Subpar shooting foiled the women’s basketball team’s attempt to snap a five-game losing streak Monday night. A Yale team that shot just 33.3 percent from the field dropped its sixth consecutive game after Fairleigh Dickinson handed them a tough 59–57 loss in a game that came down to the wire at the John J. Lee Amphitheater.

Despite trailing the Knights (4–4) by a double-digit margin in the second half, the Bulldogs (1–6) rallied to get back into the game. In the end, though, their comeback came up just short, as the Bulldogs committed a last-minute turnover and could not get a last-second shot off.

The Bulldogs were once again without starting guards Megan Vasquez ’13 and Yoyo Greenfield ’11 and forward Ericka von Kaeppler ’13, who were all still not cleared to play after colliding in practice last week.

“They were a team that was very hungry for a win,” head coach Chris Gobrecht said. “They smelled blood, they saw a wounded animal and they went into a feeding frenzy.”

Forward Mady Gobrecht ’11 recorded a double-double in the contest and ended the night with 13 points, 10 rebounds and six assists. Janna Graf ’14 added 10 points for the Bulldogs, while guard and forward Alex Osborn-Jones ’14 tallied seven points in her collegiate debut.

“I think today was a really good way to show how everybody can contribute,” guard Allie Messimer ’13 said. “I think it was a good chance for everybody to step up and show what they can do.”

The Knights’ Jasmyra Saunders led all scorers with 16 points. Mariyah Laury also chipped in with 13 points and four steals for FDU.

Yale started the first half by taking an early 8–4 lead after Graf hit a shot from beyond the arc at 16:40. Six minutes later a field goal from forward Alicia Seelaus ’13 put the Elis up 17–9.

But the Bulldogs saw their lead diminish as FDU outscored the Bulldogs 14-2 over the last four and half minutes of the half. A layup from Laury with 2:03 left in the first half tied the game at 24–24, and a 3-pointer from Amy Longo gave the Knights a 27–24 lead. FDU also scored three straight layups in the final 50 seconds to push their lead to eight points and take a 33–25 edge into the locker room.

“I think we had a couple of breakdowns in a row, and we let their intensity get to us and affect us too much,” Messimer said. “They just had a really quick run and we got down and didn’t recover too well from it until the second half.“

The Bulldogs opened up the second half by cutting the deficit to four points following a jumper from Janna Graf and two free throws from Mady Gobrecht.

But the Knights fought back, pushing their lead to 15 after Esther Wallace sank a shot that made the score 54–39 with 9:16 left in regulation.

Still, the Bulldogs found a way to claw back into the game. A layup from Michelle Cashen ’12 and a 3-pointer from Aarica West ’13 reduced FDU’s lead to five points with 3:07 left to play. Another layup from Cashen pulled the Bulldogs within one point with 1:24 on the clock.

After Knight guard and forward Alannah Driscoll-Sbar missed a jumper, Yale grabbed the rebound, but promptly turned the ball over. Laury took possession of the ball and was quickly fouled by the Bulldogs and sent to the line to shoot free throws. Laury hit one of two shots from the charity stripe to give FDU a slim 59–57 lead.

The Elis had one last possession with 14.2 seconds left, but they were not able to get a shot off before the buzzer sounded, and the Knights were able to emerge with the win.

“We turned the ball over too many times in the last minute of the game,” coach Gobrecht said. “We’ve got people that have got to play better. There’s no excuse for not playing as well as they’re capable of playing.”

Yale will try to break its losing streak tonight at home against Sacred Heart at 7 p.m.