Keith Olbermann may be old news at MSNBC, but if a movement that got underway this weekend succeeds, he could be your next Senator for Connecticut.

“Stranded Wind,” a writer for the liberal blog Daily Kos, kicked off an effort to draft the liberal TV anchor to run for the U.S. Senate seat Sen. Joseph Lieberman ’64 LAW ’67 plans to vacate in 2013 after the end of his fourth term. So far, over 600 people have “liked” the “Draft Olbermann for Senate” page on Facebook, and @DraftOlbermann has almost 250 twitter followers. Olbermann has yet to address the grassroots movement publicly; according to a post on the group’s Facebook page, the Olberfans will take his silence as “an invitation for us to keep organizing the effort.”

“I’ve got messages back from folks with Facebook groups that have five digit subscriber counts indicating that they’ll help,” Stranded Wind wrote. “This effort will get its legs under it very shortly.”

Should he choose to run, Olbermann, who last week announced abruptly he would be leaving MSNBC and his show “Countdown” effective immediately, would be entering the fray against two strong Democratic contenders: former Secretary of the State Susan Bysiewicz ’83 and U.S. Rep. Chris Murphy of Cheshire have both officially announced their candidacy.

[via Wonkette]