News’ View: Rethinking sophomore advising

The so-called “sophomore slump” is a difficult time for Yalies caught between their bright-eyed freshman year and the complicated realities of upperclassman-hood. But the peer-advising program proposed by the Yale College Council, which envisions seniors advising sophomores, would not help.

An added layer of advising would waste resources that could improve existing advising or mental health services. Stripped of the concrete responsibilities of FroCos, “residential college counselors” offer little more than the advice that any casual older acquaintance would provide. Further, paying seniors to essentially hang out in their rooms during “open room hours” would attract counselors for all the wrong reasons. Most importantly, many sophomores — including all those interviewed by the News about the proposal — don’t believe it would add to the resources that already exist.

The real solution lies in improving the current, underperforming system of sophomore advising. The administration needs to push professors to take sophomore advising seriously and engage more directly and frequently with advisees. But students also need to meet their advisers halfway by reaching out to forge the relationships that will make the system worthwhile.

The “real solution” lies in finding meaning in MERCANTILIA, aka the consumer society.
    Money and its pursuit are EMPTY GOALS.
    Willy Loman

• TobacXela

Is there any justification for just disabling his account?

That might be an honor.

Why do my writings even trouble your eyes for an instant?

All you have to do is SKIP them, the way you would a column by someone not to your liking: That quack again!

Just turn the page so to speak.

It is the need some have not merely to discount or trivialize my voice but to ERADICATE it from the Yale scene, which fascinates me.

Where does that come from? I must be pushing some people’s “control” buttons.

I totally ignore people like Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin except when they make it into the headlines for tarmac drug deals and inordinate clothing expense accounts.

Just ignore me.

To put it in your INTERNET jargon, DNFTT (Do Not Feed the Troll), although I prefer the term Sproll and have written about it as recently as yesterday http://theantiyale.blogspot.com

Or is your need to pulverize somewhat larger than your need to simply move on to a more interesting subject?

• YC_11

@TobacXela – Who? I don’t see any other posts. ;)

But seriously, TAY creeps me out. The idea that guy used to be a TEACHER is scary….

• JoeJackson

We should look on the bright side. Imagine having to interact with him in person — he’s like that long-winded self-obsessed uncle who grabs you at Thanksgiving to give you pointless and pompous lectures on stuff that matters only because it is about HIM.