Letter: Give your peer some privacy

Re: “Franco, #getittogether” (Feb. 26): Please refrain from commenting on James Franco’s tweets, etc. His commentary is directed towards his fans, not the Yale community. Does the Yale Daily News regularly comment on other students’ tweets or emails? No. His invective reflects your personal, out-of-context attack.

There were celebrities on campus when I went to Yale. The Yale Daily News ignored their presence and we, as a student body, ignored their celebrity status. Please allow Mr. Franco this unique gift. Unless your goal is to work at TMZ, a little empathy would do you well.

Scott Putnam

Redding, Calif.

March 2

The writer is a 1989 graduate of Morse College.

• River Tam

Well said, Mr. Putnam

• JackByron

Very well said! I have before been afraid this infamous attack would be left uncommented and destroy part of the credibilty of this site.

• dfsdfs

agreed. good job

• Saybrook10

Game, set, match: Scott Putnam ’89.

• Crandall

Please Franco opened the door to this, himself. He’s making his degrees and his daily academic life one of his main selling points. Like it or not, with celebrity comes criticism. If you want your private life private, keep it so. But if you are going to flaunt your academic pursuits to help sell yourself…you’re going to get commentary…

• ByZaika

Dear Scott, other celebrities do not try to host/be in every event possible and then fail miserably. A person must have some sense not to undertake projects that they are not capable of succeeding in.

• yale_senior

Honestly, what everyone is missing is that the blog post was clearly humorous, poking fun at the unspoken worshiping of franco at this school (and the inane criticism of him), while also implicitly alluding to the feebleness of a YDN critique of him right before his oscar’s hosting.

That Franco replied to her post on twitter with a picture of himself over which was written “F**k you Yale Daily News” shows the lightheartedness of this whole affair (or provides disturbing evidence that Mr. Franco is severely emotionally stunted). This extremely dry and lightly self-deprecating humor is understood pretty readily by Yalies in 2010; however, it seems that the same can’t be said for Yale’s even fairly recent alumni.

• Inigo_Montoya

*This extremely dry and lightly self-deprecating humor is understood pretty readily by Yalies in 2010; however, it seems that the same can’t be said for Yale’s even fairly recent alumni.*

(not to mention James Franco fans who show up on the YDN boards). Well said, yale_senior.