Divinity School student arrested for sexual battery

A Yale Divinity School student was arrested Thursday on sexual battery charges involving a 17-year-old boy.

The student, Herron Gaston DIV ’13, was taken into custody by U.S. Marshals in New Haven. He faces four counts of sexual battery on a boy he helped mentor in a summer program at the University of South Florida.

The Tampa Tribune reported that Gaston met the boy during an Upward Bound program at the University of South Florida. Gaston was brought in as a camp counselor for the program, which provides academic support and counseling to high school students from low-income families.

Ronnell Higgins, assistant chief of Yale Police, said his department was made aware of the arrest Thursday. He added that the Yale Police assisted the U.S. Marshals in the arrest by accompanying them onto campus.

Divinity School Dean Harold Attridge did not return requests for comment, and Divinity School Director of Communications Gus Spohn declined to comment.

At Yale, Gaston is studying to become ordained in the African Methodist Episcopal Church, the Tribune reported. A graduate of Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University, he worked in the Florida state government as a Gubernatorial Fellow, through which he studied government and public service.

Three Divinity School students contacted said they were unaware of Gaston’s arrest.

USF police were notified of the allegations on Oct. 29.