Fisher: Pick Mitt over Mitch

As the race for the Republican Presidential nomination begins to gain momentum, would-be candidates need to meet two key criteria. First, they need to have a policy platform to drag America away from the high-spending statist outlook that has characterised the Obama administration; second they need the profile and experience to take on Obama and win.

Many names that have been touted meet one of these requirements, a testament to the responsible and determined manner in which Republicans have managed on positions of authority. But only one candidate unites competence, conservatism and electability. That man is Mitt Romney.

Despite the high visibility of the Students for Daniels group on Yale’s campus, at the recent CPAC conference, Romney soundly defeated Daniels in the straw poll of potential nominees. His 19 percent lead at the conference, half of whose attendees were college students, showed his ability to gather support amongst conservatives of all ages.

Romney’s commitment to public service was clear even before he held elected office. While living as a private citizen, he was called to save the 2002 Winter Olympic Games from financial ruin, a testament to his leadership ability.

During his tenure as Governor of Massachusetts, a traditionally liberal state, Romney showed that he wasn’t afraid to make tough decisions, imposing major spending cuts that turned the state’s $3 billion deficit as he entered office at the start of 2003 into a $700 million surplus by the end of 2004.

Unlike Barack Obama, who ascended rapidly from being a community organizer to holding the highest office in the nation, Mitt Romney has both the real-world background needed to understand business and the administrative experience that qualifies him to serve as President. Romney, in contrast to Obama, has proven time and again his ability to solve financial problems within both the private and public sector.

Neither unnecessarily divisive nor afraid to hold conservative views, Romney has articulated a clear and coherent vision for the nation over many years. As a signatory of Americans for Tax Reform’s Taxpayer Protection Pledge, his commitment to fiscal responsibility and living within our means is clear. Now, more than ever, it’s a commitment that America is crying out for.

Some have suggested that Mitt Romney’s Massachusetts healthcare plan, or his Mormon faith, are a barrier to his attainment of the Presidency. However, his view on health policy is straightforward: let each state choose the right solution to fit their needs. As for the second objection, surely the nation’s looming fiscal disaster renders moot any discussion of our President’s religious beliefs.

Whilst many of his rivals either articulate social policy designed only to please Glenn Beck listeners, or refuse to even engage with the issues at all, Mitt Romney offers a nuanced, moderate and rational perspective on to the issues that matter to millions of Americans. Throughout his political career, he has demonstrated an ability to address contentious issues with sensitivity and restraint, something that Barack Obama has lacked time and time again.

With Mitt Romney at the helm, we wouldn’t have seen our President nationally brand the Cambridge Police Department “stupid” for its arrest of Henry Louis Gates Jr. before he even knew the facts. We wouldn’t have seen the man we expect to represent America to the world launch into childish and damaging attacks on BP, a company that needed assistance, not condemnation, from an administration that was sadly more concerned with political posturing than clearing up the mess.

Let’s be realistic: America will face struggles in the coming years. As nations around the world are realizing, making up for decades of overspending and deficits is far from easy. It requires leadership. But asking Barack Obama to sort this problem out is like asking a turkey to vote for Christmas; indeed, his recent plans for “budget cuts” actually involve an increase in the deficit. Whilst Republicans are ready to come to grips with reality, Obama is wasting his time engaging in vacuous and costly posturing. We simply cannot go on like this.

This election will be about more than choosing who should lead America for a few years; the decisions the American people take in 2012 will define our future for decades to come. If we do not step back from the brink of ruin now, we will never have the chance again. We have a choice: four more years of listening to Barack Obama apologize for America and make excuse after excuse for failure after failure without ever accepting a morsel of responsibility; or a fresh start with a man who has a proven track record of balancing budgets and leading a state. America needs a Republican President. America needs Mitt Romney.

Alex Fisher is a freshman in Morse College and the national political director of Students for Mitt Romney.

• jorge_julio
  • Madas

And Paul wiped the floor with Romney’s 19%. Romney is a conservative statist with Romneycare being unfortunately visible evidence of that. He’s not against big government, he just thinks he can make it run more efficiently by trimming here and privatizing there. Given the choice between the money-grubbing statist and the generous-if-financially-incompetent statist that is usually the democratic candidate, the average voter might as well pick the generous guy. Neither one is going to fix the structural flaws in our welfare state that are killing the future. Given that choice, this real conservative might just vote for Mickey Mouse.

If he wins the nomination, Romney will lose the strongest parts of the grassroots conservative base and lose the election.

• Leah

“Some have suggested that Mitt Romney’s Massachusetts healthcare plan, or his Mormon faith, are a barrier to his attainment of the Presidency. However, his view on health policy is straightforward: let each state choose the right solution to fit their needs. As for the second objection, surely the nation’s looming fiscal disaster renders moot any discussion of our President’s religious beliefs.”

Does that mean that Romney’s Mormonism would be a legitimate concern for voters if only the financial situation were less serious?

• roflairplane

FYI Fisher is British. He’s not an American citizen, and he can’t vote. The political director of Students for Mitt is a foreign national. Should we perhaps leave American presidential politics to Americans?

• adamstempel

“With Mitt Romney at the helm, we wouldn’t have seen our President nationally brand the Cambridge Police Department “stupid” for its arrest of Henry Louis Gates Jr. before he even knew the facts. We wouldn’t have seen the man we expect to represent America to the world launch into childish and damaging attacks on BP, a company that needed assistance, not condemnation, from an administration that was sadly more concerned with political posturing than clearing up the mess.”

-
    Mitt Romney: Slightly more skeptical of black people than Obama.
    Mitt Romney: Friend to Big Oil.

This are the things Romney would have done better than Obama? Good luck on the campaign!

• phantomllama

@roflairplane – not that America’s never involved itself in the politics of other countries, of course…

• cappi

We definitely need a R president and a neo con to put a jet pack on our race to the bottom. More wars, more tax cuts for the uber rich, more subsidies for our most profitable industries, more anti union activity, more intrusion into our privacy, more jobs sent offshore. What’s not to love?

• flyersandfloyd

“America needs a Republican President. America needs [Pre-2008 Presidential Election Campaign] Mitt Romney.”

Fixed.

• Goldie08

“Does that mean that Romney’s Mormonism would be a legitimate concern for voters if only the financial situation were less serious?”

Yes. It’s still a legitimate concern for me now. I don’t know how a man as educated as Romney can look voters in the eye and essentially say he believes that crap. It throws all his other judgements into question

• elijah

If there’s anything that I’ll never understand, it’s how people can say that they don’t know how Romney can believe “that crap” but be completely ok with other candidates looking voters in the eye and claiming that they believe that a Jew from two millennia ago turned water into wine, healed blind people by touching them, came back from the dead and is going to show up again, eventually, to lead the world into a new era of paradise or whatever.

Religions have doctrines and dogmas — how can you attack Romney for his Mormonism and not attack other candidates for their religions? Show me one reason that any form of Christianity is somehow more reasonable than Mormonism? The only reason I can see is that it’s more popular, and far be it from me to endorse deriding a man’s campaign just because he believes something unpopular. This kind of rhetoric is full of resentment and prejudice, and is completely unhelpful.

• River Tam

I think it’s ironic that the poster above me has the username “elijah”.

• Goldie08

Elijah – I agree with everything you say.

• elijah

Then you must not have been able to trust any President ever, since they all believed in God and were Christians — or at least claimed to.

And River Tam, thank you for the (as always) constructive comments. My name comes from the Bible; so does that of a staggering proportion of our population. Big whoop.

• RexMottram08

Romney is a turd. A generic suit who thinks his $ and mediocre experience as MA governor entitles him to hold the Presidency.

Failed to beat the most pathetic GOP candidate this side of Bob Dole…

Mormon…

RomneyCare…

Flip-flopped on abortion…

Inspires no one…. look for Mitt to become liberals’ new favorite Republican…