THE NEWS

• New Haven Promise will not likely affect the number of public school graduates who attend Yale, according to New Haven Public School administrators. Emily Byrne, Founding Interim Director of New Haven Promise, said the initiative does not make getting into college any easier, so she does not expect a significant rise in New Haven Public School students attending Yale.
  • With less than eight months until the end of the University-wide “Yale Tomorrow”development campaign, donations have accelerated. Yale raised $159 million between July and September 2010 — the first quarter of fiscal year 2011 — compared with $89 million during the same period last year. The improvement results from national economic recovery and a final wave of giving from donors in the last year of the five-year campaign, said Inge Reichenbach, vice president for development. Yale had raised nearly $3.2 billion toward the goal as of the beginning of November, she said, keeping Yale ahead of schedule to reach its goal of $3.5 billion.
  • CheckedTwice.com, an online gift website founded by Andrew Swick SOM‘11,helps avoid the holiday nightmare of receiving the same gift twice.

The idea for the business began when Swick’s older sister, Rebecca Hyatt, the Chief Technology Officer and co-founder of the site, received three identical Robert Frost anthologies in the holiday season of 2002. But born from the disastrous gift situation was a new business idea – an online gift registry to ensure that no one else would receive duplicate presents. Users register on the site to coordinate gift-giving, which provides links to items on Amazon.com.

THE WEATHER

High of 55 degrees, low of 41 degrees, drizzle and fog

THE FOOD

Menus not available.

YALE DAILY NEWS