Perhaps the four years Barbara Bush ’04 spent at “the Gay Ivy” had its effect on her —Bush plans to officially endorse same-sex marriage on Tuesday.

The decision — which will put her at odds with her father, George W. Bush ’68, on this issue — comes from what she says is her dedication to equality as a New Yorker.

“New York is about fairness and equality. And everyone should have the right to marry the person that they love,” she said in a pro same-sex marriage video message from the Human Rights Campaign.

Bush attributes much of her opinions on the gay community to her time at Yale, where she spent much time surrounded by openly gay friends. In an article in the New York Times, a gay Yalie friend of Bush said, “she was loved by the gay community at Yale.”

Although Bush is the most recent to break from her Republican parent on this issue, she is not the first; Meghan McCain, daughter of Senator John McCain, and Mary Cheney, lesbian daughter of Vice President Dick Cheney, have both expressed their desires to promote same-sex marriage. Dick Cheney has since changed his opinion on the matter to support his daughter.

This action on Bush’s part is rare — she usually does not comment on American political issues. In New York, she has both worked in design and started a nonprofit organization focused on global health.