Letter: A missed perspective

We appreciate the fact that you covered the Oct. 25 faculty panel “Deconstructing the DKE Incident: How, Why, and What Next?” that was sponsored by the Yale College Dean’s Office, the Intercultural Affairs Council and the Yale College Council (“Faculty give academic perspective on DKE,” Oct. 26). We write to note and to rectify the glaring omission of mention in your article of the analysis presented by Professor Inderpal Grewal, Chair of the Program of Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies at Yale, one of the four faculty panelists at the event.

As an expert in transnational, global approaches to the study of gender, Professor Grewal brought together concepts from the fields of cultural studies and postcolonial feminist studies to analyze the DKE incident in light of contemporary popular culture, social media and militarism. Notably, Professor Grewal brought to the conversation the crucial analysis of the link between violence against women at the chant’s start and its “militaristic masculinity” as it continued to “F–k Al Qaeda, F–k Al Qaeda” and “USA, USA” at the end.

Shirley McCarthy and Laura Wexler

Oct. 29

The writers are co-chairs of the Yale Women Faculty Forum.

Professor Grewel’s research is news only to a generation which has discarded Freud: ALL weapons which are longer than they are wide are phallic symbols: swords, riffles, guns,canon, airplanes, boms, missiles, rockets, ad infinitum.

And we wonder why gendercide.com says over 90% of all death row inmates are male?

rifles, bombs

• ignatz

The more glaring omission, it seems to me, is a sense of wonder and incredulity that an institution ostensibly dedicated to education could harbor within it something as foolish and destructive as a “Program of Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies” in the first place.

• RexMottram08

WF Buckley Jr: “Well, I think if you study it as history or if you study it as sociology or even if you study it as anthropology it’s interesting. What is not interesting is to study it ideologically, and I have a feeling that an awful lot of ideology is creeping into the study of the progress of Chicanos or blacks or women. That is not only, I think, mischievous intellectually, but I think also it tends to crank up an ideological view of the world that gets in the way of clearer vision after you’ve graduated.”

• GSAS11

That really comes as a surprise from a man who also said: “The central question that emerges – and it is not a parliamentary question or a question that is answered by merely consulting a catalog of the rights of American citizens, born Equal – is whether the White community in the South is entitled to take such measures as are necessary to prevail, politically and culturally, in areas in which it does not predominate numerically? The sobering answer is Yes – the White community is so entitled because, for the time being, it is the advanced race. It is not easy, and it is unpleasant, to adduce statistics evidencing the median cultural superiority of White over Negro: but it is fact that obtrudes, one that cannot be hidden by ever-so-busy egalitarians and anthropologists.”

It’s easy to see what sort of social science he and his fans really want. Hint: it tends to crank up an ideological view of the world that gets in the way of clearer vision.

• River Tam

Brilliant. We blame men for militarism and then insist that women are equally capable soldiers.

“it tends to crank up an ideological view of the world that gets in the way of clearer vision after you’ve graduated”

Are youi KIDDING?! This is EXACTLY what Bill Buckley did with National Review and Firing Line: View the nworld through his Commie Scare lens. I believe he continued to defend Senator Joseph McCarthy and his Communist Witch Hunt long after the booze and a few courageous truth-speaking individuals brought the fraud to his knees.

Pk

• RexMottram08

PK- the battle vs. Communism was a battle we could have lost. We won. Thank God.

• pablum

Praise be to Reagan! Amen.