The Whiffenpoofs advanced to the next round of NBC’s “The Sing-Off” after their performance of Mika’s “Grace Kelly” on the show’s season premiere Monday night. “Somewhere out there, George W. Bush is smiling,” host Nick Lachey said. The next episode airs tonight at 8 p.m. on NBC.

The School of Medicine psychiatry resident who was banned from campus after he was arrested last September has pled guilty to carrying a pistol without a permit, the New Haven Register reported. Because of a plea bargain, he will serve 18 months in prison.

Not your average gingerbread house. Students can build and eat “Postmodern Gingerbread Houses,” similar to buildings designed by architect James Frazer Stirling, at the Yale Center for British Art Thursday night. “Notes from the Archive: James Frazer Stirling, Architect and Teacher” will be on display at the gallery until Jan. 2. The gingerbread festivities will be ongoing from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.

“The Education of the Virgin,” the Yale University Art Gallery painting now known to be painted by Diego Velazquez, will go on display at the gallery Dec. 9. Over the summer, John Marciari GRD ’00 attributed the painting to the master in an article in Ars Magazine.

A bone marrow drive will occur at the Afro-American Cultural House on Park Street Friday. There was also a drive Monday.

LOL CATS. Stiles got cats, according to an e-mail from Dean Camille Lizarribar over the weekend. The 13-week- old cats, Moxie and Bliss, made a cameo in the dean’s office Friday. “I hope they will consent to be trained as occasional office cats,” Lizarribar wrote.

“Operation Ivy League.” Five Columbia students were arrested for selling drugs in what New York Police termed Operation Ivy League Tuesday, the Columbia Spectator reported. All pled not guilty. As of press time, one was prepared to post bail, the Spectator reported.

Students in Pericles Lewis’ “Ulysses” seminar read the final episode of the novel in an off-season Bloomsday celebration Tuesday night at the comparative literature library.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1937 Members of Jonathan Edwards hold a beer party. About 75 students sing in the common room gathered around the piano. They are preparing for their Christmas party.

Correction: December 9, 2010

An earlier version of this post said that four of the Columbia students arrested were taken to Rikers Island. According to the Columbia Spectator, they were at Manhattan Detention Complex even though the Special Narcotics Prosecutor’s office said they would be transferred to Rikers. As of Thursday, now two of the students have been released on bail.

YALE DAILY NEWS