Science recruits invited to Yale

With a new program in February, Yale is hoping to attract more science and engineering students who will one day walk up Science Hill.
With a new program in February, Yale is hoping to attract more science and engineering students who will one day walk up Science Hill. Photo by Jane Long.

Yale is launching a new science spinoff of its “Bulldog Days” program for select applicants interested in science and engineering.

The weekend of Feb. 19, Yale will host the top science and engineering recruits among its regular-decision applicants for two to three days at what the University has named theYale Science and Engineering Weekend, or YES-W. The 60 to 80 prospective students will attend discussions with professors and students, tours of the University’s facilities, and presentations on Yale’s science and engineering offerings. The admissions office has planned the weekend as part of a larger effort to attract the best science students.

Yale wants to change its reputation as a school that is much weaker in the natural sciences than in the humanities or social sciences.

“We want to make sure we’re recruiting the top students in these areas,” said Jeremiah Quinlan ’03, deputy dean of undergraduate admissions. “We face very strong competition for these students from our main competitors…the idea is that April, our traditional recruitment month, is so compressed that we would like to give them an extra opportunity to explore what is available in science and engineering.”

Quinlan said YES-W is a new phase of an initiative to advertise Yale’s science and engineering programs to prospective students. Over the past few years, Quinlan said, these recruitment efforts have been focused on outreach. The admissions office has created a separate science and engineering viewbook in addition to the University’s general viewbook for prospective students and hosted three science and engineering forums spanning the East Coast this fall.

But, he added, YES-W will focus on a phase of recruitment that begins after applications have been submitted: convincing students to matriculate at the University.

The applicants invited to YES-W have not yet been accepted to Yale because they applied under Yale’s regular decision program. But, Quinlan said, they will receive “likely letters” – notifications from the University that indicate that the candidate will likely be admitted to Yale unless there is a significant shift in their academic performance.

Michael Koelle, associate professor of molecular biophysics and biochemistry, said he and his colleagues are optimistic that YES-W will contribute to changing the University’s reputation in terms of its emphasis on science.

“There is a perception among high school students that Yale is more of a humanities and social sciences university,” Koelle said. “This is a misperception – there are incredible opportunities for students to do individual research here.”

Vincent Wilczynski, deputy dean of the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, helped plan YES-W and said his colleagues have been overwhelmingly enthusiastic about the event, which they see as a means of connecting personally with the high-quality candidates who may attend Yale.

Invitations to YES-W will be mailed starting this week, Quinlan said. Koelle said he and other professors spent a day last week reading through applications choosing which students to invite to the weekend.

“We were looking for the most outstanding applicants who are definitely interested in the sciences and engineering,” he said.

During YES-W, prospective Yalies may attend a undergraduate research symposium, a science-focused extracurricular bazaar far smaller than the bazaar held during Bulldog Days, and a tour of the Medical School led by David Hafler, chair of neurology at the Medical School and professor of immunology. In addition, the attendees will have lunch with professors from various science and engineering departments, at which they can discuss the professors’ research and opportunities for student participation.

Quinlan said the program is also intended to allow the prospective students to meet and make friends – hence the need for events such as “Junk Yale Wars,” at which prospective students will be divided into teams and asked to build a “Rube Goldberg-esque device” with provided materials, and a movie and game night at which liquid-nitrogen ice cream will be served. The admissions office reached out to scientists and engineers in the student population and asked them to host the YES-W invitees, he added.

“We’re asking [the prospective students] to come out here in February and it’s going to be cold and snowy,” Quinlan said, “so we want to make sure there’s a lot for them here.”

Quinlan said that since YES-W is a pilot program, it is small this year both in the size of the invited class and in its budget. But, he said, if the program is successful, the admissions office will host it again next year. Quinlan also said some of the events – such as the lab tours and the research symposium — may be replicated at Bulldog Days this year.

Over the past five years, Yale’s number of science, technology, engineering and mathematics applicants has increased by about 52 percent, compared to a 40 percent increase in overall application numbers. During this time period, the number of enrolling students who say they wish to major in one of these areas has increased by about 18 percent.

• Madas

Being a science student, this is insulting. Yale will “host the top science and engineering recruits among its regular-decision applicants”… If Yale is going to this length, then obviously she feels she didn’t get what she wanted before. So I guess I’m second rate.

Got news for you, Yale. The reason you don’t graduate top quality science students is because your science programs stink and a great many of your science recruits flee to greener pastures. Junkyard wars? Like you actually use hands-on curiculum or make any attempt to create interesting lessons in science/engineering. Give me a break; this program won’t accurately represent Yale, but I guess you have to lure them here somehow. Unless you change the work-overoad and general mind-numbing nature of your curiculum, you’ll continue to recruit people you thought were “the top,” only to find them fleeing to departments that treat them like human beings. Couldn’t be happier in my new department. Do you know my professors don’t assume I have no concerns but their class (also, they don’t see my as either a lab grunt or a burden)? Must be the much-vaunted people skills of the liberal arts types…

• Hounie13

This does not at all assume that science students at Yale are not top-rate. Yale is going to these lengths so that UPCOMING top-rate science students come to Yale instead of our peer institutions. The point is to keep very intelligent and capable students coming to Yale. It makes perfect sense to do, especially with the view that Yale doesn’t have a science program.

• VermiciousKnid

There is no point attracting top-rate science students if the administrations do not address the fundamental problems with its science programs. Most “science recruits” coming to Yale also excel in other fields and given enough deterrents, they will look for greener pastures. I’m guessing there’s a major discrepancy between the percentage of admitted applicants who say they wish to major in the sciences and engineering and the percentage that actually do. I wouldn’t say the professors and courses are terrible, but there is nothing special or inspiring about them. As a science major, my defining moments at Yale are mostly related to humanities courses.

The biggest bone I have to pick is with the engineering department. Yale can throw as much money as it wants into research, but that does NOTHING to improve the quality of the education and its allure to prospective undergraduates. What attracts science students to a place like MIT is not the list of offered courses. Its reputation rests a lot on the learning environment outside of class and the countless number of exciting student projects that everyone hears about. Guess what? It requires a lot of time and commitment from the faculty and funding from the school. It’s one thing to not promote things like that, but to actively make it difficult… The lack of hands-on experience is disgusting. Most of the graduating mechanical engineers have minimal machine shop experience… and Yale wonders why their engineering degrees don’t get respect. And God forbids the engineering machine shop offers instruction. Fortunately, the chemistry department does. Until people starts giving a ****, YES-W is not going to solve anything.

• beeker

if it’s the Yale Science and Engineering Weekend, shouldn’t it be YSE-W? Not YES-W? Just sayin’….

• JE09

This seems desperate.

I also hate the idea of Yale separating labeling students as science or non-science students. Don’t we all come to Yale to receive a liberal arts education, regardless of the field in which we specialize?

• River Tam

The reason student engineering projects don’t get any publicity at Yale is because the rest of the campus is too caught up in their YPU-YDN-Secret Society circlejerk.

MIT is a top engineering school because engineers get respect and – shockingly! – people like to go places that they’ll be respected.

At Yale, engineers are treated as third-class citizens not by the administration, but by their own classmates.

• tclady

As an engineering student, I think this is a terrible idea for recruiting at Yale. People that decide to come to this weekend may not come to Bulldog Days as a result, thereby missing out on learning that one of the most valuable resources for Yalies in science and engineering is the access to liberal arts and extra-curriculars. If Yale is really concerned about attracting these students, they should add an extra day or two onto the Bulldog Days program especially for these students, or make it at least a little bit apparent during Bulldog Days that Yale HAS engineering and sciences. Prospective students that come here for a weekend to spend it entirely on science hill will have no idea what Yale is actually all about.

• yale2010

Hold the phone here- I loved every minute of Yale science and I think its great that Yale is finally making it a major selling point. The resources are there, so why not go all-out in pitching them to the top incoming kids?

• ctlimo

before yale goes off spending thousands of dollars trying to recruit more science students, how about invest in a basic necessity to improve quality for current science students. For example, many students need to eat lunch up science hill, because they have lecture in the morning followed by lab in the afternoon. The ONLY place to buy lunch using the meal plan is a disgusting, corner of the lobby of KBT, where it takes about 10 minutes to buy a tiny, overpriced sandwich, since there are so many other students with no place else to go. This is absurd, and yale wonders why more students don’t major in science.

• tonykez

Would you like to be an illiterate or a sophisticated scientist and/or engineer? I have a BS and MS Mechanical Engineering from a school that has all the “hands on courses” including, machine shop, welding, building robots and all the other things you may think you need. However, I never used those “hands-on” courses when I started working in the “real” world! I was too valuable to spend my time building things that my technicians could do much faster and better. Just two years after doing the technical work, I was moved to management position —– that was the end of my technical knowledge. I needed humanities course to be able to motivate and lead others to get the job done, political courses to be able to manage office politics, and literature writing courses to be able to effectively communicate to upper level managers.
    You decide; would you like to take humanities courses or a welding course? I wish I could have taken other courses like the ones offered by Yale!

• aluminterviewer

Look, you have to start somewhere to break the cycle, and this seems to be a needed initiative. Lets face facts: Yale too often loses out to Harvard, Stanford, Princeton and MIT – both with initial applicants and cross admits – who are interested in the sciences.

If facilities and resources are going to be improved and strengthened that is great – but you also have to let top science students know about it so that they will start to consider Yale more seriously than they have in the past.

• Undergrad

@Madas: The fact that you found the workload too hard is not an indication of the quality of Yale’s science programs–if you couldn’t do it here, you probably wouldn’t have been able to do it anywhere. Do you really think it would’ve been easier if you’d gone to MIT? Then there wouldn’t have been a good humanities program to switch to, and you’dve been stuck, and depressed. The fact that Yale is trying to recruit science students is not an indication that non-science students are “second rate”–it just means we need more science majors. For example, my department, Geology and Geophysics, literally has a 2:1 faculty-student ratio, and there’s a lot of outstanding opportunities that aren’t being taken advantage of. And if your professor saw you as a “lab grunt” then you probably picked the wrong professor to do research with.

@River Tam: I think this idea of a lack of respect between science and non-science majors is largely imagined. True, I did have a horrible suitemate freshman year who thought science majors were wastes of space at Yale. But I also have very good friends who are humanities and social science majors. The vast majority of students here are very down-to-earth people, who have plenty of respect for students in other disciplines. We can’t take what a few stuck-up students say and assume those attitudes apply to the entire Yale population.

The bottom line is, the major strength of Yale’s science programs is that it offers a good curriculum, and great research opportunities, within the context of a liberal arts education, and Yale should use this event to try to emphasize that.

• aluminterviewer

The 80 extra “likely letters” in order to entice science-minded students to visit and possibly enroll indicate the seriousness of the problem and the necessity for a response. All you have to do is check application trends at Yale (and Brown) in recent years. Far more females than males applying; males admitted at a much higher rate in an effort to “balance” the student body; admitted males matriculating at a noticably lower rate than females.

This gender imbalance largely reflects the greater interest of males in the sciences (and that, of course, is another issue.) Harvard, Princeton and Stanford, with larger and stronger science programs, currently have a near 50/50 male/female balance in applicants. MIT, whose applicants are overwhelmingly interested in the sciences, not-unexpectedly has an applicant group which is heavily male. In order to redress this imbalance, MIT (reversing the bias at Yale and Brown) admits females at a far higher rate than it does males.

• joe29sb

G&G REPRESENT! I agree with everything Undergrad said. Science at Yale is wonderful. If you’re not having a great experience, you should just talk to more people. Most professors are incredibly friendly.

• River Tam

> @River Tam: …The vast majority of students here are very down-to-earth people, who have plenty of respect for students in other disciplines.

But that’s not really the point. First off, it’s undoubtedly true that your freshman suitemate has an attitude more common at Yale than at schools like MIT and Stanford, or even Harvard and Princeton. Second, “respect” is not sufficient. Students seek *approval* from peers. At Yale, the attitude is less “wow, that’s really cool” (as it is at Yale’s peer institutions), and more “aw, that’s cute… now excuse me – I have to get back to yelling about the heteronormativity of the welfare state for the next eight hours.”

That difference, even it’s only a 10% swing in approval (hint: it’s more) is enough to discourage a lot of good applicants from going to Yale. Build a bike with no spokes at MIT and you’re a rockstar. Do it at Yale, and no one even notices.

• Leah

@River Tam, I don’t know if you’re a current student or not, but I know plenty of science majors and enthusiasts in the YPU. I’ve definitely gotten support for my personal engineering projects from my classmates and many of them have taken up some of my recommendations for science/engineering classes.

• AsianAdvantage

If Yale is serious about boosting its profile in the sciences, then the admissions office ought to look seriously at boosting the number of Asian-American students from the current percentage of about 15% to 20% and more–like Stanford and MIT. One need only look at the ethnic backgrounds of the Intel STS 2010 Finalists (just released today) to see what I am talking about.

I remember an article published last year in the Boston Globe by a former Yale admissions office reader entitled: Do Colleges Redline Asian-Americans?” Here’s the author’s punchline: “But would Yale be willing to make 50 percent of its freshman class Asian? Probably not.”

But is 20 to 25% Asian-American possible? The ball is in Yale’s court.

• aluminterviewer

To Asian Advantage:

There are many conflicting admissions goals that have to be balanced in order to obtain a “diverse” student body. Gender, SAT scores, potential majors, extracurricular talents, economic, ethnic and cultural background must all be taken into consideration.

Here, for example, is how top colleges are doing in seeking a representative fraction of African-American matriculants:

http://www.jbhe.com/2010survey.html

• 1234qwer

The unfortunate consequence of all this negative discourse is that the many students interested in Yale for its science/engineering programs are only going to be turned off by reading these comments… the school is actually trying to improve efforts in recruitment, no matter how misdirected or naive you think the methods are, but complaining about the programs accomplishes nothing in that regard.

• AsianAdvantage

@aluminterviewer: “There are many conflicting admissions goals that have to be balanced in order to obtain a “diverse” student body…”

This is true. And Yale will have to decide if it wants to be “diverse” or” relevant” in the sciences. To be both while maintaining the same overall demographic profile would be next to impossible.

• Hounie13

That is a very problematic statement, AsianAdvantage, to assume that the only way to strengthen our science programs is to admit more Asians. There are many qualified white, black and Latino science students at Yale and elsewhere who can perform just as well in the sciences. We just need to find them.

• AsianAdvantage

@Hounie13 – “That is a very problematic statement.”

The problem is Yale’s, not mine. For example, 28 out of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists just named today appear to be Asian-American, six are Caucasian females and none have Hispanic surnames. Obviously, I can’t tell how many Black candidates there are of the 12 non-Asian candidates, and of course, these are just educated guesses. But do the math–you don’t need to be a USAMO finalist to figure out where Yale needs to recruit for science talent–and it’s not at schools like Compton High School (LA) or Dunbar High School (DC), places that I’m sure very few Yale science students call alma mater.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to get ready for the inevitable chants of “You’re a racist!”. But of course, NY Times columnist Thomas Friedman (no conservative, mind you), pointed out the very same thing recently about ethnic profile of the Intel STS finalists, but no one called him a racist.

• weee

Yep, we exist! And for the record, I love my science courses.
    - Hispanic female science student, Y’13

• tspwt4

As a parent of a current REA admit with a very strong interest in science and engineering as well as an equally strong love of the humanities, I must admit to some concern after reading some of the comments. Yet, having read much about the school of interest to my student, I can’t imagine that the faculty there is anything less than extremely caring and dedicated to their students as well as their work.
    We would, however, be saddened if there are many students with the attitude that science majors are a waste of space at Yale.

• vaeliant

As another REA admit with an interest in both sides of the spectrum, I have to reiterate that the really negative discourse present in the comments acts as a huge deterrent/turn-off for these science students that Yale wants so badly. I’d like to just point out the HUGE self-selection bias that must be the case for most of these posters to my potential classmates- don’t be dissuaded by a few bitter people.

• Undergrad

@River Tam: It’s not like the YDN doesn’t care about science either–that was where I found out about the spokeless bike (which is now, I believe, in the engineering library in Becton if anyone wants to go see it).

And I was basically exaggerating about my suitemate. When talking a friend of mine, who was pursuing a double major in Biomedical Engineering and Economics as well as pre-med, he said he thought it was a waste of a Yale education–I’m not sure if he meant a waste of an admissions slot and that someone else should’ve been admitted instead, but I kind of interpreted it that way. And he didn’t show me much respect either, but one of the people he did count in his inner circle was actually an Astronomy major.

• aluminterviewer

Some people can do it all.

One of this year’s Intel Finalists also won the National Spelling Bee when he was 13.

I wonder if Yale will be flying him in on Feb. 19!

http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_17207365?nclick_check=1

• Yale12

AsianAdvantage: I think you’re confusing “resources” and “parental/school support” with “talent.” There are no Intel STS Finalists from Compton High School, that’s for sure – but that DOES NOT mean that there are no students *capable* of becoming Intel STS finalists, had they had the same resources/parental support that the Asian and Caucasian STS finalists almost certainly had. If those students can demonstrate their *potential* in applying to Yale, and that they have done all they can in their environment, they should be considered just as highly as your precious Asian science students. And they will have just as much, if not more to contribute as students from less diverse backgrounds.

• science11

@vaeliant, tspwt4 , and any other prospective students that may be lurking: Congratulations, and please don’t be scared off by some of the comments here! Here’s some n=1 anecdata from the other side of the spectrum:
    Four years ago, I got a likely letter and was wooed into attending Yale despite some initial reservations about its focus on science. Now, I’m a senior physics major, and I haven’t regretted my decision for a second. Based on my experiences, Yale science professors are very approachable and excited about working with undergrads. Every professor that I’ve approached about doing research has been very enthusiastic and proposed numerous research projects for me to choose from (no grunt work or beaker washing!). Consequently, I’ve had the opportunity to do research for 3 years, in 2 different labs across 2 different departments, which has led to a couple publications. The professors that I’ve worked with have been extremely accessible, frequently meeting with me for several hours a week instead of farming me out to grad students. From summer internships elsewhere and talking with friends at other universities, I understand that this level of accessibility is pretty rare. My advisors have also been really great about encouraging me to apply for scholarships and fellowships and helping me prepare grad-school applications. I can’t speak for other departments, but the physics classes are enjoyable, well-taught, and challenging (take 410 with Doug Stone!), and the chair frequently has lunch with undergrad majors. The only antagonism between science and humanities students that I’ve seen has been confined to anonymous internet message-boards ;) .
    I hope you choose Yale!

• Archit Sheth-Shah

To the EA admits/parents above: as a biomedical engineering major here, I’ve never come across anyone who doesn’t respect my major or has ever considered me a “waste of space,” and the vast majority of the science classes I’ve taken have been well-taught. In fact, I’d say that the sciences (and especially engineering) at Yale are especially great for students who want interaction with their professors and teaching assistants because there are fewer students to begin with. I would highly recommend coming and visiting Yale and just talking with current science and engineering students to get a feel of the programs and curricula here. To this end, I think what Yale is doing could be great — while the sheer amount of activities and Yale spirit during Bulldog Days is something to witness, it could be helpful for science students to have two focused days to get a snapshot of the science departments here. I do agree with the poster above that science students shouldn’t see this as a separate event from Bulldog Days, but rather something to augment their visiting experience.

Oh, and ctlimo is right — we really do need a dining hall at the top of the hill, or at the very least, undergrad access to Donaldson Commons, especially November – February.

• tspwt4

Archit Sheth-Shah, science11, thank you for the thoughtful comments and information. Our student will be attending Bulldog Days, and we will seek connections with current science and engineering students and faculty.
    In regard to meal plan eating on science hill, I do hope improvements can be made for you. For science majors I’m guessing this adds up to quite a few sub-par lunches.

• wabbit

Um…as one of said 60-80 students, I must say that some commenters are being complete buzz-kills. Still, I’m so un-freaking-believably happy I feel like I can fly! :D

PS, thanks to the current-student-types who made me feel better. :)

• Yale08

I was a Yale MechE (ABET) grad and am going to weigh in here. It is pure ignorance to say that Engineers and Scientists aren’t respected at Yale – usually, respect isn’t accorded by your ‘major’ and it hardly was a determining factor in conversation when I was an undergrad. I had friends who were in the sciences, engineering, the liberal arts and lord knows what – and there were people I liked in all of those fields. In fact, if at all, my friends gave me props for taking one of the toughest roads at Yale (in terms of requirements) when academics played into the discussion. But lets assume that you aren’t getting respected as an Engineer, just for kick’s sake – why AREN’T you ECSTATIC, now that the scientists and engineers are getting this sort of attention? If this program will be anything close to Bulldog Days, it will be phenomenal and give these 80 students a taste of Yale. And one final word – my peers in science and engineering were brilliant – they were some of the best in the country and it makes me proud to see them going to the top graduate schools out there.

• Yale12

Are you kidding? As a Yale humanities major, I have way MORE respect for students who are pursuing the sciences here! I’m much more impressed by somebody telling me they’re majoring in something whose name I don’t even understand than an American Studies major who will write the 15,000th senior thesis on Abraham Lincoln.

• Jaymin

I’m quite content being a bio major here at Yale. My classes may be tough, but that is too be expected given the subject matter inherently requires a lot of fact-learning and quantitative analysis. Ive had bounds of opportunites thrown at me – I’m working at a great lab at the med school, I taking an certIfication-bound EMT class in my evenings, I’ve taken classes atthe school of pulic health, still have had time to pursue an Econ major on the side, spend loads of time with the YPU, get to write for campus publications. I honestly see nothing I regret or find lacking and I very muc feel compelled to eventually donate back my financial aid in gratitude.

• Jaymin

^ wow. So many grammatical errors – typing on an iPhone sucks.

• roganjosh

Diversity? What diversity? People with low SATs are grossly under-represented in every Yale College cohort!

Diversity is idiocy.

• Madas

@ Undergrad:

Aww, what nice advice. What makes you think I couldn’t cut it? I have As in most of my classes. Did I mention I skipped many of them too? Why? Because they’re boring as sin. I’m not faulting the program for being too rigorous. I’m faulting it for not putting all the work students do towards an interesting and rewarding purpose. Doing lots of problem sets merely to do problem sets: boring and uncreative. Doing lots of problem sets so you can build a better blank during the class: more work and waaay more fun.

@tonykez:

Yeah, of course you should have a well-rounded education. That is why I came to Yale. However, Engineering requires something like 26 credits with prereqs (out of a total of 36 to graduate) with more if you can’t the 4.5 credits of language needed. With that kind of course load, it’s really hard to take any appreciable amount of humanities classes outside of the major even if you want to (and most people don’t. trust me). The actual engineering curriculum is almost devoid of practical experience until your Senior year. I agree with most of your points, but don’t forget you had the benefit of learning those technical skills at some point. I don’t think you understand quite how little some people here know. The department uses your reasoning that somehow its engineers are better because of the focus on theory, but when you design it is REALLY helpful to know whether your design is build-able and, if so for how much. Even in management, I imagine some conception of suboordinates’ understandings of the ultimate manufacturing process if helpful. Maybe a certain designer knows more about a cheaper process. Put him on the design. Also, theory does not translate to reality very well in all cases. Again, it’s nice to know how your pretty scribbles translate to a prototypes. I’ve seen seniors who can’t build *anything* (quite literally). That’s frightening because you should have some inclination of what happens when someone builds your design. The fact that many engineers don’t is one of the biggest complaints about engineers from mechanics and such. Try asking one sometime. Finally, it’s just fun to break up monotonous problem sets with some hands on work. I know it’s why a lot of my friends and I got into the subject to begin with. It’s a total buzz kill when your partners in a project can’t pull their weight through no fault of their own.

Don’t agree with me? Fine, no problem. I gave up trying to change people’s minds and went my own way. I got what I wanted on my terms. It was hard; sometimes it sucked, but I’m happy with the classes I cobbled together from multiple majors. I’ve developed my communication skills, speaking ability, writing ability, fabrication ability, and theoretical background, but I will NEVER pretend the science and engineering departments had much to do with that. New admits, I wish you a better experience than I had, but I don’t expect you to get it.

• DeRham

Just to add the chores of current students who are happy about sciences here:

I am a freshman who loves math and physics here. Although the departments are relatively small you get to know people a lot more and all the faculty is extremely friendly. I’ll comment specifically about Math (which always seems to get it worst when compared with Harvard/MIT/Princeton/Stanford). Math here is really awesome and there is no shortage of talented, motivated students and good professors. Often people get turned off of math early due to relatively sub-par teaching intro calculus classes (for some reason the math faculty always places there new professors there), but the higher number classes are really good and I have uniformly like them even when I got relatively poor grades on assignments.

I will say that if you (prospective students) are looking for entirely math/science friends at college, you probably shouldn’t come here. This is not to say that there isn’t a math/science community, there is the Yale Undergraduate Math Society which hosts weekly meetings with guest speakers (we had one recently on p-adic numbers, had one a few weeks ago about the Kepler problem) which are geared to be accessible to all “mathy” people. There are also other social events, at 4:00 in the math department there are cookies, tea and professors to “hand out” with. However, outside of these contexts there are tons of relatively non-science majors who are awesome in their own way. One thing that really surprised me was people who might seem to hate science classes love to learn about random advanced concepts like Lorentz transformations or tensors (to name a few things that I was asked to explain earlier today).

So yeah, if your lucky enough to be invited to this awesome program, definitely do it! But still go to Bulldog days!