Letter: Endangered species?

As Yale plans for the upcoming YES-W event and continues to actively recruit science majors, I encourage the University to also focus on keeping its current science majors not only alive, but also injury-free. When classes are in session, and the shuttle service is suspended due to adverse road conditions, the sidewalks up Science Hill are often just as dangerous as the street. They are frequently neither shoveled nor salted. And, while Yale obviously needs to recruit freshmen science majors, it behooves the University to also retain its current science majors, which is far easier and less expensive than also recruiting science transfer students.

Ellen Klein

Jan. 27

The writer is a sophomore in Trumbull College.

• coldy

Haha! Excellent letter. Blunt and concise. Yale admin, you got zing’ed!

• Leah

Too true. I have to walk to the School of Public Health and the College St. sidewalk was not shovelle or salted at all for several days. For half a week, the walkway on the bridge over the highway was pretty much solid black ice. Plenty of people (including me) took spills. I would have fallen into the street except for the four foot high walls of snow.

• penny_lane

“They are frequently neither shoveled nor salted. And, while Yale obviously needs to recruit freshmen science majors, it behooves the University to also retain its current science majors, which is far easier and less expensive than also recruiting science transfer students.”

Conventional wisom from the sales/service industry that the University should certainly apply: It costs far less to retain a current client than to recruit a new one. (In this case, the “client” is a science major.)