winteralfs.

• rpYale57

A more reasonable interpretation than murder is that the graduate student was trying to retrieve a loose experimental animal, became stuck in the duct or passage and suffocated during her struggles to get free.

• volleygirl86

…how the hell is that a reasonable interpretation, rpYale57?

• jnewsham

I think enabling comments on this article simply invites trolling at the expense of Annie Le, as we have already seen.

• doubleblue

—————————————————–
    I agree. Did not mean to imply at all that his willingness to plead guilty made him any less self-interested, sickening, weak or cowardly. I’m just glad for the family’s sake that there will be a guilty plea.