Former Yale Law School Dean Harold Hongju Koh, the legal adviser to the U.S. Department of State, sent a letter to the head of WikiLeaks urging him not to release State Department documents, published Sunday in several news organizations. Among other consequences Koh listed in the letter, he wrote that publishing the documents would “place at risk the lives of countless innocent individuals.”

A runaway general no more. Retired U.S. Army General Stanley McChrystal appears to be settling in at Yale and will teach a course next semester on the same topic as his current course, leadership, according to an e-mail sent last Tuesday to directors of graduate studies from the registrar at the Jackson Institute for Global Affairs. The course will meet six hours per week between Feb. 7-18 and between April 11-22.

The question was … Sam Spaulding ’13 placed second in the “Jeopardy!” College Championship. Even though he didn’t win the top prize, he answered the Final Jeopardy! question correctly and won $50,000 in prize money.

A graduate of Yale’s Teacher Preparation Program created a Facebook event “Save the Teacher Preparation Program and Education Course at Yale!” The program is set to end in June. As of Sunday night 386 people were attending the event.

New Haven was star-studded Tuesday when comedian Bill Cosby, Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick and President and Chief Executive Officer of the Humane Society of the United States Wayne Pacelle ’87 visited. The New Haven Register reported that Vick and Pacelle talked about animal creulty at two local public high schools. Cosby visited a local K-8 school and Southern Connecticut State University.

It didn’t rain on his parade. Whiffenpoof Nathan Calixto ’11 performed during the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade with other cast members of NBC’s “The Sing-Off.” They sang U2’s “Beautiful Day” during the broadcast. The Whiffenpoofs are on the season, which debuts Dec. 6.

Early decision applications to Dartmouth College and early action applications to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology went up, according to The Dartmouth and The Tech, respectively. The Brown Daily Herald, though, reported that Brown’s number of early decision applications dropped slightly.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1966 The Yale College Council Executive Committee gives a letter to undergrads to “delineate the consequences of stealing” in an effort to stop students from shoplifting in the Elm City.

YALE DAILY NEWS